Lady Gaga

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
garbo89
Custom Title: Be nice. I am.

Re: Lady Gaga

Postby garbo89 » 16 Apr 2017, 20:47

This is a bop, although a bit of a step backwards artistically / musically. I don't see it standing the test of time, nor do I see myself listening to it for a long time, but it's a cute song. I still hope it's gonna be a hit for her.
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 16 Apr 2017, 21:07

Jay wrote:'John Wayne' did absolutely nothing following the music video, to the point it's simply referred to as being an "other charted song" on her wiki page lol, it's not even being claimed as a promotional single.

I'm pretty sure it was never intended as a single. She just felt like doing a video for it.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 16 Apr 2017, 21:59

SpiceWonderland wrote:
Jay wrote:'John Wayne' did absolutely nothing following the music video, to the point it's simply referred to as being an "other charted song" on her wiki page lol, it's not even being claimed as a promotional single.

I'm pretty sure it was never intended as a single. She just felt like doing a video for it.

Lol not this old line when something flops big time. If someone goes to the lengths of making a video for a song they intend it to be a single, as a video is promotion for a song.

People don't just throw music videos together, they take weeks of planning, directors, producers, actors, props, studio time or location time, hair, make up, costumes etc. Artists don't just make videos for the sake of it.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 16 Apr 2017, 22:24

I am curious about the story behind John Wayne.

She did a video for Beautiful, Dirty, Rich years ago...so...creating a video for a non-single isn't totally foreign to her.

But still. Was John Wayne meant to be something more and they totally abandoned hope for it...immediately? I remember the dive tour and Victoria's Secret performances...but that was months before the video. To my knowledge, she didn't ever perform John Wayne after the video dropped. I never heard a single radio play either...and it's not like the thing isn't commercial.

My guess is that when A Million Reasons started climbing after the Super Bowl performance, her team just shifted their focus to that and John Wayne got lost in the shuffle. A Million Reasons has now peaked and done well (in the US, anyway), and I guess it makes more sense for her to try something fresh as opposed to looping back around to some video that's been around for months. I guess?
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 16 Apr 2017, 23:06

'John Wayne' wasn't even sent to radio, so no, it's not a flop single, it's just not a single.

I watched her Choachella show and absolutely loved it, especially the setlist, so many songs I thought we would never hear live again! She was fantastic, as always.

So far I am not into 'The Cure'. Like someone else alredy said, it sounds too much like all the dull stuff that is huge lately, but it is catchy and she sounds heavenly on it. It's also doing great on iTunes at the moment which is great.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 17 Apr 2017, 00:31

The Cure is her best single since 'Do What U Want' imo <3

I'm sure if John Wayne had blown up on iTunes/Spotify then they'd have sent it to radio and been happy to refer to it as being a single, but in the end they focused on Million Reasons after it got a second wind at around the same time. It just seems a bit weird to me for a song with a video to only be regarded as "other charted song" like it was purely random. I feel like something that has a music video is... something more than that. Even though it's not a single proper, at the very least I'd have defined it as being a promotional single... because it stood alone and had a video to promote the album it was from. Oh well, it's just technicalities.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 17 Apr 2017, 01:46

Well that whole authentic music inspired by my dead aunt phase didn't last too long did it. I guess when an album has been out 7 months and is far from platinum in the US and barely gold in the UK with no top 10 hit off it and like 1 or 2 weeks top 10 in the US thanks to a price reduction and Superbowl it is time to release a facesless trend chasing song.

I don't think there has ever been an artist so absolutely desperate to sell as Gaga.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 17 Apr 2017, 11:23

sammy01 wrote:Well that whole authentic music inspired by my dead aunt phase didn't last too long did it. I guess when an album has been out 7 months and is far from platinum in the US and barely gold in the UK with no top 10 hit off it and like 1 or 2 weeks top 10 in the US thanks to a price reduction and Superbowl it is time to release a facesless trend chasing song.

I don't think there has ever been an artist so absolutely desperate to sell as Gaga.

Yet when Rihanna did it "that's what great about Rihanna she can release the out there stuff she wants, then throw out a commercial banger to appeal to the masses, her versaslity..." Go away pot the kettle doesn't want to see you.
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 17 Apr 2017, 11:29

Oh for goodness sake Sammy, if they wanted John Wayne to be a single, we would've caught wind of it being sent to radio stations or promos sent out. It's not the first time she's performed non-single songs on tv, either.

As for her selling out with a commercial song, it makes sense to tie in with the festival headlining. It's a shame, but while Joanne is a great album, artistically, there's no way those songs were going to chart. Considering this is Gaga's 4th (or 5th) album, I'm honestly not surprised that her or the label is getting nervous from the lack of sales or chart positions.

The new single is probably just a quick boost to be gained from the Coachella hype. I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is and we're already reading into it too much.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 17 Apr 2017, 12:54

spicefreak wrote:
sammy01 wrote:Well that whole authentic music inspired by my dead aunt phase didn't last too long did it. I guess when an album has been out 7 months and is far from platinum in the US and barely gold in the UK with no top 10 hit off it and like 1 or 2 weeks top 10 in the US thanks to a price reduction and Superbowl it is time to release a facesless trend chasing song.

Yet when Rihanna did it "that's what great about Rihanna she can release the out there stuff she wants, then throw out a commercial banger to appeal to the masses, her versaslity..." Go away pot the kettle doesn't want to see you.

Rihanna told Calvin she would only release TIWYCF after Anti and when she was ready, he had it on hold for ages. She also never performed it and pretty much gave no fucks about it, it could have easily been a #1 for her. It was also just a feature, it isn't Rihanna's single, it is not her vision of her music, just her lending her vocals to a song.

