SAY YOU'LL BE THERE ☆ Discussion Thread (2nd Single from 'Spice')

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.

Say You'll Be There:

I love it
83%
I like it
9%
I don't mind it (neither particularly like it or dislike it)
7%
I dislike it
2%
I hate it
No votes

Total votes: 117
onebigfan

Re: Say You'll Be There

Postby onebigfan » 20 Oct 2015, 18:13

To be honest, it has never been one of my favourite Spice Girls songs, in fact, I often found myself skipping it on the album. I do love the music video and somehow wish this music video was for a better song. Great music video, boring song and I still feel this way about it. For example, I loved the way they looked at the 1997 VMA's, but was terribly disappointed that they chose to perform Say You'll Be There instead of another hit, say Spice Up Your Life for instance. Oh well ...
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 20 Oct 2015, 23:17

I love it, of course.

I always thought it was really good, but in these last few years I am appreciating it more than ever. It sounds very cool and it is now my second favourite single by the girls after 'Viva Forever'.
The Spice Girls

Postby The Spice Girls » 21 Oct 2015, 02:52

After all those years I think it was their best single. It hasn't aged like Wannabe, it's not cheesy like WDYTYA?, so kitsch like SUYL or gay like Stop. The best single of their floor fillers with Holler coming as 2nd.
iaintiffin

Postby iaintiffin » 21 Oct 2015, 11:28

The song that had me stanning for the Spice Girls. Wasnt really a fan of Wannabe.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 21 Oct 2015, 11:31

The Spice Girls wrote:After all those years I think it was their best single. It hasn't aged like Wannabe, it's not cheesy like WDYTYA?, so kitsch like SUYL or gay like Stop. The best single of their floor fillers with Holler coming as 2nd.

WTF?! Why use the word gay in a derogative sense to describe a song? :Dizzy:
The word is 'gay' is synonymous of 'fun' and 'happy', you idiot. And if you think the use of the word in a derogative way is blaze or ok, or 'whatever', then you must check:

1) your privilege
2) your inner homophobia

And yes, those still count even if you are a homosexual man/woman, bisexual, transgender, questioning or any other motherfucking label that might be out there. I hate labels, but I don't go around using them in derogative ways. Check this speech by famous drag queen Panti Bliss on inner homophobia even in the LGBTQ community: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXayhUzWnl0

As if being a camp and motown song is bad. Stop is great, it might not be one their better singles, but it is fun, catchy as hell and actually a really good song.

Blondie

Postby Blondie » 21 Oct 2015, 23:20

This is one of my favorites. The alter egos they used is one of my favorite things about the video and I love the styling.
I enjoyed the whole concept and I love the behind the scenes shots from the one hour documentary.
Fenrik
Custom Title: OSLOVE

Postby Fenrik » 22 Oct 2015, 00:16

Mr.X wrote:
The Spice Girls wrote:After all those years I think it was their best single. It hasn't aged like Wannabe, it's not cheesy like WDYTYA?, so kitsch like SUYL or gay like Stop. The best single of their floor fillers with Holler coming as 2nd.

WTF?! Why use the word gay in a derogative sense to describe a song? :Dizzy:
The word is 'gay' is synonymous of 'fun' and 'happy', you idiot. And if you think the use of the word in a derogative way is blaze or ok, or 'whatever', then you must check:

1) your privilege
2) your inner homophobia

And yes, those still count even if you are a homosexual man/woman, bisexual, transgender, questioning or any other motherfucking label that might be out there. I hate labels, but I don't go around using them in derogative ways. Check this speech by famous drag queen Panti Bliss on inner homophobia even in the LGBTQ community: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXayhUzWnl0

LOL!
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 24 Oct 2015, 06:15

Daniel Liam Glyn wrote:I was obsessed with this song when it was released, then as the Spice campaign continued and it led into Spiceworld I started listening less, focussing more on WDYTYA, SUYL, Viva Forever and NGUOTGT etc. It was only around the reunion when I rekindled my love for the song (and the video) and again a couple of years back. It really was quite a 'cool' song, still pop with tinged with r&b and it was a perfect successor of Wannabe; proving they weren't a one hit wonder only capable of a 'novelty' track. If only it'd reach that million sales mark..

