(SPOILES ALERT) RPDR S.8 - Who's watching?

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
UnusualChris

Re: (SPOILES ALERT) RPDR S.8 - Who's watching?

Postby UnusualChris » 10 Jun 2017, 22:50

They've completely changed the format of the grand finale. MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

Spoiler: show
The top four had to lip sync against each other to determine the Top 2. The top 2 were the only ones to have their crownings filmed. The details of the lip syncs and Top 2 are in the next spoiler.

They also only interviewed the Top 4 and didn't have the previous Queens on stage. The reunion is apparently being filmed separately in it's older format.

Peppermint vs Trinity / Britney - Stronger / Winner: Peppermint
Sasha vs Shea / Whitney - So Emotional - Winner: Sasha
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 11 Jun 2017, 08:56

UnusualChris wrote:They've completely changed the format of the grand finale. MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

The top four had to lip sync against each other to determine the Top 2. The top 2 were the only ones to have their crownings filmed. The details of the lip syncs and Top 2 are in the next spoiler.

They also only interviewed the Top 4 and didn't have the previous Queens on stage. The reunion is apparently being filmed separately in it's older format.

Peppermint vs Trinity / Britney - Stronger / Winner: Peppermint
Sasha vs Shea / Whitney - So Emotional - Winner: Sasha

I'm glad there was a twist.
andy_mss
Previous username(s): dirrtydevil2005
Dust_in_the_wind
Custom Title: glittertastic

Postby andy_mss » 11 Jun 2017, 10:31

I was gagged.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 11 Jun 2017, 11:23

I don't want to read the spoilers but I'm glad they changed the format of the grand finale- hopefully for the better. The previous two season's grand finales weren't all that. I prefer the format they had from S4-S6, there's not been enough time with the eliminated queens.
AcidBurn
Custom Title: Triple Goddess Three

Postby AcidBurn » 11 Jun 2017, 11:45

I've stopped watching the finale since I found out that they pre-recorded the "win" for each queen. It just isn't the same...
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 11 Jun 2017, 14:40

AcidBurn wrote:I've stopped watching the finale since I found out that they pre-recorded the "win" for each queen. It just isn't the same...

They always did that though, since S4. A change that was made after Perez Hilton decided to leak S3 winner before the finale was aired.

I think it's a good thing, that way no one can reveal a winner until it's actually aired. And all finalists are sitting together when the winner is announced, a scene that is usually uploaded to Facebook once it's announced. That way you still get to see the reaction of the winner.

What I find more annoying is the way the decide Miss Congeniality. Anyone can vote as many times as they want, and this season it's quite obvious who's going to win (I know no spoilers), even though her elimination was completely justified and nothing she did qualifies as miss Congeniality. Anyone who's won that since showstart has completely deserved to win- that is until now.
AcidBurn
Custom Title: Triple Goddess Three

Postby AcidBurn » 11 Jun 2017, 18:54

Andreas wrote:They always did that though, since S4. A change that was made after Perez Hilton decided to leak S3 winner before the finale was aired.

I think it's a good thing, that way no one can reveal a winner until it's actually aired. And all finalists are sitting together when the winner is announced, a scene that is usually uploaded to Facebook once it's announced. That way you still get to see the reaction of the winner.

Couldn't it just be a live show like other award shows, though?
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 11 Jun 2017, 19:37

AcidBurn wrote:
Andreas wrote:They always did that though, since S4. A change that was made after Perez Hilton decided to leak S3 winner before the finale was aired.

Couldn't it just be a live show like other award shows, though?

I wondered about that a couple seasons ago and read up about how the content of the show and it's rating make it impossible to license a live RPDR show with the FCC. They do swear a lot and there can be mature subject matter, so the FCC demands editting and review of the show before airing. It's a shame, but rules is rules I guess.
FabianC
Custom Title: Beautifully Intended

Postby FabianC » 13 Jun 2017, 15:20

Andreas wrote:
AcidBurn wrote:I've stopped watching the finale since I found out that they pre-recorded the "win" for each queen. It just isn't the same...

They always did that though, since S4. A change that was made after Perez Hilton decided to leak S3 winner before the finale was aired.

