Eurovision Song Contest 2009 Thread

Temporary forum to discuss this year's Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow in great detail ;)
Kawai
Custom Title: Girls Aloud Lover

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 Thread

Postby Kawai » 17 May 2009, 01:07

I quite liked Spain's outfit, Javi!
Robert Pattison
Custom Title: He ate my heart.

Postby Robert Pattison » 17 May 2009, 10:59

Kawai wrote:Well done Norway. Didn't want you to win though :p

France is REALLY devastated, they thought they had a chance to win by sending an international star. Haha.

International superstar? Who the hell is this grandma?
wildhope
Previous username(s): crashworld

Postby wildhope » 17 May 2009, 11:13

I'm so slow in catching the fever. Hahaha. I realize I really like the Iceland's (her voice is amazing) and Germany's (It's a very catchy song. Reminded me Michael Buble's songs) entries. Denmark's one is not bad. The winner's entry is OK, but the beats to the song is really unique. Didn't expect it will go on and win the competition.
Vitalina
Custom Title: Yes I CAN

Postby Vitalina » 17 May 2009, 11:16

LOL, I was sure finals are today :D and was wondering yesterday at night, why on earth all drunkards of the neighbourhood are screaming 'i am in love with a fairytale'... well, now i know :D
congrats to Norway!
Anastasia

Postby Anastasia » 17 May 2009, 12:03

The show was great! And there were lots of decent songs there.

Well done to Norway. Though I guess it must have been weird for Norwegians when the winner from their country came up on stage and started speaking Russian instead of English or Norwegian... :D Our (or almost our) people are, like, everywhere..

Iceland was OK. Nothing special for me - nice girl, nice song, nice dress.. But nothing more.
I already don't remember the song from Azerbaijan but glad they did well (no, no we don't vote for neighbours, we really don't! :$ )
Turkish song annoyed me - can't understand why it got so many points.
UK was OK. Decent song, slightly boring boring, but the singer performed it very well.

I wasn't a fan of our entry but it wasn't as bad as I had expected. The performance was good - I liked this thing with her aging. Spooky.
Germany didn't use Dita Von Teese they way they should have - biggest disappointment for me. :D But I don't remember their song at all - I was just trying to figure out where Dita was. :D
Finland and Spain were poor, no wonder they didn't do well.
I forgot the Lithuanian song as soon as it finished too.
Patricia Kaas could have picked a better song IMO.
Sweden was very, very memorable.
Greece was horrendous - the guy reminded me of Dima Bilan, just 10 years older :D Pure copy.
B&H was a joke but NOTHING compared to the guy who announced results from their country - I laughed my arse off!
I was surprised with the Ukrainian results - the girl did literally everything to make guys vote for her, I think she worked for it. :D One question - was she a stripper before becoming famous or something?..

But overall I have good memories of watching it.
Alastair
Custom Title: look over there

Postby Alastair » 17 May 2009, 13:52

WOW!
UK did well! :D
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 17 May 2009, 14:36

Well I've definitely missed the appeal with Norway's song, which kinda bothers me... hate it when something is unbelievably successful and I don't understand why :laugh:

It's #6 on the UK iTunes chart now :think:
Lennu

Postby Lennu » 17 May 2009, 14:47

Jay wrote:Well I've definitely missed the appeal with Norway's song, which kinda bothers me... hate it when something is unbelievably successful and I don't understand why :laugh:

It's #6 on the UK iTunes chart now :think:

Same, that happen many times to me :D

They brought judges this year trying to avoid voting to neighbours, but nothing changes :D
Adam
Mod

Postby Adam » 17 May 2009, 14:54

I don't think anyone is really complaing about voting this year - I think the voting this year was pretty much perfect, there'll always be neighbour voting, that's part of Eurovision and if it wasn't there, it'd be missed... But it was nowhere near as obvious as it has been in recent years.
Kawai
Custom Title: Girls Aloud Lover

Postby Kawai » 17 May 2009, 15:25

Adam wrote:I don't think anyone is really complaing about voting this year - I think the voting this year was pretty much perfect, there'll always be neighbour voting, that's part of Eurovision and if it wasn't there, it'd be missed... But it was nowhere near as obvious as it has been in recent years.

Maybe for the low points, Adam, but the important points (aka 8-12 points) didn't change at all. And seriously, I'd love to see some countries NOT giving the best points to their neighbours.
Summer
Custom Title: FagHag

Postby Summer » 17 May 2009, 15:37

Anastasia wrote:The show was great! And there were lots of decent songs there.

Well done to Norway. Though I guess it must have been weird for Norwegians when the winner from their country came up on stage and started speaking Russian instead of English or Norwegian... :D Our (or almost our) people are, like, everywhere...

Well he is born in Russia and the eurovision was in Russia, so It would be weird if he didnt say anything in russian on stage. Plus he spoke Norwegian aswell.
Tanya
Custom Title: ...Jensenated...

Postby Tanya » 17 May 2009, 15:46

Summer wrote:Well he is born in Russia and the eurovision was in Russia, so It would be weird if he didnt say anything in russian on stage. Plus he spoke Norwegian aswell.

Sorry, but he was born not in Russia, but in Belarus :p
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 17 May 2009, 16:34

Kawai wrote:I quite liked Spain's outfit, Javi!

She looked like a ball dancer... and the way she hide behind that orange courtain was so cheap! In the rehearsals she was hiding behind the 2 guys and you actually didn't notice where the hell was she, but with that orange courtain it looked obvious and really cheap.

