SAY YOU'LL BE THERE ☆ Discussion Thread (2nd Single from 'Spice')

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.

Say You'll Be There:

I love it
83%
I like it
9%
I don't mind it (neither particularly like it or dislike it)
7%
I dislike it
2%
I hate it
No votes

Total votes: 117
Jay
Mod

SAY YOU'LL BE THERE ☆ Discussion Thread (2nd Single from 'Spice')

Postby Jay » 18 Oct 2015, 20:39

Wannabe | Say You'll Be There | 2 Become 1 | Mama | Who Do You Think You Are | Spice Up Your Life | Too Much | Stop | Viva Forever | Goodbye | Holler | Let Love Lead The Way | Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)

Here's the second thread in the series of threads I'll create for the singles. This time it is obviously the turn of 'Say You'll Be There'!

What do you think of 'Say You'll Be There' these days? Vote in the poll, and discuss!

Potential discussion points:

The song / the music video / any memorable performances / the artwork / the lyrics / its level of success / where & when you first heard the song, if you can remember... whatever comes to mind. Discuss all things 'Say You'll Be There'!
Jay
Mod

Re: Say You'll Be There

Postby Jay » 18 Oct 2015, 20:40

Here is its commentary that I wrote, taken from the 2014 Spice rate. It placed in 3rd position.

Only 11th in 2012, 'Say You'll Be There' performs a lot better this time around and ends in 3rd place!

This was the edgier follow up to 'Wannabe', with an infusion of r'n'b added to the pop proceedings. Many had written off the Spice Girls as being a potential one hit wonder after the massive success of their one of a kind debut single, but this song silenced the critics. It was undeniably cool and was inevitably strong enough to ensure success, and suggested that the girls had more to them than perhaps initially met the eye.

'Say You'll Be There' was particularly massive in their home country. It stormed to #1 with first week sales of 349,000 copies, which made it the second fastest selling song of 1996 up to that point, only trailing Babylon Zoo's 'Spaceman' which sold 418,000 copies. '2 Become 1' ended up achieving a higher weekly sale than both of these, with the aforementioned sales figure of 429,000 copies. 'Say You'll Be There' spent two weeks at #1, selling a further 163,000 copies - just over half a million copies in a fortnight! It went on to sell over 950,000 copies - frustratingly close to a million, but not close enough.

This was also a big hit in the US, where it set a record by entering straight into the Top 5 in the Billboard Hot 100, at #5 - then the highest entry by a British act in that chart. It went on to peak at #3.

The music video for 'Say You'll Be There' was regarded as one of the best of 1996, highlighted by it winning the 'Best British Video' award at the 1997 Brit Awards. The video was filmed in the Mojave Desert in California. The group play "female techno-warriors" going by the names of "Katrina Highkick" (Melanie C), "Trixie Firecracker" (Geri), "Kung Fu Candy" (Emma), "Midnight Miss Suki" (Victoria), and "Blazin' Bad Zula" (Mel B). The theme of the video is generally female empowerment, which went on to be encompassed by the popular phrase "girl power", frequently used by the Spice Girls themselves.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=220100#p4022796
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 18 Oct 2015, 20:46

Love it! The song is great. Victoria finally gets a line! The video is cool and fun, it was everything it needed to be.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 18 Oct 2015, 21:03

When it was released, I didn't really like it. But as years went by, it took over 'Wannabe' in my charts. Love the video and the song!
Mickey

Postby Mickey » 18 Oct 2015, 21:12

I love the music video, they took their spice personalities to a new level and the live version was even better, one of my fav is the VMA, the intro gets me chills :$

schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 18 Oct 2015, 21:22

Love everything about it.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 18 Oct 2015, 22:38

Perfect single in every way, great song, awesome video.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Drowned
Custom Title: Stupid cupid

Postby Drowned » 18 Oct 2015, 23:52

schizophonic_spice wrote:Love everything about it.

Same here without an exception; the single cover. I don't understand how they decided to use a photo taken from the Spice album when they had lots of unseen pics to choose.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 19 Oct 2015, 02:03

TRUE TUNE!
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 19 Oct 2015, 03:53

I love it. It's such a great follow up to Wannabe. I still hope to hear the mix with Mel B's rap one day...
MarcelWithLuv
Custom Title: Marcel With Luv

Postby MarcelWithLuv » 19 Oct 2015, 04:38

say you'll be there its such a good jam
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 19 Oct 2015, 05:25

BootyliciousJosh wrote:I love it. It's such a great follow up to Wannabe. I still hope to hear the mix with Mel B's rap one day...

Huh?! :Dizzy:
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 19 Oct 2015, 05:40

I remember watching the video on some TV channel and was amazed by it. Obviously, I had listened to the song on the album and knew it by heart so it was all good when I heard it.

Not that I was a massive fan yet but still, I really liked the video. The vibe, the look of each of them... They all looked spectacular and the video was done so well. Luckily, it was a strong follow up to "Wannabe" so they were more than just "1 hit wonder"...

I do enjoy the artwork. As I said on the "Wannabe" topic, I think all of their artworks are classy and simple.

The b-side is one of their best... it does sound a like a proper crafted sound that could've ended up on the album.

