Amazon Documentary

Talk about Becks here
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that due to a request of the Beckhams, pictures of their children are NOT allowed to be posted on the forums!
Sah

Re: Amazon Documentary

Postby Sah » 10 Jun 2014, 11:44

^ Yeah, i was half on a phone so i wasn't sure if i missed his constant VB mentions. Plan to watch it again over the weekend. We know the press will always write what suits their agenda, like grace4 said, its not even worth a mention let alone anything else haha.
raqueldbab

Postby raqueldbab » 10 Jun 2014, 11:45

grace4 wrote:
raqueldbab wrote:^I thought it was sweet that he showed respect and consideration for his wife. The marriages that last are the ones when men "fear" their wife`s reaction to events, keeps them in check. It is a bit of a cliché and he totally abused it for "comedy" sake.

He abused it? I can only think of one timewhen he used it - when he made the comment that "Victoria thinks we're hunting for our food"

At the beginning "can`t you find yourself at home", with Brooklyn "don`t tell your mom", "mums know everything"... that is the attitude that transpires and I really like that respect. I don`t think Victoria was mentioned anywhere else in the documentary, but when he mentioned her that was the attitude that he had.
grace4

Postby grace4 » 10 Jun 2014, 11:58

raqueldbab wrote:
grace4 wrote:
raqueldbab wrote:^I thought it was sweet that he showed respect and consideration for his wife. The marriages that last are the ones when men "fear" their wife`s reaction to events, keeps them in check. It is a bit of a cliché and he totally abused it for "comedy" sake.

He abused it? I can only think of one timewhen he used it - when he made the comment that "Victoria thinks we're hunting for our food"

At the beginning "can`t you find yourself at home", with Brooklyn "don`t tell your mom", "mums know everything"... that is the attitude that transpires and I really like that respect. I don`t think Victoria was mentioned anywhere else in the documentary, but when he mentioned her that was the attitude that he had.

No - the Brooklyn exchange went as follows:

David: Aren't those your new shoes?
Brooklyn: Yes
David: Your mum's going to kill you (in a tell tale tone)
Brooklyn: Well, she doesn't have to know
David: Mums know everything

Equally, to the "Can't you find yourself at home" was in jokey conversation in response to how Anthony said his own wife reacted when he told her about the trip.

He joked about having to explain what football was to her, he talked about missing her and the kids, in his two conversations with Brooklyn he told Brooklyn to look after his mum and his siblings. He talked about it being difficult for her when he spent time in Milan. He spoke about having only ever slept in a hammock before with Victoria and the kids. I really didn't detect a kind of "attitude" everytime he mentioned her. Not that any of this matters or that they have anything to prove, but if the DM are going to criticise, they migt as well stick to the facts.
Last edited by grace4 on 10 Jun 2014, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
raqueldbab

Postby raqueldbab » 10 Jun 2014, 12:05

LOL, I didn`t mean "attitude" like that. It is really nice he feels like that about her. Why are you getting so defensive, geez. I will stop now. If you leave the defensive you will see how sweet it is, and you will be able to feel the vibe everyone is feeling. DM turned "fear" into fear, you are turning my respect and consideration for his wife into "attitude".
grace4

Postby grace4 » 10 Jun 2014, 12:15

raqueldbab wrote:LOL, I didn`t mean "attitude" like that. It is really nice he feels like that about her. Why are you getting so defensive, geez. I will stop now. If you leave the defensive you will see how sweet it is, and you will be able to feel the vibe everyone is feeling. DM turned "fear" into fear, you are turning my respect and consideration for his wife into "attitude".

Vibe everyone is feeling? everyone being you and the author of the DM article? I'm sorry if you find my tone defensive, my reference to "attitude" was taken from your own post. You said DM turned "fear" into fear? I don't understand what you mean.

I am simply pointing out that DM have generalised and exaggerated one comment that he made and turned that into the catchphrase of the whole documentary. Its all good and well saying that he had "that attitude every time he mentioned her" without backing the statement up with factually correct examples. Thats exactly what the tabloids do.

I'm happy to call a spade a spade, but on this occasion I will defend them.
mel2vicem

Postby mel2vicem » 10 Jun 2014, 12:16

Nowadays, I think in the UK the huge ratings are only for dramas and soap operas that are established and football matches. Over 5 million after 9pm is good for a 90min documentary; people missed the crucial first 30mins because of Coronation St. Obviously he isn't as popular as his England playing years, it would have been more if he did this docu back then.

