Version of Me Tour - UK / Ireland

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
sammy01

Re: Melanie C UK/Ireland Tour (April 2017)

Postby sammy01 » 12 Apr 2017, 01:43

Glindathegood wrote:
sammy01 wrote:The setlist seems like she has given up completely on any casual fans or anyone outside her absolute core fanbase was going to attend the tour. I guess it is nice for the fans to hear the album live but if it was your first Mel C gig or were dragged along by a friend I'm sure a couple of extra well known songs would have been a relief.

And what super well known songs would that be? Most of the singles from her older albums that she didn't do weren't really hits. She did the ones that were really big hits that casual fans would know.
Unless you want her to sing more Spice Girls songs. And then people would complain about her singing them without the other girls and turning down the reunion.
She's not like Madonna or Kylie who have a huge number of big radio hit singles that the general public knows.

Yeah no one knows WYG (her biggest selling single).
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
aw.s
Previous username(s): SoulNet

Postby aw.s » 12 Apr 2017, 03:19

I wasn't in London so I can really tell, but IMHO, I was on Birmingham on Sunday and the show was amazing, the songs worked really well with the audience (not only the typical fans). She was on top form, the sound was really good as well as the lights and the new band. She must have changed something or someone on her team, you can really tell this new show has been produced as a single piece that fits the album. Watching the London streaming now, and there seems to be some kind of sound problem, this doesn't do justice to the incredible live experience I lived las Sunday, I was so happy!
goin down

Postby goin down » 12 Apr 2017, 10:01

I have no problem with Melanie doing all of the new album. I guess I just missed some of the rockier stuff for a live gig . The atmosphere did not compare to the last two
gigs at Shepherd's Bush .

But I do have a message to casual fans but the album that the tour is named after , its that easy !!
'all i can tell you is to know who you are'
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 12 Apr 2017, 17:52

The weird thing about the UK/Ireland tour is that it wasn't actually marketed as being the "Version of Me Tour" on her website or on ticket sites, and it wasn't printed that way on the tickets either. It simply says Melanie C!

I know that for Germany they've called it "Version of Me Live on Tour" or "Version Of Me In Concert 2017", which makes more sense.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 12 Apr 2017, 18:29

The whole set list is baffling, 6 songs in before she does something not VOM and that is NS, way to get a party atmosphere going Mel.
Red Boy
Custom Title: On A Mission

Postby Red Boy » 12 Apr 2017, 18:46

Nice to see He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named still pressed and annoyed. :adam:

And he didn't even attend the tour. :laugh:
bryand

Postby bryand » 12 Apr 2017, 18:57

sammy01 wrote:The whole set list is baffling, 6 songs in before she does something not VOM and that is NS, way to get a party atmosphere going Mel.

Oh here you are bringing your waves of negativity to the Mel C forum as per usual! So predictable :dizzy:
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 12 Apr 2017, 19:29

sammy01 wrote:The whole set list is baffling, 6 songs in before she does something not VOM and that is NS, way to get a party atmosphere going Mel.

Did you go to the concert? Northern Star did get everyone going, everyone's hands were in the air waving and singing along I thought it was a highlight.
aw.s
Previous username(s): SoulNet

Postby aw.s » 12 Apr 2017, 20:02

When a new artist release a new record and I go to see them live after that, I expect the new material to be played for most of the gig, call me 'delusional'
bryand

Postby bryand » 12 Apr 2017, 21:07

aw.s wrote:When a new artist release a new record and I go to see them live after that, I expect the new material to be played for most of the gig, call me 'delusional'

Exactly!!! :inlove:
bryand

Postby bryand » 12 Apr 2017, 21:09

James wrote:
sammy01 wrote:The setlist seems like she has given up completely on any casual fans or anyone outside her absolute core fanbase was going to attend the tour. I guess it is nice for the fans to hear the album live but if it was your first Mel C gig or were dragged along by a friend I'm sure a couple of extra well known songs would have been a relief.

I stood at the back in Manchester and saw a few people walk out half way through - and a lot of the crowd looked bored stiff until something they knew came on. Definitely not one for the casuals, but at this point, if you've got the same bunch of loons buying tickets who will come regardless of what you sing, why not experiment?

Lol. What a load of ol tosh :dizzy:
SourSpice

Postby SourSpice » 12 Apr 2017, 21:25

As if she'd do the more rock songs like Goin Down, When You're Gone, Next Best Superstar during a set that's meant to be electronic. She's always going on about her new electronic sound, it makes sense to do the entire new album of the electronic sound with only a few classic hits that can be done electronically and still sound great.
James
Custom Title: Legacy member

Postby James » 12 Apr 2017, 21:35

bryand wrote:Lol. What a load of ol tosh :dizzy:

What exactly is a load of ol tosh? I did observe people walk out, I did hear people moaning they didn't know any of the songs, I did observe people looking bored stiff, and it is the same loons who attend every gig?
felx

Postby felx » 12 Apr 2017, 21:39

James wrote:

What exactly is a load of ol tosh? I did observe people walk out, I did hear people moaning they didn't know any of the songs, and it is the same loons who attend every gig?

silly people.....

going to the concert but not buying the new album????

who cares if they walked out...they paid the ticket that is the important..... :laugh:
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'"
MC2016

Postby MC2016 » 12 Apr 2017, 21:55

I went to the concert and I absolutely loved it. She was very energetic, a real force of nature.

