Vogue Netherlands July/August cover

It’s Exhausting Being This Fabulous
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that due to a request of the Beckhams, pictures of their children are NOT allowed to be posted on the forums!
posh_girl

Re: Vogue Netherlands July/August cover

Postby posh_girl » 02 Jul 2017, 12:31

I would love to see the scans and to read the interview as well, would be really appreciated :angel:
Jer

Postby Jer » 02 Jul 2017, 19:03

STUNNING cover and shoot. Definitely one of my favourite covers of hers in the past few years.
posh_girl

Postby posh_girl » 20 Jul 2017, 20:55

Sah wrote:Got my issue, and the cover is really gorgeous in print, she got around 14 pages too, really nice spread for her. There is also a long interview with Q&A, and it seems she talked about OBE, and her decision not to wear the hat.etc Would be cool if we got a translation.

could you post scans of the whole interview with the pictures, would really appreciate it!
I couldn't find a copy here in Munich - sadly...
simby

Postby simby » 14 Aug 2017, 17:11

No HQ of the cover?
SoSoDef

Postby SoSoDef » 18 Aug 2017, 10:08

I started on a quick translation. Hope to finish the rest later this weekend!

Google her name and you get 32 million hits. ‘ Who knew?’ I’ve never googled myself and I can’t believe that someone beliefs I’m that interesting. I’m pretty boring actually.’ Yeah right. Victoria Beckham is talking during a photo shoot in the mountains in Bel Air, a posh suburb of Los Angeles. In a fabulous mid-century house at Reevesbury Drive, a windingroad where in the ‘60’s artists like Bing Crosby and Denis Hopper would build a bachelor pad or hunting lodge.
Victoria seems to feel at home – with this hectic life she has lived for the past 20 years, she probably learned to adapt to situations like a chameleon. Between pictures she dances to Bruno Mars. ‘This is fun’.
The shoot ends with Victoria in a Japanese hottub on the terrace with a picture she calls ‘magical’. A quick blow-dry and she’ll be gone, because she wants to be home when David and the kids arrive from London to spend May half term in LA. The night before she was a guest at The Late Late Show With James Cordon, in which she plays a part in a funny movie as a mannequin. James is great, he is a good friend of David’s. Of course she couldn’t escape Carpool Karaoke. ‘So much fun. I never realized how camp I was until I saw it back. I was, oh my God, I like turn into this person, who is this?’
She’s funny, photogenic and witty but rarely does tv-shows. Unless there is a good reason, and this show coincides with the launch of her line for Target.
For 6 years the family lived in LA, David played at LA Galaxy and their four kids still have friends living there. Every school holiday we try to go to our house here, quality time for the whole family. Lots of walking and surfing together, we are very outdoorsy and make our own red wine in Napa Valley. For own use only, it’s not for sale. The Beckhams wine is called Luttrellstown, after the castle in Ireland where they got married in 1999. When the kids were smaller they used to help picking grapes during harvest time. They would stamp them with their feet. Can she walk normally on the street in LA because they’re used to famous people here? ‘No, the media attention is the same everywhere. That’s why we try to keep our daily life as underground as possible. There are places where you can’t escape the paparazzi, like at airports. But some are quite nice and give me feedback and yell: ‘Great shoes!’ Or ‘We love your back’.’ Of course in the hope of her smiling at them. ‘Well, that’s never going to happen. But I’ll never complain about the paparazzi. They’ve been following me since I was 18, you just have to accept it, it is what it is.’ But every now and then she makes fun of it, like recently with a t-shirt that read: Fashion stole my smile.
The image of her never smiling keeps haunting her. ‘I honestly don’t understand why people care about me smiling or not. I’ve been photographed by paparazzi so many times, that whenever I see one, I automatically react and say to myself: head down, walk through the airport, get in the car. Besides that, I am a complete control freak and to put a control freak in an out-of-control situation filled with swarming paparazzi in which you have no control over the pictures they take of you, that’s a pretty uncomfortable position. That’s why I don’t look happy.’
Privately, she does smile. There’s used to be a lot of humor in the Adams family home, back in Hertfordshire. ‘I laughed a lot with my younger brother and sister, my mom is hilarious, just like my dad. David and I have a lot of fun together too. If I was really as miserable as I look in some pictures, my kids wouldn’t be this happy. And I would definitely not still be married.’
London, a month later, at the VB headquarters, a 15-minute drive from her flagship store in Dover street. ‘ Ofcourse I remember you’, she says as I walk into her office. ‘You asked me where the wine was at 3 in the afternoon’ It’s typically her. A hectic schedule, every minute is filled, more often in a plane than in a car, 4 kids, but sharp as a razor and a memory like an elephant. She just did castings for the look books of both the Victoria Victoria Beckham line (VVB), her second one, as well as Victoria Beckham, the pret-a-porter line she shows during New York Fashion week. Tomorrow she has a press call for Estee Lauder with who she lances a limited-edition makeup collection, Monday she will visit manufacturers in Milan, then two days of design meetings with her team, 24 hours in New York, 12 hours in Hong Kong and then to Beijing and Shanghai to promote her collaboration with Estee Lauder. A normal person would get tired thinking of such a schedule, not Victoria Beckham. Sports and discipline keep her focused. ‘I spend a lot of time in the gym. This morning I woke up at 05.15. It drives David crazy because he likes to stay up late while I go to bed early. I run 5,5 km every morning, then I train for an hour with a personal trainer and then I’ll just be in time in the kitchen to puree Romeo’s avocados. His toast will jump from the toaster the moment he gets down to eat his breakfast.’
Oh my god, she’s the perfect mother as well. ‘I wouldn’t say that, but ‘m trying. And I love early starts, and to do so much before the phone starts ringing endlessly.’ When she’s in London she goes to her office every day. ‘I still get a great feeling out of it, every day is different and brings new challenges.’ And in the evening, yes really, she’s back in time for dinner. ‘I come through the front door, the moment David and the kids sit down at the dinner table. We always eat breakfast and dinner together, that’s an unwritten rule.’
Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Aug 2017, 11:47

