Version of Me Tour - UK / Ireland

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
felx

Re: Melanie C UK/Ireland Tour (April 2017)

Postby felx » 12 Apr 2017, 21:39

James wrote:
bryand wrote:Lol. What a load of ol tosh :dizzy:

What exactly is a load of ol tosh? I did observe people walk out, I did hear people moaning they didn't know any of the songs, and it is the same loons who attend every gig?

silly people.....

going to the concert but not buying the new album????

who cares if they walked out...they paid the ticket that is the important..... :laugh:
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'"
MC2016

Postby MC2016 » 12 Apr 2017, 21:55

I went to the concert and I absolutely loved it. She was very energetic, a real force of nature.

Having said that, I do believe that 8 songs out of 12 from the album would have been enough. Max 9. Especially if you are planning to have an 18 song setlist. She performed NBS and YYY recently with a 6-8 songs setlist, I believe. I dont understand why she went so extreme with this recent setlist.
bryand

Postby bryand » 12 Apr 2017, 22:37

felx wrote:
James wrote:
bryand wrote:Lol. What a load of ol tosh :dizzy:

What exactly is a load of ol tosh? I did observe people walk out, I did hear people moaning they didn't know any of the songs, and it is the same loons who attend every gig?

silly people.....

going to the concert but not buying the new album????

who cares if they walked out...they paid the ticket that is the important..... :laugh:

Exactly felx! :) . As for the " loons " :laugh:
ParisBurning

Postby ParisBurning » 12 Apr 2017, 23:50

Being someone who has attended all of Melanie's tours since she went solo and attended gigs at wembley, the astoria, nottingham royal court, Liverpool Barfly, Birmingham Academy and Institute to name but a few and also being a die hard fan I personally don't understand why anyone would just casually go to see a random artist they weren't a fan of or without first being a fan of the album the artist is currently touring. In my opinion I would rather hear the whole of/most of the new album after all we all know and love and have generally heard our favourite artists perform their biggest hits numerous times. I just think its nice to celebrate and enjoy and promote the current here and now project.

We are all different though and I respect others opinions and views if others want to go and see an artist perform who they have no interest in and have no idea what their current material is like then its up to them if they want to waste their money and time and end up walking out. Its no skin off the genuine fans noses, we shall all still be there thoroughly enjoying and supporting our favourite artists.

It is true in the fact that nowhere was it really advertised it was the Version Of Me Tour and maybe these people walking out thought 'oh its her from the spice girls she'll belt out a few spice girls numbers and we'll have a dance' who knows. Whereas the fans and people who follow Melanie more closely would have known it was a Version Of Me Tour and known what to expect having brought the album.

I do also feel after watching the live stream and being very impressed and excited to attend the Birmingham gig the next day (to see the gig and meet Melanie for the VIP experience) that the sound wasn't great on the live stream. When speaking to Melanie I said I thought the gig had been amazing and couldn't wait to see it live. The live stream was blown out of the water by the live show the vocals and atmosphere was just electric and 3 days on I'm still buzzing... though I have been waiting 20 years to meet Melanie so that has contributed to it lol
ParisBurning

Postby ParisBurning » 13 Apr 2017, 00:43

Actually I take it back about the sound on the live stream with a decent pair of headphones it sounds great :)
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 13 Apr 2017, 00:44

I don't doubt she put on a good show, just the set list is a bit shit which is a shame. By all accounts the reworkings of old classics were a success so it is even more disappointing she didn't add in a couple more classics. I mean the set list is pretty short so she could have added 2 more songs and still played everything else.

She has 6 original albums and only used material from 3 and yet included a random cover.

I think a fair few casual fans do go to see people on tour, they get taken along by friends or pick up last minute tickets when looking for something to do that evening etc.

Imagine hearing electronic takes on Carolyna or Burn. Or if she really wanted to fan service a loved b-side like 'love to you' given a bit of a electronic twist.

I think 10 VOM tracks and 10 classics/SYBT would have been a real treat.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Samuel-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Samuel-Bennett » 13 Apr 2017, 00:47

I agree that if you're gonna go and see someone live and haven't bothered to learn the latest album at least then it's your own fault if you don't know the songs.