That is the difference, Rihanna couldn't give a shit about where it charts, it was a #1 easily with a performance here or there. She doesn't do constant price reductions to try and force a hit, heck she didn't even bother filming a video for Love on the brain.

Rihanna's not forcing the issue or her music, she's not dropping a single after a festival gig or having her single reduced after a superbowl performance. Heck she was asked to perform at the grammys and declined, guess who just had to perform there even though she wasn't nominated and meant she had to do a random collab with Metallica, yep you guessed it.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 17 Apr 2017, 13:08

It must be exhausting having to do all the fantasising and hating, sammy01.
Filip

Postby Filip » 17 Apr 2017, 13:48

Guess who disagrees with Sammy and enjoyed Gagachella this Saturday:

Also in attendance: Katy Perry and Lana Del Ray... :hug:
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 17 Apr 2017, 16:09

Are we getting a video for this or what ?
Filip

Postby Filip » 18 Apr 2017, 09:30

^ I wonder the same... If she didn't film the video yet, her schedule is packed with second weekend at Coachella, filming ASIB and tour rehearsals. The single cover looks like it could be a still from the video though, I hope we get something soon.
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 18 Apr 2017, 14:56

I really like that song. I really disliked the whole Jolene album so this song is promissing
Narrator
Custom Title: elephant in the room

Postby Narrator » 18 Apr 2017, 23:42

Filip wrote:Guess who disagrees with Sammy and enjoyed Gagachella this Saturday:

Also in attendance: Katy Perry and Lana Del Ray... :hug:

:laugh:

FiaSpice wrote:I really like that song. I really disliked the whole Jolene album so this song is promissing

DEAD!
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 19 Apr 2017, 02:07

^^^you can see my casual fan-ness. I was so sure it was Jolene not Joanne!
AmAdEus.lb

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 19 Apr 2017, 05:57

The new song is at 25 in the UK midweeks. Her career is pretty much dead outside America, isn't it!
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 19 Apr 2017, 18:13

Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 19 Apr 2017, 18:36

The song was released on Sunday; the chart week begins on Friday, therefore she was 2 days behind other songs. With it being a brand new release outside of "New Music Friday", it lacked the first day exposure on that Spotify playlist. Songs tend to take a while to build up on Spotify.

So considering this, it starting out being midweek #25 in the UK isn't unexpected or an indication that she's over, it's actually a promising start! Also she's still #1 on UK iTunes, some had predicted she'd be in free fall by now.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 19 Apr 2017, 19:12

She is #86 on uk spotify and actually fell 2 places from yesterday. You all know the itunes chart means nothing these days.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 19 Apr 2017, 21:38

'The Cure' is performing well on Spotify so far though, particularly for a song which isn't on the Hot Hits UK playlist (yet), and like I mentioned, didn't get an initial boost from being included on the New Music Friday playlist. It's only been out since Sunday, it's far too soon to judge it for how its doing yet! Initial signs are positive though. There's a buzz around this song.

iTunes (and downloads in general) don't mean "nothing" yet. Obviously "sales" from streaming is swamping pure sales at this point, but still, 325,000 sales contribute towards the Top 40 songs this week, which still makes a significant enough difference in determining the order of songs in the official chart.

As for Gaga making it to #1 on iTunes, it's literally only just been knocked off in the past hour, Wednesday evening. A decent run at #1 for a new song that's yet to establish itself on radio, doesn't have a music video etc.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 20 Apr 2017, 09:53

You are basically describing what Steps did, congrats Gaga you are on Steps level these days! :death:
AmAdEus.lb

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 20 Apr 2017, 15:59

And what about the singles from Joanne? They had zero impact here in Australia or worldwide. Not heard her once on Australian radio in years.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 20 Apr 2017, 22:39

sammy01 wrote:You are basically describing what Steps did, congrats Gaga you are on Steps level these days! :death:

Steps were low Top 20 on iTunes by this stage, whereas Gaga is still within the Top 5, so that's not a valid comparison.

At the end of the day, the strength of Gaga's downloads is going to get 'The Cure' within the UK Top 40 in its first week, and that's a good start. The fact that it won't go straight into the Top 10... yes, that is because at this early stage it's not built up the level of streaming units that it requires to do that. However, earlier today it was added to the Hot Hits UK playlist, so its exposure to the largely passive listening that occurs from this curated playlist should in theory see its streams increase nicely now.

Its chart run on UK Spotify so far is 90-84-86-69 [65,024, 72,402, 78,743 and 91,034 plays respectively]. That's good going for a song that *repeats the same point again* didn't get an initial boost from "New Music Friday", and wasn't on the "Hot Hits UK" playlist during those days. Its rise to #69 today will have been helped along due to its recent inclusion in the "Today's Top Hits" playlist. So that demonstrates that the more exposure it receives via official & popular curated playlists = the stronger its performance on Spotify will be.

So, to write off 'The Cure' so soon, & compare it directly to how Steps performed, is reaching. Let's return to this in a month or two from now and see how it performed overall. I'm not suggesting it's going to go on to be a huge #1 smash, but compared to how Gaga has performed recently with the Joanne singles, I think 'The Cure' will become a decent hit for her.

Sadly, Steps weren't added to any of these essential playlists, so it was always going to flounder after the initial premiere hype with fans downloading it.

I still don't believe that downloads are totally irrelevant nowadays despite the dominance of streaming. They still have their place in the market and help to shape the charts. They're not dead in the water yet, and getting to #1 on iTunes isn't an irrelevant achievement. Hanging around in the upper section of iTunes still has a level of importance in determining the order of the official chart, and the peaks that are achieved.

Return to “Music”