It was a sweet moment when he was in his room and put his family photos out and read the letters from the kids.
Sah

Postby Sah » 10 Jun 2014, 12:22

Its interesting, and kinda shocking, how positive the Tweets are of people who watched, its basically 98% positive, even from those who have no interest in Brand Beckham.
grace4

Postby grace4 » 10 Jun 2014, 12:23

mel2vicem wrote:Nowadays, I think in the UK the huge ratings are only for dramas and soap operas that are established and football matches. Over 5 million after 9pm is good for a 90min documentary; people missed the crucial first 30mins because of Coronation St. Obviously he isn't as popular as his England playing years, it would have been more if he did this docu back then.
It was a sweet moment when he was in his room and put his family photos out and read the letters from the kids.

Agreed. And like Sah says, the documetary will be viewed by millions around the world. I also think the UK promotional campaign could have done with a personal tv/radio interview in the weeks leading up to the broadcast. The press launch with Michael Palin was relatively limited in its reach and you should never expect the tabloids to publicise your docu/film. Also, people watch too much TV "on demand" these days for the brief trailers to have had much impact/be seen by many.
mel2vicem

Postby mel2vicem » 10 Jun 2014, 12:24

It's a hit!

David Beckham's BBC One travel documentary topped the ratings outside soaps on Monday, overnight data reveals.

Into the Unknown attracted 4.6 million (20.7%) at 8.30pm, around 2m higher than the timeslot last week.
grace4

Postby grace4 » 10 Jun 2014, 12:28

Sah wrote:Its interesting, and kinda shocking, how positive the Tweets are of people who watched, its basically 98% positive, even from those who have no interest in Brand Beckham.

which is what makes the tabloid reviews so pathetic and, as you said, predictable. I think the major beneficiary of this documentary will actually be Dave! He came across so well (none of this "first world problems, I need to find myself" lol!) and I've read loads of tweets with people wanting to see more of him on TV.
Margaret

Postby Margaret » 10 Jun 2014, 12:37

I could watch it again just to see Dave, lol.

I agree Sah, Victoria and Dave could be hilarious together! Their sense of humour is very similar.

I loved how David talked about Victoria, they are just the same married couple as everyone, haha. And I liked how David called Denise Vasi "D".
gugette

Postby gugette » 10 Jun 2014, 14:02

grace4 wrote:
Sah wrote:Its interesting, and kinda shocking, how positive the Tweets are of people who watched, its basically 98% positive, even from those who have no interest in Brand Beckham.

which is what makes the tabloid reviews so pathetic and, as you said, predictable. I think the major beneficiary of this documentary will actually be Dave! He came across so well (none of this "first world problems, I need to find myself" lol!) and I've read loads of tweets with people wanting to see more of him on TV.

I think one of the sweetest parts was when David said Dave was exactly where he was supposed to be, awww. glad my boy's getting the love he deserves :p.
Anthony's comment about Denise's reaction was so like her from what I've seen of her.
Heather
Custom Title: Mrs B 10.22.2005

Postby Heather » 10 Jun 2014, 16:32

kittie wrote:It is on youtube - if anyone is interested.

Yep, my husband put it up for me/us.
kittie

Postby kittie » 10 Jun 2014, 17:22

Heather wrote:
kittie wrote:It is on youtube - if anyone is interested.

Yep, my husband put it up for me/us.

Oh, that was him! Really nice - thank you/him! :)
-Claudia-

Postby -Claudia- » 10 Jun 2014, 17:29

I loved it! I loved Dave too, but my favourite part of it was when he joined the locals on the beach to play football. You could tell he was in his element, it was lovely to see.
Lah
Custom Title: I love Hugh Dancy

Postby Lah » 10 Jun 2014, 17:31

Thanks to your busband Heather!
I am watching it now.. loving it!
Suki

Postby Suki » 10 Jun 2014, 20:18

Thanks a lot to your husband Heather! Will watch it again as I have missed the beginning.
Sah

Postby Sah » 10 Jun 2014, 20:19

Lah would love to hear your thoughts on it, especially the part of him in Rio.etc, and if you thought it showed your country well?