I'm going to see Bruno Mars next week. Take That and Olly Murs in June. Steps in November. I've made sure I know their new album's as it's obviously what the tour is promoting so the majority of songs will be from that album
Samuel-Bennett

Postby Samuel-Bennett » 13 Apr 2017, 00:49

Also in the London VIP she did ask what we wanted to hear and people shouted old songs. She explained that the band was brand new so obviously don't know them. They've had to learn 18 songs to put on a full show. If she keeps the band (which I hope she does) then I'm sure they'll learn more of the back catalogue and hopefully remix them as well
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 13 Apr 2017, 00:53

Samuel-Bennett wrote:Also in the London VIP she did ask what we wanted to hear and people shouted old songs. She explained that the band was brand new so obviously don't know them. They've had to learn 18 songs to put on a full show. If she keeps the band (which I hope she does) then I'm sure they'll learn more of the back catalogue and hopefully remix them as well

Well that makes more sense, and they probably already knew SYBT (cus well who doesn't) and the Rag'n'Boneman song.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 13 Apr 2017, 04:26

sammy01 wrote:I don't doubt she put on a good show, just the set list is a bit shit which is a shame. By all accounts the reworkings of old classics were a success so it is even more disappointing she didn't add in a couple more classics. I mean the set list is pretty short so she could have added 2 more songs and still played everything else.

She has 6 original albums and only used material from 3 and yet included a random cover.

I think a fair few casual fans do go to see people on tour, they get taken along by friends or pick up last minute tickets when looking for something to do that evening etc.

Imagine hearing electronic takes on Carolyna or Burn. Or if she really wanted to fan service a loved b-side like 'love to you' given a bit of a electronic twist.

I think 10 VOM tracks and 10 classics/SYBT would have been a real treat.

I somewhat agree from a fan point of view. However casual fans / non fans do not know Carolyna and Burn let's be honest. I suppose your idea makes more sense in Europe as songs like Carolyna, Next best superstar, First day of my life, The moment you believe... were actually big hits in parts of Europe and big radio hits too so they would probably be more recognised. WYG is the only song she didn't do that 'casual/non' fans would recognise in the UK... :shrug: :shrug: In that sense it doesn't matter whether she performs unknown new tracks or previous unknown tracks...

I would love to have seen an electronic take on Carolyna though :inlove:

Finally my husband has been to 3 Melanie C gigs with me now. He knows a few of her older songs from the NS era, Loving you and also a couple of The Sea tracks due to me playing it in the car. Otherwise he isn't a fan and only really attends the shows for me. He only knew the NS songs, Think about it and SYBT at the gig. He walked away saying he thought it was great, best show he had seen yet and he wanted to borrow the new album to listen to in his car... This may well have happened for other people attending.
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 13 Apr 2017, 08:05

If they liked it great. If they didn't they don't have to go again. She's promoting her new album. The reason for the tour. I think in 2019 she should do something to celebrate 20 years of Northern Star - 20 years of being solo. Then the whingers can hear all the singles. See you there :D
bryand

Postby bryand » 13 Apr 2017, 10:27

RobKelly666 wrote:If they liked it great. If they didn't they don't have to go again. She's promoting her new album. The reason for the tour. I think in 2019 she should do something to celebrate 20 years of Northern Star - 20 years of being solo. Then the whingers can hear all the singles. See you there :D

Oh they'd still moan and criticise her for something! :music:
tommie

Postby tommie » 13 Apr 2017, 13:04

Except When You're Gone, what else could she have done? The only other thing close to a proper UK solo hit is Here It Comes Again as all other singles had fairly mediocre chart runs.

It'll be interesting if she switches up the German version of the tour. First Day Of My Life seems like a given to perform there...
nico487

Postby nico487 » 13 Apr 2017, 14:57

Do we have the audio of the concert ? :)
spice 4 life
Red Boy
Custom Title: On A Mission

Postby Red Boy » 13 Apr 2017, 16:49

LIVE REVIEW: MELANIE C – 8TH APRIL 2017 – SHEPHERD’S BUSH EMPIRE – LONDON, UK

Published On April 10, 2017 | By Brendon Veevers

With a career behind her as one fifth of the best selling girl group of all time, several applauded stints on the West End Stage and a hugely successful solo career that has seen her turn out several studio albums over the past 20 years, you would think that former Spice Girl-turned-solo superstar Melanie C would have little left to achieve. Despite all of the success that has come her way, the driving hunger inside of the musician is what has brought her 7th studio release to fruition.