Kawai wrote:
Adam wrote:I don't think anyone is really complaing about voting this year - I think the voting this year was pretty much perfect, there'll always be neighbour voting, that's part of Eurovision and if it wasn't there, it'd be missed... But it was nowhere near as obvious as it has been in recent years.

Maybe for the low points, Adam, but the important points (aka 8-12 points) didn't change at all. And seriously, I'd love to see some countries NOT giving the best points to their neighbours.

Well, to be honest, I don't think Iceland (2nd) and Norway (1st) have that many neighbours and they received a lot of high points. I think the 'neighbour' thing works well when most songs are average, but when you have good songs it doesn't work because people end up voting the one they like the most, instead the one from the neighbour country (that's why Norway won).
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Flutey
Mod
Custom Title: DDs Headnurse

Postby Flutey » 17 May 2009, 17:23

*plays the good songs on his iPod*

Estonia was GORGEOUS! And russia was a pleasant surprise. I was hoping Portugal could get a higher position, but reaching the finals and getting the 15th position, with a song entirely in Portuguese is a real achievement.

It was a great show! I don't see the big deal about norway's entry, althought the song is catchy... there were better songs, imo, but that doesn't matter. Congratulations Norway! Hoping for a great show next year!
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 17 May 2009, 17:25

First of all, I would like to say that Bilan is an embarrassment. He didn't even sing live. Loser.

Thank God they changed the hosts, those other 2 were awful.

Everything was quite well-organized, the scene looked great and the show was nice. I loved Ukraine, Estonia, Russia, Iceland and Sweden.

Lithuania had a nice song, but it reminds me a lot of Alicia Keys' 'Fallin''. Azerbaijan was awful, but Arash is quite popular in Europe, so no surprise there... Turkey was the worst, they have the same songs every year and they're always in top 5. Finland was ridiculous, because they were just standing. There was no show.

The rest was just meh.

By the way, that neighbour voting-thing doesn't seem to be effective anymore. Finland gave 0 points to Russia, at least that's what I heard cause I missed it?! And other countries also seemed to feel the same way about each other.
Stas

Postby Stas » 17 May 2009, 17:29

Anastasia wrote:One question - was she a stripper before becoming famous or something?..

Nope, she was in Via Gra...
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 17 May 2009, 17:57

Lol, Alexander is now #4 on UK iTunes. I don't think a winning song has done so well here for years.
Whitewashed
Custom Title: Nothing to see here

Postby Whitewashed » 17 May 2009, 18:07

Stas wrote: Turkey was the worst, they have the same songs every year and they're always in top 5.

Well, I think we can thank immigration for that. Turkey is a nation of over 70 million people and turks are everywhere in large numbers so it's no surprise Turkey does well every year. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Of course everyone wants to support their home act. I'm glad the jury voting was brought this year so that the points were spread more fairly.
wildhope
Previous username(s): crashworld

Postby wildhope » 17 May 2009, 18:17

I still remember Kalomira's catchy and cheeky song. Didn't that song did wonderfully in UK (although I know it's not the winning song)? Hahaha.
I really love Iceland's entry. I was mesmerised by the stage setting and her voice. It's very crystal clear. It's all so dreamy and she is such a pretty girl with such a good voice.

I was wondering if anyone knows I can *ahem- D.L.* the performances in HQ?
Stas

Postby Stas » 17 May 2009, 18:55

Yahoo[Bot] wrote:
Stas wrote: Turkey was the worst, they have the same songs every year and they're always in top 5.

Well, I think we can thank immigration for that. Turkey is a nation of over 70 million people and turks are everywhere in large numbers so it's no surprise Turkey does well every year. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Of course everyone wants to support their home act. I'm glad the jury voting was brought this year so that the points were spread more fairly.

I voted for Russia, Ukraine and Iceland. :P
-Claudia-

Postby -Claudia- » 17 May 2009, 19:42

My favourite was the thrusting Greek gymnast man, he put his all into it! :D

I don't get the fuss over the Norwegian song at all, and the guy isn't even that cute. Iceland's song was better imo, she was a good singer and it was a nice song. Oh well, glad the UK didn't come bottom this time anway :p Jade did a very good job.
Robert Pattison

Postby Robert Pattison » 17 May 2009, 19:58

OMG guys, ive just read that Dima Bilan is gay, and he posed naked for some magazines, on some pics you can even see his low-hangin balls :O
artziboi
Custom Title: Who owns the throne

Postby artziboi » 17 May 2009, 20:09

Melanies_Angle wrote:OMG guys, ive just read that Dima Bilan is gay, and he posed naked for some magazines, on some pics you can even see his low-hangin balls :O

Old news. This was brought up already when Dima compeated back in 2005 or 2006 for the first time.
Vitalina
Custom Title: Yes I CAN

Postby Vitalina » 17 May 2009, 22:01

I am already anticipating next year's competition :D I am deff going ))
Robert Pattison

Postby Robert Pattison » 17 May 2009, 22:39

artziboi wrote:
Melanies_Angle wrote:OMG guys, ive just read that Dima Bilan is gay, and he posed naked for some magazines, on some pics you can even see his low-hangin balls :O

Old news. This was brought up already when Dima compeated back in 2005 or 2006 for the first time.

Id vote for him last year ifd have known before

Return to “Eurovision 09”