Power Rangers

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
JimmyLo

Re: Power Rangers

Postby JimmyLo » 09 Apr 2017, 03:48

Brett wrote:I did not really like the movie. The suits didn't really reflect the old ones enough at all. The fighting scenes seemed kinda crap, the zords looked crap, the megazord did not reflect the old megazord in the slightest.

To me, the megazord did not look like it was made up of five separate zords, it just looked like on giant robot. I know they tried to make it seem like it was by not bringing them all together in one control room, but it just didn't sit well with me.

The morph was so mediocre. I expected something bigger, it all just seemed very 'meh' to me. Overall, I was really disappointed in the movie. Hopefully the next one will be a little more exciting.

Totally get it. All that stuff really messed it up for me originally when they sort of showed it in previews. I get changing the costumes but the megazord? The 1995 movie had a different megazord but with cooler costumes. I felt that if the costumes we gonna change than up the anty on the original megazord to pay homage. That really is the biggest beef with all the changes- fine, change the costumes, the looks, Rita, but the original megazord was AWESOME.

Pluses though with this version were Zordon and Alpha. Those were a neat upgrade. Big changes visually but worth it.

One thing the first 3 seasons of original Power Rangers doesn't really get into is the alien part of the story. As the series goes on you learn more about their origin in space. This movie did a good job at emphasizing that humans are given alien powers to protect life right from the get go. I really liked that - it gave the Rangers more purpose and set up really neat potentials for any sequels and explained the background much better without having to backtrack to make it make sense (the word "Zeo" was used in the first 2 minutes of the movie, but it was never heard until season 4 of the original show).

I give it a B+, personally. I totally see why people had issues with it but I also think it added to the franchise as a whole, rather than take away from/ruin it.
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 09 Apr 2017, 05:58

JimmyLo wrote:
Brett wrote:I did not really like the movie. The suits didn't really reflect the old ones enough at all. The fighting scenes seemed kinda crap, the zords looked crap, the megazord did not reflect the old megazord in the slightest.

To me, the megazord did not look like it was made up of five separate zords, it just looked like on giant robot. I know they tried to make it seem like it was by not bringing them all together in one control room, but it just didn't sit well with me.

The morph was so mediocre. I expected something bigger, it all just seemed very 'meh' to me. Overall, I was really disappointed in the movie. Hopefully the next one will be a little more exciting.

Totally get it. All that stuff really messed it up for me originally when they sort of showed it in previews. I get changing the costumes but the megazord? The 1995 movie had a different megazord but with cooler costumes. I felt that if the costumes we gonna change than up the anty on the original megazord to pay homage. That really is the biggest beef with all the changes- fine, change the costumes, the looks, Rita, but the original megazord was AWESOME.

Pluses though with this version were Zordon and Alpha. Those were a neat upgrade. Big changes visually but worth it.

One thing the first 3 seasons of original Power Rangers doesn't really get into is the alien part of the story. As the series goes on you learn more about their origin in space. This movie did a good job at emphasizing that humans are given alien powers to protect life right from the get go. I really liked that - it gave the Rangers more purpose and set up really neat potentials for any sequels and explained the background much better without having to backtrack to make it make sense (the word "Zeo" was used in the first 2 minutes of the movie, but it was never heard until season 4 of the original show).

I give it a B+, personally. I totally see why people had issues with it but I also think it added to the franchise as a whole, rather than take away from/ruin it.

Oh yeah I totally get there had to be changes. I really liked this version Zordon a lot better than the 95 movie. Alpha was pretty good, too. He could have looked a little more robot-ish rather than alien-y, but whatever.

I am pleased with Rita's change. A lot of people weren't, but it didn't bother me. I mean, it's hard to imagine the show's Rita being capable of coming across as a big, scary threat on the big screen.

It seems like after all these years, they went and really put the MMPR story time-line together and are doing it right this time so the time-line makes sense. I get really excited at the thought of a MMPR into Zeo movie. I vividly remember the show's transition from MMPR to Zeo and I LOVED Zeo. It very well may be my favorite season, bar the stupid shit like Tonya and Tommy only being able to sing and not talk or something like that.

There was supposed to be a Zeo battle in the Turbo movie, but apparently got cut either for length or they didn't do it because of budget issues. I remember being very disappointed back then that there was no Zeo in Turbo, and they never explained the transition from Zeo to Turbo.

Nonetheless, bring on the next movie!
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 09 Apr 2017, 07:29

Has there been any rumours of announcement of a follow up movie?
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 09 Apr 2017, 22:05

Articles have mentioned something about a 6 movies. Not sure how that's going to go given the mediocre reviews of this one.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 10 Apr 2017, 02:52

I am disappointed too

I like the changes in costumes and Rita but it was a bit over the top.

It was a mixture between "chronicle / camp show and teenage drama". Didn't get an actual vibe that came across nice.

Thee megazord was horrible! It was like a bad copy of Optimums Prime!

And Goldar looked so fake! Obviously I know it's CGI but there's something about his look that didn't do it for me
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 10 Apr 2017, 06:54

addicted2you wrote:Has there been any rumours of announcement of a follow up movie?

The director has said he wants to make 7 movies. I'm guessing they will cover:
- origin story.
- Tommy (or Tommie) introduction / evil green ranger story.
- Lord Zed intro / white ranger story.
- evil white ranger (like the comic)?
- a prequel of Zordon and Rita as rangers.
- Zeo / Scorpina arc?
- return of Rita? like the "Power/Rangers" short film.
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 11 Apr 2017, 05:05

so we would be waiting another couple of years until we see another movie ? That's good that the director wants to make that many movies
...FunkyFresh...
Custom Title: MB World

Postby ...FunkyFresh... » 13 Apr 2017, 17:43

overall i enjoyed this reboot.

i told myself that i HAD to walk into this movie with no preconceptions and as its own film. so that said, i loved the references to the original MMPR and thought the film was pretty clever. It had to bring the original audience but able to look modern which is hard. I hated the costumes when i first saw the preview pictures, but while watching the film they looked awesome. Kim is usually depicted as weak when it comes to her fighting/zord and im glad they gave her some strong moments with the Pterodactyl. Zack and Trini's introductions were very late into the movie which was pretty weird but i guess its hard to focus so many of them. The zords/megazord are very Tansformers-like so it is what it is to make it modern, but IMO the way it looks as the megazord makes it bit more sense with how they fit together. The old zords were very block-y so the old megazord looked a bit more human. Rita i hated seeing the first pictures of too but it makes so much sense so i do like it.

Spoiler: show
and of course i was teary eyed seeing Kim and Tommy in the end! :'( so happy with a lot of what they did.

Return to “Small Talk”