Led by synth-pop toe-tapper Anymore, Version of Me was released toward the end of 2016 and saw the singer, who has previously dabbled in pop, rock and dance and has even dished up a pretty decent stage show covers collection (2012’s Stages), venture deeper into electronic terrain. It proved a fitting genre for an artist who had teased us with successful dance-oriented singles like I Turn To You quite early on in her career.

With more than her fair share of chart successes under her belt, any tour from Sporty Spice is bound to be a hit-filled night of entertainment, as we have been witness to throughout her touring career thus far, and Saturday nights performance at London’s famous Shepherds Bush Empire, a venue that Melanie C has frequented on tour over the years, was no different.

As the crowd were warming up to the arrival of the Liverpudlian superstar, and following a fantastic set from support act Alex Franics, the West London punters were offered an early surprise appearance from fellow Spice Girl, Geri Horner aka Ginger Spice who arrived with friend in tow to a deafening response from thousands of voices cheering her name and taking snaps of the singer who lapped up every ounce of admiration from those below and above with a couple of peace signs offered and selfies taken.

At a little after 8.45pm the lights dimmed, the beat kicked in and the northern star danced her way onto the stage to new album lead single Anymore; the tracks synth-dripping melodies creating an early club atmosphere before offering fellow new album tracks Escalator and Version Of Me; the latter seeing Melanie take to a set of drums to the side of the stage and pound out the tracks rhythmic closing.

“I’m gonna be quite self indulgent”, Melanie confessed to playing the entire new album during the night along with something “a little spicey” which garnered the singer a rapturous applause that could have been heard in nearby suburbs. On that note she continued her journey through tracks from the record which included the pulsating Room For Love and piano ballads Unraveling and Loving You Better, which both came peppered with some of the nights more beefier chorus’; the crowd swaying along with the singer who was dressed in a figure complimenting, shoulder-less and tattoo-revealing black dress, gold belt and a killer pair of shoes that increased the height of the pint sized superstar by at least a few extra inches.

While new album Version Of Me holds centre stage during this current tour, a handful of hits were interjected between the lesser known numbers, giving the set a beautiful balance of new and old; as the musician announced to the crowd, “Is there anyone here who would like to hear an oldie” before swinging into a sweeping, pitch-perfect performance of Northern Star from her 1999 solo debut.

Fellow Northern Star highlight, Never Be The Same Again was a clear highlight within the set; the crowd giving their all in providing the singer with a united backing vocal as she strutted the stage to the tracks infectious rhythm.

As the crowd enjoyed tracks from the new record alongside a small number of debut album highlights, the leading lady delivered a remarkable cover of Rag ‘N’ Bone Man’s breakthrough hit, Human into the middle of the show; declaring to the crowd “I think it’s a bit foolish to do a cover of an artist who’s a really big bastard” before offering a rendition that would make the Brit Award winning creator of the track proud.

Closing the main part of the set, Melanie gave the audience something they had waited for from the beginning of the show when it was announced that something ‘spicey’ would be revealed. With its recognizable beat, it didn’t take long for the audience to pick up on the arrival of the Spice Girls second number one single, Say You’ll Be There. With her former Ginger band mate watching on, Melanie offered the single in solo form; sealing the main section of her set with pure pop nostalgia.

With a performance of Hold On opening the 3-song encore and welcoming support act Alex James back on stage for a mesmerizing duet, the musicians 2011 album, The Sea was perfectly showcased through a punchy performance of Think About It before a burst of lasers welcomed one of the highlights of any Melanie C concert; I Turn To You in all its remixed glory. The track immediately turned the Shepherds Bush Empire into a techno-fueled nightclub as the flooring shook with the crowd dancing to one of the musicians most celebrated hits; ending the night with flawless showmanship.

Dancing energetically for the majority of the show in front of her backing back of four and the stars name brightly lit in changing colours overhead, Melanie’s raw talent and natural charisma owned the show; the singer unleashing various tracks from her new record to a loud and very enthusiastic Saturday night crowd.

Melanie C has long retained the reputation of being THE musician out of her previous Spice outfit having released 7 records and remaining a consistent stage performer, taking to the road frequently to show off her new records and successful back catalogue. Version Of Me is yet another reminder of Melanie’s staying power in pop and her ability to keep her fans satisfied through the supporting stage shows that she, quite frankly, slays! In a space where she has frequented many times during her solo career, including her 40th birthday in January 2014, the Shepherd’s Bush Empire served as a perfect spot to deliver another remarkable set of old and new for her fans who lapped up every note and word from one pop music’s brightest talents.