What I find more annoying is the way the decide Miss Congeniality. Anyone can vote as many times as they want, and this season it's quite obvious who's going to win (I know no spoilers), even though her elimination was completely justified and nothing she did qualifies as miss Congeniality. Anyone who's won that since showstart has completely deserved to win- that is until now.

I'll be so mad if the Maskgate wins Miss Congeniality.

My Melanie C & Spice Girls CD Collection - http://www.instagram.com/melaniecmusiccollection
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 14 Jun 2017, 01:46

^ I voted for her. Everyone wants Peppermint to get Miss Congeniality, but she's clearly going to win the crown.
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 15 Jun 2017, 02:42

BootyliciousJosh wrote:^ I voted for her. Everyone wants Peppermint to get Miss Congeniality, but she's clearly going to win the crown.

I wouldn't jump the gun on that one - she's got a shot, but I wouldn't count out Sasha or Shea just yet. Sasha has a lot of social media support.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 15 Jun 2017, 18:19

If rumours on the web are true, that Shea was eliminated when two and two girls lip-synced against each other, and therefore isn't among the two final contestants, Shea are more entitled to win Miss Congeniality than anyone. But people won't vote for her because they think she's going to win...

This new thing, that started with so much potential, has turned into a right mess! Especially as the public are still being told that all the 4 contestants have an equal chance to win, when in fact that is not true, as two was eliminated during the finale and only the remaining two can actually win because they were the ones that have been crowned!

Does anyone know if it's true there will be a finale episode this week and a reunion-episode next week, instead of a finale/reunion-combo as usual?
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 16 Jun 2017, 02:16

^Tomorrow is supposed to be a never-before scene clip show and reunion (like AS2 and the first couple seasons). Next Friday will be the winner announcement and maybe more reunion discussion in front of an audience?
andy_mss
Previous username(s): dirrtydevil2005
Dust_in_the_wind
Custom Title: glittertastic

Postby andy_mss » 16 Jun 2017, 05:23

BootyliciousJosh wrote:^Tomorrow is supposed to be a never-before scene clip show and reunion (like AS2 and the first couple seasons). Next Friday will be the winner announcement and maybe more reunion discussion in front of an audience?

I was at the finale. The only people interviewed were the top 4. And the elimination rumors are true.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 16 Jun 2017, 07:59

andy_mss wrote:I was at the finale. The only people interviewed were the top 4. And the elimination rumors are true.

Seems that the reunion was shot at the venue prior to the finale.

I find it borderline offensive that they are advertising all 4 contestants as equal when they know that only two are actually up for the crown. It's not right to do so to the viewers.

Makes me think that I won't watch the finale this year. Just the reunion show this week and leave it at that.

Such a shame because I was just telling my husband I think this has been my favourite season of Drag Race (for the longest time S5 was my fav, closely followed by S3), and then they mess it up in such an extreme way at the end. Literally WoW productions pulled a Valentina...
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 17 Jun 2017, 17:08

As obviously predicted, Valentina "won" Miss Congeniality. Worst Miss congeniality in Drag Race history, and I'm everyone, initiated by Aja, called it out.

Valentina is the winner of most obsessive fans. Miss Congeniality or Drag Race fan favourite? Nothing could be further from the truth. A sanctimonious, two-faced smile, no personality, just a shallow and lousy attitude. Condragulations, Valentina is the winner!

I've not been a big Aja fan, but she came through and said what everyone else was thinking!

There hasn't been a contestant with a worse attitude than Valentina on Drag Race since Tyra Sanchez.

Anyone could vote as many times as they wanted on whoever they wanted for Miss Congeniality. Clearly the Valentina-fans had nothing better to to do than press that vote-button.

A worthy winner of Miss Congeniality would've been Peppermint or Eureka (and I'm not even a big fan of Eureka!).
thespiceboy
Previous username(s): mikemgmve
Custom Title: aka MikeMGMVE

Postby thespiceboy » 17 Jun 2017, 19:11

Andreas wrote:Seems that the reunion was shot at the venue prior to the finale.

I find it borderline offensive that they are advertising all 4 contestants as equal when they know that only two are actually up for the crown. It's not right to do so to the viewers.

Makes me think that I won't watch the finale this year. Just the reunion show this week and leave it at that.

