Who Do You Think You Are (Radio Version/Album Version) mixed by Mark "Spike" Stent UK Promo CD!

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
Silence is golden
Custom Title: AKA S.I.G

Who Do You Think You Are (Radio Version/Album Version) mixed by Mark "Spike" Stent UK Promo CD!

Postby Silence is golden » 08 May 2017, 17:58

Hey all,

A few months ago I got a copy of the Who Do You Think You Are UK promo CD that was sent out for promo in Japan. The only difference to the regular UK promo CD is that this 'export' version has a Japanese text info sticker on the front.

I have just noticed something with the track on it.

It is listed on the back as being Who Do You Think You Are (Radio Version) with a track length of 4:02 and is mixed by Mark 'Spike' Stent.

My initial though was that there must've been a mistake with the track list. Either the time had been mentioned incorrectly and should actually read as 3:44, or it is mistakenly titled as the Radio Version, but is in fact the album version, running at 4:01.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the Radio Version of Who Do You Think You Think you Are is more than just an edit of the album version. It has been mixed and tweaked slightly to sound 'lighter' and have less bass, there are also an effect on the very first "wooooo" vocal in the intro, which isn't as prominent on the album version.

So, Upon listening to the Version on the Who Do You Think You Are promo CD, it IS a full album version... BUT, it's a full album version of the Mark 'Spike' Stent mix!!! Meaning it's the same production as the Radio Version, but is full length. Which when you think about it, the Radio Version we all know and are familiar with should actually be titled as a Radio Edit!

I don't have a copy of the Mama 1 track promo CD, but it would be pretty cool to know if the same thing has happened.

EDIT: I've just had a look at the Mama 1 track promo on Discogs and it is listed as being a Radio Version, running at 3:40, mixed by mark 'Spike' Stent, so it looks like that one IS the regular Radio Version.

I love discovering this little things years later :D
WhatTheHell

Re: Who Do You Think You Are (Radio Version/Album Version) mixed by Mark "Spike" Stent UK Promo CD!

Postby WhatTheHell » 08 May 2017, 18:59

Great find. I'll listen to them later.

It seems that Mama edit is the same radio edit in the promo cd and the single.
Although in the Japanesse version of the single its lengh is 3.41 while in the promo and the UK single is 3.40. I will hear them later to compare.
PeruvianSpice

Re: Who Do You Think You Are (Radio Version/Album Version) mixed by Mark "Spike" Stent UK Promo CD!

Postby PeruvianSpice » 08 May 2017, 19:19

I actually thought the bass in the WDYTYA (Radio Version) was louder than on "album form"
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 09 May 2017, 16:41

Great observation. I always thought radio edits where just shorter than the original. The only one I noticed is back when I became a fan and bought Spiceworld, I noted SUYL sounded different. All our local radios would play the Morales Radio Mix. Back then I didn't knew what remixes wher. LOL
James
Custom Title: Legacy member

Postby James » 09 May 2017, 21:44

How on earth has it taken someone 20 years to work this one out?! Well spotted.
MAD

Postby MAD » 09 May 2017, 23:53

Back in the day the only difference I've noticed between album and radio version (apart from the lenght) was the echo at the very end of the song.
sluttyspice

Postby sluttyspice » 13 May 2017, 09:54

That is such a cool find!
this dress is dry clean only melanie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 May 2017, 19:14

Anyone up for sharing this version please?
July_is_here

Postby July_is_here » 15 May 2017, 21:09

So is this the same version used for the music video and TV performances?

Like, honestly, are those subtle differences the only ones that come from being handled by different production teams?

The album version was mixed by Absolute and the Radio Version was mixed by Spike stent right?
Silence is golden

Postby Silence is golden » 15 May 2017, 21:28

July_is_here wrote:So is this the same version used for the music video and TV performances?

Like, honestly, are those subtle differences the only ones that come from being handled by different production teams?

The album version was mixed by Absolute and the Radio Version was mixed by Spike stent right?

Yes... but it's the full length version, same length as the album version, instead of the shorter version which is used for the video/performances/single releases, not available anywhere else whatsoever.
Silence is golden

Postby Silence is golden » 19 May 2017, 17:01

ANOTHER recent discovery...

There is a 2 CD release called Ibiza Uncovered 2 that features an official edit of the Morales Club Mix of Who Do You Think You Are. The run time is 3:48 and the beginning is lovely... you can hear some Geri ad libs in the background on this mix that are much quieter on the full length Morales Mix. The end is just a boring fade unfortunately.

I bought the CD off eBay for £1.50 haha!

I hope we get to hear some more or the unheard/rare mixes at some point in the future.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 19 May 2017, 22:34

That edit has been around for years.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 20 May 2017, 01:22

Interesting discovery re: the extended radio version! Although admittedly I've never been able to truly hear the differences in production between the album version and radio version... :oops:

Re: The Morales mix edit, I've had that on my iTunes for a rather long time too, but my mp3 is only 128kbps. :'( I didn't actually know that compilation is where it came from though!
Silence is golden

Postby Silence is golden » 20 May 2017, 20:06

Jamie wrote:That edit has been around for years.

There is one on youtube... that is totally fan made. it's not the version from this cd.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 20 May 2017, 22:30

What I have (I can't speak for Jamie) isn't the version on YouTube! It's also 3:48 and has an instrumental fade. The "show me how good you are" lyric ends at 3:34, then there's that Melanie C sound effect that fades out to about 3:39, and then the instrumental plays out until fade. I can hear those Geri ad-libs at the beginning too!

I guess the mp3 must have done the rounds many years ago; I've had it on iTunes for as long as I can remember and I've been using it since 2004! (I can't know for sure when I downloaded it because I've moved across numerous laptops over the years and the the created dates of my music files keep changing with every move). The fact it's 128kbps definitely suggests it was ripped long before people started to consider that as being crap quality haha.
Silence is golden

Postby Silence is golden » 21 May 2017, 06:52

Jay wrote:What I have (I can't speak for Jamie) isn't the version on YouTube! It's also 3:48 and has an instrumental fade. The "show me how good you are" lyric ends at 3:34, then there's that Melanie C sound effect that fades out to about 3:39, and then the instrumental plays out until fade. I can hear those Geri ad-libs at the beginning too!

I guess the mp3 must have done the rounds many years ago; I've had it on iTunes for as long as I can remember and I've been using it since 2004! (I can't know for sure when I downloaded it because I've moved across numerous laptops over the years and the the created dates of my music files keep changing with every move). The fact it's 128kbps definitely suggests it was ripped long before people started to consider that as being crap quality haha.

Sound like the one i've got here :)
Most of the stuff i initially discovered on line used to be in 128. part of the fun for me is tracking down the best source possible.

Return to “Spice Girls”