Set List:
Anymore
Escalator
Version of Me
Room for Love
Something for the Fire
Northern Star
Dear Life
Unraveling
Human (Rag N Bone Man cover)
Numb
Loving You Better
Never Be the Same Again
Our History
Blame
Say You’ll Be There (Spice Girls)

Encore:
Hold On
Think About It
I Turn To You

4.5 / 5 stars

Source
Samuel-Bennett

Postby Samuel-Bennett » 13 Apr 2017, 22:30

Nice review. Good description of the gig and he actually did a bit of research instead of writing anything and getting stuff wrong
Snapple Spice

Postby Snapple Spice » 14 Apr 2017, 06:44

Wow! This tour was amazing. I'm so glad I got to go to three shows AND meet Melanie (for the first time)! I'm not quiet sure how I'm going to plan future trips when I know they just can't compete with this one.

I took a ton of pictures and some videos (mostly from Birmingham and Belfast, where I was front row!) that I wish I could figure out how to post here!

If I happened to meet/see you at any of these shows, please shoot me a message! I don't remember everyone's names, but I met a ton of great people and it was so exciting to meet people who are just as big of fans as I am! My name is Heather, and I was one of the crazy people waiting super early (25 yo, black and grey curly hair for those of you who remember faces better than names!).
~I Love Melanie C :)~
ParisBurning

Postby ParisBurning » 14 Apr 2017, 13:25

I have audio from the London Shepherds Bush but no idea how to share tbh. I was at the Birmingham gig VIP and barrier for the gig so could well have met anyone of you from the Birmingham gig :)
CarlosAlmeida

Postby CarlosAlmeida » 14 Apr 2017, 14:27

ParisBurning wrote:I have audio from the London Shepherds Bush but no idea how to share tbh. I was at the Birmingham gig VIP and barrier for the gig so could well have met anyone of you from the Birmingham gig :)

put on https://mega.nz/ and send us the link :)
ParisBurning

Postby ParisBurning » 14 Apr 2017, 16:14

Working on it now .... Shall update if i manage to get it uploaded
ParisBurning

Postby ParisBurning » 14 Apr 2017, 16:37

https://mega.nz/#!kOAyGY4D

Link for audio download of Shepherd bush empire gig
ParisBurning

Postby ParisBurning » 14 Apr 2017, 16:41

!LNE9rfwaqvJClstq1nYoZvX4Btcy0CVHw4FaFXw0b5U

Decryption key
CarlosAlmeida

Postby CarlosAlmeida » 14 Apr 2017, 17:38

ParisBurning wrote:https://mega.nz/#!kOAyGY4D

Link for audio download of Shepherd bush empire gig

Thanks! :)
Glindathegood

Postby Glindathegood » 14 Apr 2017, 18:41

SourSpice wrote:As if she'd do the more rock songs like Goin Down, When You're Gone, Next Best Superstar during a set that's meant to be electronic. She's always going on about her new electronic sound, it makes sense to do the entire new album of the electronic sound with only a few classic hits that can be done electronically and still sound great.

Good point! I think that's another factor that played a role. Most of the older songs she didn't do are more rock, acoustic and ballads which didn't really fit into the electronic sound.
Glindathegood

Postby Glindathegood » 14 Apr 2017, 18:49

Samuel-Bennett wrote:I agree that if you're gonna go and see someone live and haven't bothered to learn the latest album at least then it's your own fault if you don't know the songs.

I'm going to see Bruno Mars next week. Take That and Olly Murs in June. Steps in November. I've made sure I know their new album's as it's obviously what the tour is promoting so the majority of songs will be from that album

I can see people going to a concert and not knowing the latest album when the singer/band is a huge star and icon with a gigantic number of hits over many decades, and their concerts are an event that people go to just to say they've gone and to experience them once. Examples would be Madonna, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Kylie, Rolling Stones.

A lot of older artists do play sets that only have a few new songs or are mostly from older albums, but that's artists that have a large number of hits and highly selling older albums.

But Melanie C is not on that level. People don't go to experience her as a must see on their bucket list. If you go to see an artist like Melanie C., you would have to know she doesn't have a huge number of gigantic hits. And surely you would check out her latest album?

Return to “Melanie C”