I loved the cover art and the video, I also remember learning the dance routine and feeling like a pro, haha. I was also happy to hear Victoria sing and loved Mel C's talent for the ad libs. I only had it on cassette and didn't buy the cd single a year later (back in the days when HMV would keep copies of all singles for years and years, I didn't get Too Much CD1 until 1999!) and had to buy the ltd edition cd2 online years after that.

We didn't have MTV available or any music channels when I was younger so I had to rely on any clips I could see of the video on interviews and I didn't really get to see it in full until An Hour of Girl Power, well worthy of the Brit Award! Oh, Take Me Home = favourite b-side!!

Oh yes, I remember the good old days when HMV had shelves and shelves of old CD singles, particularly in the Oxford Street store! :inlove: I didn't start collecting Spice Girls CD singles until 1998, and it wasn't too hard to find most of them at that point (although 2 Become 1 CD2 alluded me for a few years. ha).

Take Me Home is my favourite B Side too. I think it would have been worthy of inclusion on 'Spice'! I remember playing it over and over when I finally bought the single, and subsequently my mum telling me to put something else on because she thought it was depressive - tssk!
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 28 Oct 2015, 03:57

*Bumps so that Say You'll Be There can join the party at the top of the forum* :dee: :D

Daniel Liam Glyn

Postby Daniel Liam Glyn » 30 Oct 2015, 17:58

Jay wrote:
Daniel Liam Glyn wrote:I was obsessed with this song when it was released, then as the Spice campaign continued and it led into Spiceworld I started listening less, focussing more on WDYTYA, SUYL, Viva Forever and NGUOTGT etc. It was only around the reunion when I rekindled my love for the song (and the video) and again a couple of years back. It really was quite a 'cool' song, still pop with tinged with r&b and it was a perfect successor of Wannabe; proving they weren't a one hit wonder only capable of a 'novelty' track. If only it'd reach that million sales mark..

I loved the cover art and the video, I also remember learning the dance routine and feeling like a pro, haha. I was also happy to hear Victoria sing and loved Mel C's talent for the ad libs. I only had it on cassette and didn't buy the cd single a year later (back in the days when HMV would keep copies of all singles for years and years, I didn't get Too Much CD1 until 1999!) and had to buy the ltd edition cd2 online years after that.

We didn't have MTV available or any music channels when I was younger so I had to rely on any clips I could see of the video on interviews and I didn't really get to see it in full until An Hour of Girl Power, well worthy of the Brit Award! Oh, Take Me Home = favourite b-side!!

Oh yes, I remember the good old days when HMV had shelves and shelves of old CD singles, particularly in the Oxford Street store! :inlove: I didn't start collecting Spice Girls CD singles until 1998, and it wasn't too hard to find most of them at that point (although 2 Become 1 CD2 alluded me for a few years. ha).

Take Me Home is my favourite B Side too. I think it would have been worthy of inclusion on 'Spice'! I remember playing it over and over when I finally bought the single, and subsequently my mum telling me to put something else on because she thought it was depressive - tssk!

Haha I got the same earache after playing SUBT and TMH over and over! I brought the single with me on holiday to Spain around October 1996 and my family were forced to listen to it on repeat. I miss those days of endless shelves of singles. I remember the panic of the ltd edition CD2's and how every time i'd collect my cds on a Saturday I'd be in despair of whether they'd be sold out after a couple days on sale. I was lucky enough to get given 2B1 singles as a gift, but a special memory is grabbing the last Goodbye CD2 on the shelf like a maniac in a busy store on a late Saturday evening!
Jay
Mod

Re: Say You'll Be There ☆ 20th Anniversary

Postby Jay » 14 Oct 2016, 03:25

20 years since the release of 'Say You'll Be There' :love:

Let's celebrate :dee:

gingerboy

Postby gingerboy » 14 Oct 2016, 11:50

This song was the beginning of my Spicemania. On a local tv during afternoons they usually conected with MTV, and one day I saw the video and I was in shock!
aruspice

Postby aruspice » 14 Oct 2016, 17:35

Happy 20th anniversary :music: :inlove:
7eleven

Postby 7eleven » 14 Oct 2016, 17:58

I didn't like 'Say You'll Be There' very much back in the day, but over the years it has grown to become one of my absolute favorites. The video is iconic, and probably their best if you ask me. Such a cool track!
iaintiffin

Postby iaintiffin » 14 Oct 2016, 19:35

The song that sucked me into Spiceworld and I haven't looked back since!
Silence is golden
Custom Title: AKA S.I.G

Postby Silence is golden » 14 Oct 2016, 20:02

Happy 20th SYBT!

Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 14 Oct 2016, 20:49

Amazing collections, guys! :D
spice_of_life

Postby spice_of_life » 15 Oct 2016, 01:07

Mickey wrote:I love the music video, they took their spice personalities to a new level and the live version was even better, one of my fav is the VMA, the intro gets me chills :$

Didn't they have a make up drama? Something about having to DIY it? Also, weren't the black arm bands to commemorate Princess Dianna? Where was Geri's?
halloweenhead
Custom Title: SPICE FORCE FIVE

Postby halloweenhead » 15 Oct 2016, 09:31

It's my person favourite, and I think their best song.
1-2-3-4-5, SPICE-GIRLS!
addison

Postby addison » 17 Oct 2016, 13:12

Hey Spice Boys and Girls!

To commemorate the 20th Anniversary of Say You'll Be There, we've put together a bootleg remix of it, which we released on Friday.

You can check it out/download it here: https://soundcloud.com/dntpncmusic :music:

We are MASSIVE Spice fans and SYBT was the obvious choice for our first mix. As we're just starting out, please feel free to follow us across all the usual channels listed below and, if you like the mix (which we hope you do!) please go ahead and share it!

Hope you're all well and here's wishing a VERY happy birthday to one of my favourite and one of the most iconic Spice songs! (Here's also to whatever comes next too eh?!) :love:

Addison of DNTPNC! xo

Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/dntpncmusic
Twitter: @dntpncmusic
Insta: @dntpncmusic
Facebook: facebook.com/dntpnc
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 20 Oct 2016, 13:13

In the last 20 years, it's sold 961,000 copies, and around 40 people a week are still buying it

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... re__16652/
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 20 Oct 2016, 13:38

So, it might pass the million mark in approximately 19 years ( 40 x 52 weeks = 2080), 39000/2080 = 18,75 years.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 20 Oct 2016, 13:51

A pity they didn't give us a figure with streaming, but it's nice to know the pure sales anyway.

Lol at the current length of time it's likely to take for it to reach a million though. Potentially something nice to celebrate for the 40th anniversary. :p ( :x )
cripesdude

Postby cripesdude » 20 Oct 2016, 18:24

This was my first Spice Girls single... I missed out on Wannabe at first and got introduced to them when a friend played me "Bumper to Bumper"... from then they had my attention and I grabbed this on cassette when it came out... WH Smith for £1.29 (I think) ...twenty years ago! :Dizzy:

Still easily in my top ten Spice Girls songs I'd say... and the video really is great.
addison

Postby addison » 26 Oct 2016, 13:34

Hey Spice Boys and Girls!

To commemorate the 20th Anniversary of Say You'll Be There, we've put together a remix, which we released on Friday 14th Oct (exactly 20 years to the day that it was originally released in all it's AWESOME glory).

You can check it out/download it for free here: https://soundcloud.com/dntpncmusic :music:

We are MASSIVE Spice fans and SYBT was the obvious choice for our first mix. As we're just starting out, please feel free to follow us across all the usual channels listed below and, if you like the mix (which we hope you do!) please go ahead and share it! We'd love to hear what you make of the track. There'll be a radio edit coming soon too.

Hope you're all well and here's wishing a VERY happy birthday to one of my favourite and one of the most iconic Spice songs! (Here's also to whatever comes next too eh?!) :love:

Addison of DNTPNC! xo

Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/dntpncmusic
Twitter: @dntpncmusic
Insta: @dntpncmusic
Facebook: facebook.com/dntpnc

Return to “Spice Girls”