/\/\ That's so entertaining, thanks a lot for your hard work! It's really impeccable English, too! Well done, can't wait for the rest of it:)
posh_girl

Postby posh_girl » 18 Aug 2017, 18:52

thanks so much for the translation! Very readable and interesting :)

could you post pictures of the pages? thanks in advance
SoSoDef

Postby SoSoDef » 18 Aug 2017, 20:53

I was under the impression that you felt comfortable during the shoot in a bikini with wet hair. And you’re often photographed in a tracksuit with sneakers, something that was unimaginable till a few years ago
‘Well, because of all the paparazzi pictures people got a certain image of me, but I’m just a mum running after 4 children. I’m not the luxurious pussy (this is a weird translation, don’t know the English saying for this) that people think I am. As a mum you learn to let go. I used to wear high heels and tight clothing as a result of my insecurities. Nowadays I can express my creativity through my work, I don’t have to use my looks to do that anymore, so I am much more relaxed about it. I’m not perfect, I don’t have to look like I’m 25. I’m 43 and that sounds worse than it feels. I focus on what I’ve achieved and feel blessed.’

Did you have a big birthday party in April or did you lay in bed feeling depressed?
‘We did a workout with the family in LA, after that I had meetings in London. I spend most of my birthday alone on a plane, but don’t feel sorry for me. A few days later I received an OBE (Officer Of The British Empire) from Prince William and celebrated my birthday after that with friends and family. ‘

How does that feel to have an OBE?
‘It was an amazing day, especially for my parents. I felt extremely humble in Buckingham Palace between all the other people that received one. A lot of great people together. I had met Prince William before and he knows David well, but it was still very exciting.’

