Reminder about rules on the forums

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
breezyspice
Mod
Custom Title: Breezy

Reminder about rules on the forums

Postby breezyspice » 12 May 2017, 21:25

Hello everyone!

I know that the mod team has mostly been MIA for some months, I being one of them. Please know that there are conversations happening between mods discussing the future and present of DenDen.

In regards to the spam, we (the mods) can see nearly 30,000 posts awaiting approval that we can only MANUALLY remove, which as you can imagine - will take a while. Sometimes by the time we're done removing posts and bans, more have already popped up in their place. We're working on it, please be patient.

My main need for this post is heavily due to the outstanding reports in the queue. I came on to try to take care of some of these and have noticed a reoccurring theme that is prevalent likely due to our absence, so with this message comes an apology.

Swearing, name-calling and personal attacks towards other members are NOT ALLOWED. There is a difference between having different opinions and articulating them well enough that you can say what you want to say without bringing someone else down in the process. You don't need to tell someone that they're an asshole, stupid, deserving of abuse, that they should die, that you want to inflict harm, etc. (It's troubling how long I could go on with examples...) If you can't have a mature conversation and communicate your thoughts and opinions without being a jerk yourself, then you shouldn't be posting anything at all.

I can see that it would be frustrating that you feel unheard when you feel slighted or personally attacked and nothing is done about it and I understand that sometimes history makes a point of repeating itself and that some users have a past that may infiltrate its way into new conversations, but we'd really appreciate a fresh start as we try to either clean-up the forums that we have in their current state, or ready them for a new batch of mods.

I have already PM'd a lot of you today, either as verbal warnings or explanations on why reports are being closed. Herein lies the apology: that with our absence, a lot of these reports have become outdated and either rectified on their own over time or left in the lurch. While we do take them seriously and want to be proactive, we're hoping that we can all remind ourselves of the rules of the forums and what brought us all here in the first place; a mutual love for the Spice Girls. :kiss:
Paul
Custom Title: Say No To The World

Re: Reminder about rules on the forums

Postby Paul » 12 May 2017, 23:40

A really welcome post; thanks for the hard work & hopefully DD can have a reinvention thus year as this can be a great community forum.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 13 May 2017, 08:25

When are you going to choose new moderators or admins, may I ask? It's not like you have to pay them, but if you want to make this place more peaceful, it's a way to go, in my opinion. If they don't fulfill your expectations, then you can always resign them.
AcidBurn
Custom Title: Triple Goddess Three

Postby AcidBurn » 14 May 2017, 00:02

These rules have been mentioned over and over again to no avail. The only effective way to get rid of the nonsense is to be a lot stricter and actually ban people who refuse to listen.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 14 May 2017, 12:52

AcidBurn wrote:These rules have been mentioned over and over again to no avail. The only effective way to get rid of the nonsense is to be a lot stricter and actually ban people who refuse to listen.

Yes, agreed. Good forum members keep pointing it out but since there's nothing they can do they just get ignored by the ones who think they're above all rules.
James
Custom Title: Legacy member

Postby James » 15 May 2017, 01:14

AcidBurn wrote:These rules have been mentioned over and over again to no avail. The only effective way to get rid of the nonsense is to be a lot stricter and actually ban people who refuse to listen.

I agree.

The cynic in me thinks it's a bit rich to disappear for months/years and then come back all guns blazing, reading the riot act. That said, I do welcome the effort and hope that this is the start of a more moderated DenDen. People don't need reminders - signature removals, warnings and bans need to make a comeback.
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 15 May 2017, 21:55

James wrote:...People don't need reminders - signature removals, warnings and bans need to make a comeback.

That's exactly what I think too. With the mods not as present, there's no formal warning (the kind that bans you after 3). I've seen people being told to stop beeing rude (in the likes of "I hope you die") onlyy to see it again.

I hope from the modmins discusion will rise a solution that this place re-becomes a more pleasent one.
Spice & Solo stuff for sale here
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 May 2017, 22:19

Just close DenDen down, it's shit.
Andres
Custom Title: HeadBitchInCharge

Postby Andres » 16 May 2017, 01:24

RULES ARE FOR FOOLS AND FOOL'S PARADISE IS HARD TO FIND :music:

(sorry, I had to)
Andres
Custom Title: HeadBitchInCharge

Postby Andres » 16 May 2017, 01:25

Jamie wrote:Just close DenDen down, it's shit.

TeddyBear
Custom Title: hit the lights

Postby TeddyBear » 17 May 2017, 08:18

someone's forcing you to be here? if not you can always leave, you know...
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 17 May 2017, 10:30

TeddyBear wrote:

someone's forcing you to be here? if not you can always leave, you know...

He has "left" several times. :laugh:
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 17 May 2017, 14:29

and came back everytime.

I think most people enjoy a little drama (myself included) but when it comes to some level.... NOPE
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 17 May 2017, 17:59

FiaSpice wrote:and came back everytime.

I think most people enjoy a little drama (myself included) but when it comes to some level.... NOPE

I've been there - you want to stay involved bUT you can't stand the way some of the comments on here make you feel. Definitely have been there - publicly, privately. So I get why people leave and then come back.