I think, performance-wise, it wasn't that spectacular on the Spiceworld Tour: Going from "I'll give you everything on this I swer..." to 2 chorus without Melanie C's ad-libs was a mistake cause you kinda take the climax off of the song... The Return did it justice (although, a pity Melanie C couldn't hit those high notes in the end)

I don't think Geri is Mariah Carey singing-wise but when she left and Melanie C replaced her, it really felt wrong. Nothing could top her own way of singing it. In fact, I don't think any girl could replace the other's girls vocals...

I'm glad it's one of their strongest tracks and the 3rd Best Selling single from them... if only people remembered it as much as fans do... and if only there was a way of pushing it selling past the million mark...

"I LOVE IT"... although I think I love all the Spice singles (well, maybe "I like" "Headlines")
Silence is golden
Custom Title: AKA S.I.G

Postby Silence is golden » 19 Oct 2015, 12:49

Drowned wrote:
schizophonic_spice wrote:Love everything about it.

Same here without an exception; the single cover. I don't understand how they decided to use a photo taken from the Spice album when they had lots of unseen pics to choose.

At the point Say You'll Be There was having its artwork created, it wasn't decided what the album artwork would be yet.

In Japan the Single was released a month earlier than the UK, the same with the album too. The Japanese got a different album artwork than everywhere else ended up getting world wide because it was released there much earlier.
Silence is golden
Custom Title: AKA S.I.G

Postby Silence is golden » 19 Oct 2015, 12:51

This was the first Spice Girls release I ever bought. I bought it on it's day of release here in the UK. I got the day off school by pretending to have stomach ache, knowing full well that my mum needed to go and do the weekly shop in the city centre, and also knowing that she wouldn't leave me home alone, so I went long and persuaded her to buy me the cassette single (didn't have a CD player at the time). Good memories haha.
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 19 Oct 2015, 14:49

It's perfect!
I love it
Fenrik
Custom Title: OSLOVE

Postby Fenrik » 19 Oct 2015, 20:06

It`s all kinds of perfect!

Both song and video! :love:
Daniel Liam Glyn

Postby Daniel Liam Glyn » 19 Oct 2015, 21:12

I was obsessed with this song when it was released, then as the Spice campaign continued and it led into Spiceworld I started listening less, focussing more on WDYTYA, SUYL, Viva Forever and NGUOTGT etc. It was only around the reunion when I rekindled my love for the song (and the video) and again a couple of years back. It really was quite a 'cool' song, still pop with tinged with r&b and it was a perfect successor of Wannabe; proving they weren't a one hit wonder only capable of a 'novelty' track. If only it'd reach that million sales mark..

I loved the cover art and the video, I also remember learning the dance routine and feeling like a pro, haha. I was also happy to hear Victoria sing and loved Mel C's talent for the ad libs. I only had it on cassette and didn't buy the cd single a year later (back in the days when HMV would keep copies of all singles for years and years, I didn't get Too Much CD1 until 1999!) and had to buy the ltd edition cd2 online years after that.

We didn't have MTV available or any music channels when I was younger so I had to rely on any clips I could see of the video on interviews and I didn't really get to see it in full until An Hour of Girl Power, well worthy of the Brit Award! Oh, Take Me Home = favourite b-side!!
taicraven

Postby taicraven » 19 Oct 2015, 21:57

Stas wrote:
BootyliciousJosh wrote:I love it. It's such a great follow up to Wannabe. I still hope to hear the mix with Mel B's rap one day...

Huh?! :Dizzy:

There was an alternative part. Beginning at 0:42 in this video

Thread about it here:
http://forums.denden.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=145556

I would love to hear it properly one day Image
holler08
Custom Title: Holler holler

Postby holler08 » 19 Oct 2015, 22:11

oh my, these were the days

i remember being obsessed with wannabe at the time and was watching mtv all day to see the video again and again

i remember Davina saying "so we ve got something new for you now, let's see..." the intro for say you ll be there came in and i was disappointed thinking "no wannabe yet" and when the girls came out kicking i was screaming my head out!!

i found the video superb with great colours and the theme of course exciting and also the song was so unique especially for the harmonica, with all of them getting verses and melanie's ad-libs at the end made it sooo special (oh and also the rap bit before that)

totally in love with the song for a lot of time but i think the junior's remix lasted the test of time, i don't listen much to the song nowdays but definitely a classic!
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 20 Oct 2015, 03:24

This was the perfect follow up single it was a very strong pop song which showed they were capable of a lot more than people probably thought after hearing Wannabe. I absolutely love it, and the video is amazing. All 5 looked flawless in that
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 20 Oct 2015, 12:28

Say You'll Be There topped the UK charts 19 years ago today, selling over 350,000 copies! Just to let you know :) and 18 years ago this week back in 1997, SUYL was also the current #1
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
One&Only

Postby One&Only » 20 Oct 2015, 13:15

SYBT was the song that got me into the Spice Girls. I remember watching TV in my parents living room and the video came up.
I remember thinking to myself "What is this? Who are these girls?" :D
Just desserts
Trace Adam

Postby Trace Adam » 20 Oct 2015, 16:17

In 1997, my parents got me the first US "Now That's What I Call Music" CD, and it had SYBT on it. But I didn't want SYBT. I wanted Wannabe! I didn't get the full album until years later, so maybe that's why I'm not the biggest fan of SYBT. It's not a bad song though.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 20 Oct 2015, 16:56

I love it :love: The song is perfection :love: and the video is perfection :love:

Return to “Spice Girls”