What did you wear to Buckingham Palace?
‘ A dark blue dress with an exaggerated sleeve from my collection, no hat or hairpiece. I wanted to keep it simple and sophisticated, this wasn’t about showing my designs.’

When you travel and have 10 minutes to pack a suitcase, what goes in it?
Oh, that’s not going to work, I always spend so much time because I want to try everything on first. I’m over organized. I hang all the clothes I want to take on a rack, so I have an overview. I often sit down with the head of my design studio before a trip to try on sample sizes to maybe take with me.’

Last year you were on a plane from LA to London and set down next to Tom Ford, who gave you a big compliment. Did you ever dream about that?
‘I never could have dreamed that, but it felt amazing when he told me he was looking at a Spice Girls photo and didn’t see me as Posh Spice anymore but as a designer. And that coming from Tom Ford who I respect so much. My goal is to constantly challenge myself and be content. A compliment is the icing on the cake, a bonus. But I never expect it. Never ask too much of the universe.’

Hadn’t you met Tom Ford prior, also on a plane?
‘Yes, like 20 years before in my Spice Girls days. I was overwhelmed. I was so scared I didn’t take my heels and tight clothes of for the entire 10-hour flight. Tom, by the way, still wears a suit the entire flight. He doesn’t even take of his jacket, doesn’t lean back his chair, just watches movies the entire flight.’
SoSoDef

Postby SoSoDef » 19 Aug 2017, 08:53

Did the press give you a hard time when you, as a Spice Girl with a uh… weird style of clothing, started your own fashion label 10 years ago?
I was aware of the preconceptions, but I was also very naive, luckily. I knew so little about the fashion industry. But my label was a success from the start. At Harrods it was the first collection ever to be sold out before it even hit the shop. That made the expectations for collection #2 of course real high.

Had any sleepless nights?
O yes, many. And I still do every now and then, as a show is coming up. And it’s not getting any easier, someone had told me that before I started. Bullshit, I thought. But he was right. Some collections fall quite naturally into place and sometimes it’s a big struggle. There’s so much that goes into it, the lighting, the flooring, the music, casting the models. I’m on top of every detail, even approve the color of the seats that everybody sits on. I find it hard to delegate.

How did you grow as a designer?
It was important to not do too much at once. The first couple of seasons I only focused on dresses. When my team and I were ready and built the knowledge we needed we added knitwear. After that came tailoring and only then it became about an entire wardrobe. The label is growing organically and that feels great. I keep the design team real small, only 5 people including 2 interns and me.

The fashion industry has changed a lot since your first collection, just the whole ‘see-now, buy-now, wear-now’. What’s your opinion about that?
I keep an eye out for everything but am not in a position to produce that quickly. Personally I see nothing wrong with longing for something beautiful. As a teenager when I wanted a pair of sneakers I had to wait until my birthday or Christmas. I’m also afraid it kills all creativity. You have to buy fabric before you even had the show, while for me the magic happens just before the show. When everything comes together.

Do you remember something that you wanted in your teenage years and had to wait a long time for?
I was crazy about Grease and wanted that very tight, shiny black pants with red shoes like Olivia Newton-John wears in the movie. My mother didn’t like it at all. A friend of her, promised to buy them for me, but she never did. I’ll never forget that. My parents were pretty well off, but I never got everything I wanted. Our kids are the same now. It’s important you always have something to dream about.

What was your biggest eye-opener on fashion?
That I had to learn so much, so fast. I knew nothing about the fashion industry, nor did Simon Fuller or David, my business partners. The system is so complicated. I’d never realized what a rollercoaster it is. It never stops, you’re continuously designing, pre-collections, main collections for Victoria Beckham, VVB and handbags, 4 collections per category – each year. And then you have collaborations and lookbook shoots. You’re constantly running without ever catching a breath.