I think it was really, really beautifully shot. So many amazing scenes, Anthony is incredibly talented, and i think he did a great job capturing everything! The atmosphere, real moments with David, fantastic banter they have as friends, his fmaily life, and in that amazing ending of them meeting the tribe. It showed a different kind of life, and their fear the new opening of roads ruining their assistance.

Also these are really cool friends to have, Derek was so cute, and nice, Dave is funny, and defo "posh" haha, and Mandler very smart. And it just reminded me that David is beautiful outside and in, he truly is a wonderful man. But seriously how can one man look this great, even with dirt on his face, he looked gorgeous, and i stand by what i always said; he has aged beautifully! We should all be so lucky! Also as someone who LOVES his tattoos, it was amazing to see them in motion, and for longer periods of time on video, i think they are just beautiful.

And now i want to go to Brazil even more, what a country!
Suki

Postby Suki » 10 Jun 2014, 20:37

Is it actually there home?

I think it is hilarious when David asks Brooklyn: What do you think? Will I struggle with anything? And Brooklyn says immediatly Spiders. And David: Why? I'm always brave....
Heather
Custom Title: Mrs B 10.22.2005

Postby Heather » 10 Jun 2014, 20:47

I don't really understand the DM's comments. All couples joke like that. Husbands joke they have to ask their wife before they can play golf,call her the boss,etc and wives joke their husbands will get mad that they spend money shopping. Isn't it just a normal thing?
It made him seem like a normal husband to me.
Sah

Postby Sah » 10 Jun 2014, 20:57

^ Same here, it totally made me see him in a "regular" light, like any husband or boyfriend. And to be fair he didn't yapp for 90 minutes "Victoria this, Victoria that", it wasn't annoying, it was "real". But then its the tabloid press, we cant expect them to be anything but negative, and to twist things, i love how they never complain about it, just live their lives.
raqueldbab

Postby raqueldbab » 10 Jun 2014, 21:02

Heather wrote:I don't really understand the DM's comments. All couples joke like that. Husbands joke they have to ask their wife before they can play golf,call her the boss,etc and wives joke their husbands will get mad that they spend money shopping. Isn't it just a normal thing?

Don\t let grace4 hear you. :cool:
Margaret

Postby Margaret » 10 Jun 2014, 21:09

Heather wrote:I don't really understand the DM's comments. All couples joke like that. Husbands joke they have to ask their wife before they can play golf,call her the boss,etc and wives joke their husbands will get mad that they spend money shopping. Isn't it just a normal thing?

+1
Suki

Postby Suki » 10 Jun 2014, 21:09

raqueldbab wrote:

Don\t let grace4 hear you. :cool:

But I think this is what Grace4 just meant. He just behaved normally.
Lah
Custom Title: I love Hugh Dancy

Postby Lah » 10 Jun 2014, 21:20

Sah wrote:Lah would love to hear your thoughts on it, especially the part of him in Rio.etc, and if you thought it showed your country well?

I think it was really, really beautifully shot. So many amazing scenes, Anthony is incredibly talented, and i think he did a great job capturing everything! The atmosphere, real moments with David, fantastic banter they have as friends, his fmaily life, and in that amazing ending of them meeting the tribe. It showed a different kind of life, and their fear the new opening of roads ruining their assistance.

Also these are really cool friends to have, Derek was so cute, and nice, Dave is funny, and defo "posh" haha, and Mandler very smart. And it just reminded me that David is beautiful outside and in, he truly is a wonderful man. But seriously how can one man look this great, even with dirt on his face, he looked gorgeous, and i stand by what i always said; he has aged beautifully! We should all be so lucky! Also as someone who LOVES his tattoos, it was amazing to see them in motion, and for longer periods of time on video, i think they are just beautiful.

And now i want to go to Brazil even more, what a country!

Yes hun, i really liked it and i loved how he seems to love my country.. that was really nice to see. He was so happy playing soccer at the beach, bless him.
But, my reality is so different from the amazon one.. never been there but ive watched a buch of Amazon documentaries before etc, so i kinda "knew" what they were going into.. but wow, i would have gone crazy in the middle of the jungle.. i would be even more posh than Dave hahaha

This docu made me fall in love with David all over again and made me like Dave aswell, he seems a great friend. Loved the other two aswell.

Return to “David Beckham”