Natalie Imbruglia

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
[ben]
Custom Title: dere n ara deg ata i

Re: Natalie Imbruglia

Postby [ben] » 11 Jul 2012, 21:40

Birmingham got cancelled. Dammit.

I saw her in 2005 and really enjoyed it.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 11 Jul 2012, 21:42

I saw her in Manchester around the time CDTD came out (: x
Veli
Custom Title: The Piccie King

Postby Veli » 11 Jul 2012, 21:57

Jay wrote:
Veli wrote:That's cause people go to find Natalie where the letter N is. And when they don't see it there they assume there's no topic about her. I know the way it's done now is more correct and how most forums do it but I'm pretty sure most people would prefer it to be the other way around. It's much easier I think :shrug:

I dunno, I've always seen the system used where the surname is what is important when sorting alphabetically, that's why I did it that way. :( Anyway, members using that topic definitely need to use "Ctrl + F" and then type the artist they're looking for, as that's a lot quicker than scrolling down the list!

It's OK, I know it's more accurate. So I'll just get used to it. It's no big deal. :hug:

My top 5:

1. Hide Behind The Sun (most depressing song ever, love it so much I could cry!)
2. Smoke
3. All The Roses
4. Talk In Tongues
5. Wishing I Was There
Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » 11 Jul 2012, 22:10

Top 5:
1. Want
2. Shiver
3. Smoke
4. Torn
5. That Day
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 12 Jul 2012, 01:12

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:
schizophonic_spice wrote:she chose the tour which later fell through.

did I hallucinate the date i went to then? Image x

Tbh d0LL i wudn,t b surpriz,d if ud dremt it LAMO Image

Was she any good? :D
[Fa]
Previous username(s): Fa86
Custom Title: STICA Topaz

Postby [Fa] » 12 Jul 2012, 01:18

Top Five:
1. Scars
2. Smoke
3. Glorious
4. Torn
5. Beauty On The Fire
Melbourne Clique
Custom Title: + ACE +

Postby Melbourne Clique » 12 Jul 2012, 05:02

1. Smoke
2. Beauty On The Fire
3. Sunlight (Did you ever taste clouds? :music:)
4. Torn
5. Big Mistake
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 12 Jul 2012, 22:22

Jay wrote:
Vomiting Porpoise wrote:
schizophonic_spice wrote:she chose the tour which later fell through.

did I hallucinate the date i went to then? Image x

Tbh d0LL i wudn,t b surpriz,d if ud dremt it LAMO Image

Was she any good? :D

she was fantastic I loved Starting Today it,s such a warming tune Image x
Rocky

Postby Rocky » 13 Jul 2012, 04:40

I wish there was a remix of Wild About It! I love that song so much!

I went through a huge Natalie phase about 3 years ago. I thought she was Epic! I sold all the Cds I have of her except the latest one.
lance
Custom Title: Patsy Fucking Stone

Postby lance » 13 Jul 2012, 05:07

WLI is one of the best albums of all time IMHO. Everything goes.... oh em gee. So lush.

...I even liked Glorious :(
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 12 Dec 2013, 00:37

So it's come to this...

A COVERS ALBUM

better than fuck all i suppose Image x
[ben]
Custom Title: dere n ara deg ata i

Postby [ben] » 12 Dec 2013, 00:49

Fuck :(
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 12 Dec 2013, 00:51

How awful just the kind of music project that interests me zilch.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 12 Dec 2013, 00:55

schizophonic_spice wrote:How awful just the kind of music project that interests me zilch.

schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 12 Dec 2013, 01:01

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:
schizophonic_spice wrote:How awful just the kind of music project that interests me zilch.

Wasn't too fussed on

&

either :z
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 12 Dec 2013, 01:03

I only listened to Kimberley,s once, the only track I like to revisit is the gangnam remix (: x
Sman
Custom Title: Pop doodler

Postby Sman » 12 Dec 2013, 01:21

God I am so excited for this! I'm a huge Natalie fan and really didn't think we would hear her on record again, so I don't even care that it's a covers album. Hopefully she will pick songs she loves and interpret them in her style.

In other Natalie news, she makes her stage debut next year in 'Things We Do For Love' at the Theatre Royal in Bath!
Veli
Custom Title: The Piccie King

Postby Veli » 12 Dec 2013, 14:50

Damn, I wish GH, Xmas albums and covers albums could be banned. Leave those to X Factor contestants that have good voices but have nothing to offer as artists. :hmm:

It's such a waste of talent when a talented songwriter does it :hmm:

I'm glad we'll get to hear some new music at least. Didn't think that'll ever happen.
Sman
Custom Title: Pop doodler

Postby Sman » 12 Dec 2013, 15:52

Oh I agree, I would obviously much rather have a new album if original material but this is a lovely surprise, especially after we had all thought Natalie had given up on music.

Now lets see if she can actually get this album out!
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 12 Dec 2013, 18:01

hi everyone

i've just gotten all nat's albums and i'm in love with "left of the middle" and really like "whit lilies island"... haven't listend the other 2 yet

but i wonder what happened with her... such a talented artist with a great voice

she seemed to have a career like melanie c: first album with lots of influences and a bit edgy with lots of success, second album more lovey-dovey with less success (well, that's as fas a comparissons go)
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 13 Dec 2013, 20:48

Natalie Imbruglia
@thehitlife did you take this from the top of a ladder?... No...I'm just that short! Vocal day in the studio
24 minutes ago
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 29 Mar 2014, 13:11

Everybody needs good Neighbours. For nearly 30 years the Melbourne soap has been sending forth its handsome storm troopers to conquer Planet Showbiz: Kylie Minogue, Guy Pearce and Jason Donovan among them.