Such a shame because I was just telling my husband I think this has been my favourite season of Drag Race (for the longest time S5 was my fav, closely followed by S3), and then they mess it up in such an extreme way at the end. Literally WoW productions pulled a Valentina...

But you're watching it as a hardcore fan who goes online and reads all the spoilers about what happened at a taping. The majority of the viewing audience will not know what happened at the grand finale, and found out the twist when it was announced at the reunion.

Also LIVE live finale's are expensive to produce, and networks don't want to front that kind of cash for a cable reality competition show. That's broadcast network type money to do that kind of thing.
Innit sad that you can't just turn the computer off?
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 17 Jun 2017, 22:25

Andreas wrote:
As obviously predicted, Valentina "won" Miss Congeniality. Worst Miss congeniality in Drag Race history, and I'm everyone, initiated by Aja, called it out.

Valentina is the winner of most obsessive fans. Miss Congeniality or Drag Race fan favourite? Nothing could be further from the truth. A sanctimonious, two-faced smile, no personality, just a shallow and lousy attitude. Condragulations, Valentina is the winner!

I've not been a big Aja fan, but she came through and said what everyone else was thinking!

There hasn't been a contestant with a worse attitude than Valentina on Drag Race since Tyra Sanchez.

Anyone could vote as many times as they wanted on whoever they wanted for Miss Congeniality. Clearly the Valentina-fans had nothing better to to do than press that vote-button.

A worthy winner of Miss Congeniality would've been Peppermint or Eureka (and I'm not even a big fan of Eureka!).

I agree with majority of what you said (this is coming from someone who likes Valentina's drag and who voted for her). It clearly was a fan-favourite because I know the fans wanted her to win something. I honestly thought she could have taken the crown.

But being compared to Tyra Sanchez is a far stretch. Tyra was and is just an evil person. And I honestly feel like the other queens were threatened by Valentina because her drag is so polished for only doing it for what, a year or so now? Bitch is talented with that. But I do agree that Peppermint should have won in the end. Btw, is there a poll result posted anywhere?

The reunion clearly had me scalped. It was by far the cattiest one. It made me not like Trinity anymore. I love that she grew as a drag queen, but the way she acted was what my first impression of her was. Sasha was another one that rubbed me the wrong way.

As of now, I hope Peppermint wins. I wasn't really a fan of hers, but her attitude has remained the same from episode 1 til now.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 17 Jun 2017, 23:54

thespiceboy wrote:But you're watching it as a hardcore fan who goes online and reads all the spoilers about what happened at a taping. The majority of the viewing audience will not know what happened at the grand finale, and found out the twist when it was announced at the reunion.

Also LIVE live finale's are expensive to produce, and networks don't want to front that kind of cash for a cable reality competition show. That's broadcast network type money to do that kind of thing.

I can definitely understand that. And I do love the twist/develoupment of this season! I just think it's sad that the audience are given the impression they can all actually win when it's not that way....

I am extremely pleased with the "new" oldskool style reunion episode through! Without the audience the Queens won't feel the need to edit themselves as much as if the audience was there, and they would have to put on a certain face just for the sake of it.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 18 Jun 2017, 00:08

BootyliciousJosh wrote:I agree with majority of what you said (this is coming from someone who likes Valentina's drag and who voted for her). It clearly was a fan-favourite because I know the fans wanted her to win something. I honestly thought she could have taken the crown.

But being compared to Tyra Sanchez is a far stretch. Tyra was and is just an evil person. And I honestly feel like the other queens were threatened by Valentina because her drag is so polished for only doing it for what, a year or so now? Bitch is talented with that. But I do agree that Peppermint should have won in the end. Btw, is there a poll result posted anywhere?

The reunion clearly had me scalped. It was by far the cattiest one. It made me not like Trinity anymore. I love that she grew as a drag queen, but the way she acted was what my first impression of her was. Sasha was another one that rubbed me the wrong way.

As of now, I hope Peppermint wins. I wasn't really a fan of hers, but her attitude has remained the same from episode 1 til now.

Don't get me wrong, I think her drag and aesthetic is fierce! But her whole attitude needs to change. Hopefully she will be able to take this experience and grow from it. Cause she clearly as some aging/maturing to do.