Does one of your kids have a talent for designing as well?
We’ll have to wait and see. Brooklyn is very passionate about photography, Romeo loves fashion and Cruz wants to sing, play guitar and write songs. But when we go out, he spends the most time in front of the mirror styling his hair. Brooklyn also spends lots of time on his style – although you can’t really tell. And Harper, I doubt she will go into fashion when she grows up. She’s a real bookworm and works hard at school. Who does she look like? Hard to say, I think more of David. Brooklyn has my personality, but David’s looks. Romeo looks like me, but his personality is just like David’s. He is so fanatic and devoted to tennis, it’s insane. When he has a practice the next morning, he will lay out his tennis clothes the night before. He’ll be a fantastic sports man.
Last edited by SoSoDef on 19 Aug 2017, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
SoSoDef

Postby SoSoDef » 19 Aug 2017, 11:09

Was it a big disappointment for David that all his sons quit football?
I think it would have been amazing for him if at least one would have chosen football, but he also understands how difficult it must be for the boys to have David Beckham as your father. They were under a lot of pressure. And football is David’s passion, not theirs.

How’s life for Harper in a male dominated household?
‘Oh she quite feisty. Lady Harper. A strong personality, a tomboy. She knows how to stand up for herself.

And she probably knows how to wrap her dad around her finger.
100%. We’re just as strict with her as we are with the boys, but Harper gets away with more with David. We try to give our children as normal a childhood as possible. David’s parents and my parents are very involved in us raising them, that has helped. They did so many fun, normal things with them. They didn’t grow up only eating at the finest restaurants. Nothing worse than a spoiled brat that thinks they’re better than everyone else.

Do the kids think you’re cool or are they – quite healthy actually – a bit embarrassed?
Brooklyn had a period of time when he wanted to be dropped off by David at the end of the street instead of school. But he’s grown past that. If you’re embarrassed that David Beckham is your dad, what hope is there for other dads? When he turned 18, we went for dinner, after that he wanted to go to a club with his friends. And he invited David and me as well. I told him that wasn’t necessary. I was wearing a white cotton blouse with a velvet folding skirt. I looked so out of place, but he really wanted us there. So sweet.

Are you there for school plays?
Absolutely and the school treats us just the same as everyone else. When Harper has a performance, all parents are at school early to get a good spot. We are also standing there. In the rain. There’s no one to say, Mr. and Mrs., Beckham please show up 5 minutes before the show and we will get you nice seats.

You wouldn’t want that, because then everyone would be gossiping about you.
Well, I wouldn’t mind it actually. I might have to put on my OBE one of these days.

Now that David has retired football, he’s much more at home. Do you enjoy that?
He’s my soulmate, we complete each other and I love finally having him around more. Football demands such a disciplined life, there’s much more time now to enjoy the kids and each other.

Wat did you like most about his personality when you met him?
David is close with his family, just like me. When I met him in the players’ lounge of Manchester United, all his teammates were at the bar and David was the only one sitting further away with his family. And I respect him so much, he has an amazing work ethic, does a lot of philanthropic work, and is just so generous and kind and a loving person.

And he has kept the plane ticket on which you wrote your phone number at your first meeting
Yes, that’s in a safe. I’m just like David, keeping everything. Like all the cards we sent each other, boxes full of them. I’m not a hoarder, but little valuable things like that I will never throw away.
SoSoDef

Postby SoSoDef » 19 Aug 2017, 11:11

That's the article, hope you like it!
Sah

Postby Sah » 19 Aug 2017, 14:17

^ Thanks a million :hug: for taking the time to translate the interview for us. You rock!
posh_girl

Postby posh_girl » 19 Aug 2017, 16:14

Thanks so much for the translation! :angel:
Suki

Postby Suki » 19 Aug 2017, 18:31

Thank you sooooo much. It's very much apreciated. :adam:
Cyteen

Postby Cyteen » 21 Aug 2017, 00:51

I know how hard it is to translate something in a language that's not your mother tongue so thanks a lot :)
Can I call a cab to take you home ?

Return to “Victoria Beckham”