One thing it has had trouble spawning, though, is a genuine stage actor. For all Ramsay Street’s Brit awards and box office successes, rears of the year and pecs of the decade, you’d get long odds on, for example, the surnames Ayckbourn and Imbruglia occupying the same sentence.

Or you would have. But Natalie Imbruglia, who in her teens did two years on Neighbours as a sort of tomboyish Kylie substitute before her single Torn turned her overnight into a huge pop star, is appearing at the Theatre Royal Bath in Alan Ayckbourn’s Things We Do For Love.

The last time she acted onstage was as Snow White in Canterbury at 17. She’s now 39, and here she is coming out of rehearsals in south London for a chat over lunch. 

She is an elfin presence, slight and slender and – bland statement-of-fact alert – exceptionally easy on the eye. The formerly bobbed hair hangs long and there are two wispy tattoos on her arms. But her face seems for the most part to consist of irises, huge blue lagoons which loom the far side of large maroon-rimmed specs. Although she visits her parents and three sisters in Australia twice a year, and did a stint of X Factor mentoring there, Imbruglia’s principal home is in Notting Hill, west London, and her accent has mellowed down the years.

She tells me that she auditioned for the Ayckbourn play on Skype from Los Angeles, where she’d been studying acting for two years after falling out of love with music-making.

“When they said they wanted me to do it I thought it would be a great reason to come home because I’m much happier at home.”

So, though not much of a theatregoer, she cut short her studies and she is heading for Bath to appear alongside actors whose surnames she hasn’t quite learnt. “It’s all very new. I feel very blessed to be working with such great talent. And I’m in good hands.”

Those hands belong to Laurence Boswell, whom theatre historians will know as the director who coaxed half a performance out of Madonna in Up for Grabs. In Things We Do For Love, Imbruglia plays sweet romantic Nikki, engaged to a dull stickler who betrays her for the terminal spinster who lives downstairs. To Imbruglia she’s “such an optimist and so open-hearted and really has a desire to find that love of her life. And she sees the good in people.”

Of course it’s all too easy to project but Imbruglia, who has been through several recording contracts and a divorce, may not find any of this a stretch. That aura of perky vulnerability was already there for Torn, whose catchy lyrics found her lying cold and naked on the floor. It turns out that her performance in the video wasn’t an act. She’d come to the UK on the back of her Neighbours fame to act, but couldn’t secure a work permit.

“Eventually I ran out of money. It was the first time in my life things hadn’t fallen in my lap. I didn't want to go home but I didn’t know how to fix the problem. I knew I could sing but I was worried if I failed at the music I would have blown two careers. But I was eating baked beans and rice and I was two grand in debt to my landlord.”

So when it came to filming, she didn’t have to pretend. “I think that who I am in that video is very raw and very scared. I hated my own body so I was like, 'Can I wear my own clothes?’ They thought I knew something that they didn’t but I didn’t, I didn’t want to wear anything tight. I remember thinking, all these people here think I know what I’m doing.”

The single, a rather turgid dirge as written and recorded by LA band Ednaswap but hugely energised in Imbruglia’s poppier version, caught a thermal.

“How do you cope with that overnight thing? It’s bizarre. The fact that I had done Neighbours and lost all of my money was a blessing because I was a little more grounded. And I knew it could come and go. I knew it was very unlikely that this would happen again.”

And over the years it sort of did go. It’s not as if Imbruglia was ejected from her career with quite the finality of her sassy action heroine accidentally ejected from Rowan Atkinson’s sports car at the end of Johnny English. Indeed Torn had massive fresh exposure when comic David Armand’s literal mime version went viral in 2005, and Imbruglia joined in the fun on The Secret Policeman’s Ball a year later. “I hadn’t seen the video until I was asked to do it. I watched it and thought, I really want to do this partly to poke fun at myself.”

But the law of diminishing returns which struck on the second and third albums continued until her fourth album in 2009 wasn’t released in the UK.

Nobody wants to go through that many different record companies. I’ve just signed another one in New York. It’s madness. Who’d do that? What a stupid idea.” She laughs. But as the next record will feature only covers, perhaps there’ll be another Torn on there.

As she wrote and recorded and performed her own songs, she does wonder if she simply wasn’t camp enough. “Other musicians have more of a caricature image. I was never an artist who wore outfits. Maybe that’s where I went wrong.” It’s why, even if this theatre thing works, she can’t quite see herself following the yellow brick road into musicals. She also concedes that she’s nothing like as hard-working as her chum Kylie.

“I’m not a careerist. I don’t think like that. I’m not trying to arrive anywhere. I’m already here. This is what I do. I’ve never been trying to have a number one single. That happened to me. I’m about happiness, enjoying my life. I’m the laziest artist I’ve ever known.

SOURCE

schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 29 Mar 2014, 13:27

About the lazy thing Natalie definetly messed up with that 4 year gap between the first and second albums.

She should have had another album out in the late 90s to capitalise on the success of Left of the Middle but she left it too long and her new fanbase weren't loyal.

This covers direction... Why Natalie why?
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 29 Mar 2014, 13:41

schizophonic_spice wrote:her new fanbase weren't loyal.

speak for yourslef dear Image x
kamel

Postby kamel » 28 Jul 2014, 15:15

Natalie Imbruglia shared a makeup free selfie onn Instagram

Return to “Music”