In reference to something Ru said, I do think the voting was rigged, or more hijacked - by her fanbase. Which, after discussing it with my husband- who is a Valentina fan and also Latino- is understandable. According to him the Latin community have been eagerly awaiting a Latin Queen to win. Valentina is huge among his friends in Argentina and Spain. I assume in Mexico and the Latin-community in the US as well.

But for me, the #justice4valentina went a little far. There was nothing to put right as Valentina was the only to blame for her demise. If she had been the all-loving person that she claims to be, she would have addressed the attacks on her fellow Queens. As she rightfully should. Even though she didn't cause it, she is the reason behind it. She could've easily encouraged peace and love without alienating her loyal fanbase. That way she would be easier to stomach for someone like me, who love her drag but is put off by her general attitude. Just look at her snappish remark to Farrah- who's feelings were completely justified if you ask me.

I agree with the confrontational attitude that Shea and Trinity had was kind of off-putting. Though I do think Trinity was the worst of the two. I didn't see Sasha as confrontational at all. She put her finger on some of the bullshit that had happened, but she wasn't aggressive or confrontational about it.

Peppermint was a joy to see! She's like come full circle, and have blossomed into this beautiful flower, finally not scared to be who she is. I was a big fan from the start, she gave such good vibes. Then she stumbled but managed to get back up and is truly deserving to be in the top.

I still think Shea has slayed the competition and is entitled the crown, but I'll be happy with either her, Peppermint or Sasha tbh.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 18 Jun 2017, 00:09

Omg I'm talking too much, someone shut me up :x
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 18 Jun 2017, 04:26

Trinity, Shea and Sasha all had smug looks on their faces the entire time. It was such a "high-horse/I'm in the top 4/my shit don't stink" vibe. That's rubbed me the wrong way. Shea definitely saved all her bitterness for the reunion - part of me is still rooting for her to win because she did slay the entire season.

I read this was recorded after the crowning? Maybe that's why the top 4 were kinda pissy?
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 18 Jun 2017, 04:56

BootyliciousJosh wrote:Trinity, Shea and Sasha all had smug looks on their faces the entire time. It was such a "high-horse/I'm in the top 4/my shit don't stink" vibe. That's rubbed me the wrong way. Shea definitely saved all her bitterness for the reunion - part of me is still rooting for her to win because she did slay the entire season.

I read this was recorded after the crowning? Maybe that's why the top 4 were kinda pissy?

Totally. It was a very strange episode. There was a chill in the air for sure. I wasn't a fan of Sasha or Shea last night, either.

I also didn't like the little Aja meltdown re: miss congeniality. Fans voted, Valentina was well liked, call it what you want but Valentina's moment was totally taken away from her. It's as if Aja was sure it was gonna be her, and when it was someone else she threw a meltdown.

Farrah though- she looked amazing! My fave look of the night.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 18 Jun 2017, 09:40

JimmyLo wrote:
BootyliciousJosh wrote:Trinity, Shea and Sasha all had smug looks on their faces the entire time. It was such a "high-horse/I'm in the top 4/my shit don't stink" vibe. That's rubbed me the wrong way. Shea definitely saved all her bitterness for the reunion - part of me is still rooting for her to win because she did slay the entire season.

Totally. It was a very strange episode. There was a chill in the air for sure. I wasn't a fan of Sasha or Shea last night, either.

I also didn't like the little Aja meltdown re: miss congeniality. Fans voted, Valentina was well liked, call it what you want but Valentina's moment was totally taken away from her. It's as if Aja was sure it was gonna be her, and when it was someone else she threw a meltdown.

Valentina was not interrupted by Aja during the actual reunion, it was edited to make it look as though she was. Valentina was allowed to say her acceptance speech and have her moment before anyone commented on anything. I'm glad Aja did, someone had to.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 19 Jun 2017, 03:14

Andreas wrote:
JimmyLo wrote:

Valentina was not interrupted by Aja during the actual reunion, it was edited to make it look as though she was. Valentina was allowed to say her acceptance speech and have her moment before anyone commented on anything. I'm glad Aja did, someone had to.

I wasn't a fan of Aja moaning about Valentina, but she was giving me life!

And yes, Farrah had the best look! I couldn't believe how gorgeous she looked.

Return to “Small Talk”