However, there has to come a point where you see that being dramatic in your response to people just creates more drama. Eventually you have to come back (or leave) for the last time and just roll with the punches and not let things bug you.

People have a lot of balls behind a keyboard.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 17 May 2017, 19:10

^What I don't get, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular but more as a general thing, are the "I can't stand this place anymore, I'm gonna leave now, this is my goodbye"-threads... Why? Why if you need to leave so badly do you need to create such a scene and attract so much attention to yourself?

The only reason to create those kind of threads is to read how much people love you and tell you they want you to stay. Have some dignity, don't stir up drama just because you're not getting your attention-quota filled. It's not very charming nor likeable. Don't like this place? Then leave out the back-door. Quietly.
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 17 May 2017, 20:04

Andreas wrote:^What I don't get, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular but more as a general thing, are the "I can't stand this place anymore, I'm gonna leave now, this is my goodbye"-threads... Why? Why if you need to leave so badly do you need to create such a scene and attract so much attention to yourself?

The only reason to create those kind of threads is to read how much people love you and tell you they want you to stay. Have some dignity, don't stir up drama just because you're not getting your attention-quota filled. It's not very charming nor likeable. Don't like this place? Then leave out the back-door. Quietly.

I agree.
I remember there was a time you'd see the small talk with threads "I'm leaving this place". I understand some want to leave, but making it a big fuss about it, I don't.
breezyspice
Mod

Postby breezyspice » 17 May 2017, 23:14

Stas wrote:When are you going to choose new moderators or admins, may I ask? It's not like you have to pay them, but if you want to make this place more peaceful, it's a way to go, in my opinion. If they don't fulfill your expectations, then you can always resign them.

I can't give an exact date, just that we're discussing it based on the feedback that was received in the new mod thread and the nominations made. My hopes are that we can make a decision relatively soon though. Our first order of business is trying to figure out how to stop the spam and clean up what's here (that only mods can see right now). Issue is the server, I can't purge because the site times out when I try, but we'd like to have the mess cleaned up before ushering in new folks who will see the 30,000+ posts.

James wrote:

I agree.

The cynic in me thinks it's a bit rich to disappear for months/years and then come back all guns blazing, reading the riot act. That said, I do welcome the effort and hope that this is the start of a more moderated DenDen. People don't need reminders - signature removals, warnings and bans need to make a comeback.

I know it's a lot of repeat talk and I'm hoping it's not just talk. I get that I could come across as reading a riot act out of nowhere but after going through 4 pages worth of reports and PM'ing over 20 people, I felt like it was worth making a general announcement again. Warnings were made, notes were put on accounts - my issue was that due to the absence of mods, some months had gone by since original reports were made. Some reporters didn't even remember what they reported when I messaged them to get some more information. Some ended up turning around and doing the same thing they were accusing someone else of doing - and that was in part why I apologized initially.

After this message, we'll (I'll) try to be more proactive in terms of signatures, warnings, bans, etc as needed.

Thanks everyone, for your feedback, I appreciate it!
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 18 May 2017, 15:19

breezyspice wrote: Our first order of business is trying to figure out how to stop the spam and clean up what's here (that only mods can see right now). Issue is the server, I can't purge because the site times out when I try, but we'd like to have the mess cleaned up before ushering in new folks who will see the 30,000+ posts.

That's why I get the "timed out" message! Thanks for explaining.
TeddyBear
Custom Title: hit the lights

Postby TeddyBear » 19 May 2017, 15:58

Can't you asign temporary mods just for now? These people can remove oversize signatures and help clean up the 30.000+ spams but can't give warnings/bans etc. Just to help till the new mod team starts?
breezyspice
Mod

Postby breezyspice » 21 May 2017, 21:28

^ I haven't been able to get the signature checker to work (could be due to the server issue), so as far as I know, every profile would have to be manually checked to see if the signature is oversized.
The best I can think of at the moment is to either start a thread in the Support/Suggestions forum so that people can point out when they've caught an oversized signature or have people report the account so that I can see them that way and remove them.

The issue with the spam is that they're appearing every 24 hours to the extent that it's impossible to keep up with them. I removed pages worth from Small Talk when I created this particular thread and when I logged in the next day to view responses, it was already 4 pages deep due to new spam posts. I'm trying to look into what we can do about this from a technical standpoint but I'm waiting to hear back. At this point, I'd be in favor of deactivating any new member sign-ups just to nip the spam in the bud for the time being.
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 22 May 2017, 01:50

breezyspice wrote:^ I haven't been able to get the signature checker to work (could be due to the server issue), so as far as I know, every profile would have to be manually checked to see if the signature is oversized.
The best I can think of at the moment is to either start a thread in the Support/Suggestions forum so that people can point out when they've caught an oversized signature or have people report the account so that I can see them that way and remove them.

The issue with the spam is that they're appearing every 24 hours to the extent that it's impossible to keep up with them. I removed pages worth from Small Talk when I created this particular thread and when I logged in the next day to view responses, it was already 4 pages deep due to new spam posts. I'm trying to look into what we can do about this from a technical standpoint but I'm waiting to hear back. At this point, I'd be in favor of deactivating any new member sign-ups just to nip the spam in the bud for the time being.

I think this should be done, just the time to get the back log of spam post deleted

Return to “Small Talk”