Having said that, I do believe that 8 songs out of 12 from the album would have been enough. Max 9. Especially if you are planning to have an 18 song setlist. She performed NBS and YYY recently with a 6-8 songs setlist, I believe. I dont understand why she went so extreme with this recent setlist.
bryand

Postby bryand » 12 Apr 2017, 22:37

felx wrote:
James wrote:

What exactly is a load of ol tosh? I did observe people walk out, I did hear people moaning they didn't know any of the songs, and it is the same loons who attend every gig?

silly people.....

going to the concert but not buying the new album????

who cares if they walked out...they paid the ticket that is the important..... :laugh:

Exactly felx! :) . As for the " loons " :laugh:
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 13 Apr 2017, 00:44

I don't doubt she put on a good show, just the set list is a bit shit which is a shame. By all accounts the reworkings of old classics were a success so it is even more disappointing she didn't add in a couple more classics. I mean the set list is pretty short so she could have added 2 more songs and still played everything else.

She has 6 original albums and only used material from 3 and yet included a random cover.

I think a fair few casual fans do go to see people on tour, they get taken along by friends or pick up last minute tickets when looking for something to do that evening etc.

Imagine hearing electronic takes on Carolyna or Burn. Or if she really wanted to fan service a loved b-side like 'love to you' given a bit of a electronic twist.

I think 10 VOM tracks and 10 classics/SYBT would have been a real treat.
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 13 Apr 2017, 00:47

I agree that if you're gonna go and see someone live and haven't bothered to learn the latest album at least then it's your own fault if you don't know the songs.

I'm going to see Bruno Mars next week. Take That and Olly Murs in June. Steps in November. I've made sure I know their new album's as it's obviously what the tour is promoting so the majority of songs will be from that album
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 13 Apr 2017, 00:49

Also in the London VIP she did ask what we wanted to hear and people shouted old songs. She explained that the band was brand new so obviously don't know them. They've had to learn 18 songs to put on a full show. If she keeps the band (which I hope she does) then I'm sure they'll learn more of the back catalogue and hopefully remix them as well
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 13 Apr 2017, 00:53

Samuel-Bennett wrote:Also in the London VIP she did ask what we wanted to hear and people shouted old songs. She explained that the band was brand new so obviously don't know them. They've had to learn 18 songs to put on a full show. If she keeps the band (which I hope she does) then I'm sure they'll learn more of the back catalogue and hopefully remix them as well

Well that makes more sense, and they probably already knew SYBT (cus well who doesn't) and the Rag'n'Boneman song.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 13 Apr 2017, 04:26

sammy01 wrote:I don't doubt she put on a good show, just the set list is a bit shit which is a shame. By all accounts the reworkings of old classics were a success so it is even more disappointing she didn't add in a couple more classics. I mean the set list is pretty short so she could have added 2 more songs and still played everything else.

She has 6 original albums and only used material from 3 and yet included a random cover.

I think a fair few casual fans do go to see people on tour, they get taken along by friends or pick up last minute tickets when looking for something to do that evening etc.

Imagine hearing electronic takes on Carolyna or Burn. Or if she really wanted to fan service a loved b-side like 'love to you' given a bit of a electronic twist.

I think 10 VOM tracks and 10 classics/SYBT would have been a real treat.

I somewhat agree from a fan point of view. However casual fans / non fans do not know Carolyna and Burn let's be honest. I suppose your idea makes more sense in Europe as songs like Carolyna, Next best superstar, First day of my life, The moment you believe... were actually big hits in parts of Europe and big radio hits too so they would probably be more recognised. WYG is the only song she didn't do that 'casual/non' fans would recognise in the UK... :shrug: :shrug: In that sense it doesn't matter whether she performs unknown new tracks or previous unknown tracks...

I would love to have seen an electronic take on Carolyna though :inlove:

Finally my husband has been to 3 Melanie C gigs with me now. He knows a few of her older songs from the NS era, Loving you and also a couple of The Sea tracks due to me playing it in the car. Otherwise he isn't a fan and only really attends the shows for me. He only knew the NS songs, Think about it and SYBT at the gig. He walked away saying he thought it was great, best show he had seen yet and he wanted to borrow the new album to listen to in his car... This may well have happened for other people attending.
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 13 Apr 2017, 08:05

If they liked it great. If they didn't they don't have to go again. She's promoting her new album. The reason for the tour. I think in 2019 she should do something to celebrate 20 years of Northern Star - 20 years of being solo. Then the whingers can hear all the singles. See you there :D
bryand

Postby bryand » 13 Apr 2017, 10:27

RobKelly666 wrote:If they liked it great. If they didn't they don't have to go again. She's promoting her new album. The reason for the tour. I think in 2019 she should do something to celebrate 20 years of Northern Star - 20 years of being solo. Then the whingers can hear all the singles. See you there :D

Oh they'd still moan and criticise her for something! :music:
tommie

Postby tommie » 13 Apr 2017, 13:04

Except When You're Gone, what else could she have done? The only other thing close to a proper UK solo hit is Here It Comes Again as all other singles had fairly mediocre chart runs.

It'll be interesting if she switches up the German version of the tour. First Day Of My Life seems like a given to perform there...
nico487

Postby nico487 » 13 Apr 2017, 14:57

Do we have the audio of the concert ? :)
spice 4 life

Return to “Melanie C”