4th Album Thread | Recording New Songs

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
tommie

Re: 4th Album Thread | Recording new songs

Postby tommie » 04 May 2017, 17:51

PeruvianSpice wrote:Her attitude has changed so much that I think she really is ok with not beint Top 20 anymore... she seems so calm now

Top 20?

More than likely she would risk missing the top 100 considering her audience is unlikely to stream her single! She needs and whatever label is with needs to look at what Rick Astley, All Saints and Steps did - release one single and then follow with the album in a low sales period. A high charting album would get her good press and get Radio 2 and the likes to continue supporting her for any follow up singles.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 04 May 2017, 18:27

Well, yeah... I meant that whatever outcome, she might be sad but I don't think it would throw her into that "depression" mode she got into after each "flop"
tommie

Postby tommie » 04 May 2017, 18:53

If she truly didn't care she'd have put it out five years ago. I think she does care about success and it wouldn't surprise me if she actually ended up releasing a big fat nothing sadly. If Ride It getting into the top five disappointed her, I can't imagine how she'll react when the singles inevitably doesn't chart.

I mean, there's a reason why she haven't released stuff in 12 years. She even backed out on doing a hits compilation a few years ago apparently...
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 04 May 2017, 19:06

Wasn't she "ok" with Ride It being #4?
Peter

Postby Peter » 04 May 2017, 20:02

tommie wrote:She even backed out on doing a hits compilation a few years ago apparently...

For a decent hits album you need at least 10/12 "hits" and Geri had them only 8 top 5 hits. Best Of you meant I guess;)
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 04 May 2017, 20:07

PeruvianSpice wrote:Wasn't she "ok" with Ride It being #4?

No. Back then she was disappointed that it didn't do better.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 04 May 2017, 20:43

But in the "There's Something About Geri" docu she said something like: I'm fine that its midweek is 3... And I know it's your job to care doing it better (to her manager) but I actually feel Happy...
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 04 May 2017, 22:01

She was not happy. She wanted it to top the chart. It was a very low-key week, no other significant releases as far as I can remember. I think number 4 was great for a song like "Ride It". But Geri worked her ass off promoting it and expected it to pay off more.

It's not a thing that matters but it's just to show that Geri has a history of expecting hard work to pay off- when singles don't sell themselves like they did in the 90's.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 04 May 2017, 22:44

I'm not sure if Ride It charting at four would've hugely bothered her though she probably was hoping for that fifth number 1 given how much promo she did for it during its release week.

Desire six months later on the other hand must've really hurt especially as she recently admitted to only putting it out over Love Never Loved Me as she hoped radio would play it. Unfortunately for her she got blacklisted and it bombed in at number 22.

It would've been interesting to see the response Half Of Me would've gotten with a UK itunes release. I don't expect it would've been a hit but Mel B's single made an impressive UK itunes beginning but due to no promo quickly fell.
Kevsie

Postby Kevsie » 05 May 2017, 00:17

^ as much as I love Geri. For once in my life is a TUNE, half of. E isn't great and wouldn't have had the same impact (in my opinion)
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 05 May 2017, 00:27

It was a messy period for her, 2004. Especially the last half of it, after more or less being ordered back to Londok from LA by EMI to fulfill her contract and finally release that 3rd album.

Looking back it's not hard to see she must have had a really rough time during this period. She gained a lot of weight, she said herself she wasn't in a happy place at all, she was not very satisfied with her management (if I remember correctly she changed her management during the first months of 2005, prior to the release of "Passion"). Her management set up a heavy schedule for her prior to the release of Ride It. There was the documentary, the Tickled Pink concert (which I believe she was and still is very proud of), the huge amount of promo appearances (that she didn't particularly enjoy doing anymore), she was traveling to Italy, to Russia, the GAY-concert, not to mention the UK arena tour that was eventually slated... Must have been a lot of pressure for her.

And definitely did it hit her harder with "Desire" charting so low, it was so sad to see her so defeated even days prior to the release of "Passion"...
MAD

Postby MAD » 05 May 2017, 00:46

I hope she finally decides to release some songs in some way. Once she makes music she spends money. She should release it even if only on iTunes because she has already lost money in the making process. Keeping songs for herself doesn't change this.
tommie

Postby tommie » 05 May 2017, 12:19

MAD wrote:I hope she finally decides to release some songs in some way. Once she makes music she spends money. She should release it even if only on iTunes because she has already lost money in the making process. Keeping songs for herself doesn't change this.

We don't know what the deal with her and her producers are though - some doesn't get money until the stuff is actually officially released. Also, a lot of the album seems to have been done in home studio(s). She might not have spent a lot of money at all on this album considering she recorded most (all?) of it without a label.
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 05 May 2017, 13:30

I don't understand why she doesn't simply upload some songs (the whole man on the mountain for example and other songs she recorded through the years) on her site for free for the fans.
Artists do that all the time. I don't think she would get in trouble as she wouldn't be making any money from this to need to pay the writers etc
if she's doing it for the fans and her love for music, the fans are waiting...
1000 monks. 1000 religions.
tommie

Postby tommie » 05 May 2017, 14:21

She might still be getting into trouble if she does that - even if she doesn't end up using the tracks, the producers might want to re-use elements of it. Even if legally she might not get into too much trouble, she might end up pissing off people she's worked with. Look at how she's completely seems to have ditched Elliot Kennedy after Man on the Mountain and Song For Her leaked!
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 05 May 2017, 15:51

tommie wrote:She might still be getting into trouble if she does that - even if she doesn't end up using the tracks, the producers might want to re-use elements of it. Even if legally she might not get into too much trouble, she might end up pissing off people she's worked with. Look at how she's completely seems to have ditched Elliot Kennedy after Man on the Mountain and Song For Her leaked!

I understand what you're saying. However, I would have ditched Elliot before even recording song for her.
By the way do we have a list of lyricists of man on the mountain album or is it all Geri and Elliot? Having enjoyed four-five songs, I'm pretty sure Elliot had nothing to do with them.
1000 monks. 1000 religions.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 05 May 2017, 16:56

Andreas wrote:It was a messy period for her, 2004. Especially the last half of it, after more or less being ordered back to Londok from LA by EMI to fulfill her contract and finally release that 3rd album.

Looking back it's not hard to see she must have had a really rough time during this period. She gained a lot of weight, she said herself she wasn't in a happy place at all, she was not very satisfied with her management (if I remember correctly she changed her management during the first months of 2005, prior to the release of "Passion"). Her management set up a heavy schedule for her prior to the release of Ride It. There was the documentary, the Tickled Pink concert (which I believe she was and still is very proud of), the huge amount of promo appearances (that she didn't particularly enjoy doing anymore), she was traveling to Italy, to Russia, the GAY-concert, not to mention the UK arena tour that was eventually slated... Must have been a lot of pressure for her.

And definitely did it hit her harder with "Desire" charting so low, it was so sad to see her so defeated even days prior to the release of "Passion"...

This sounds like inside info. Sounds interesting...

Then I guess she was putting up a brave face during "There's Something About Geri" when she said she was happy about "Ride It" being #4
ep7210

Postby ep7210 » 06 May 2017, 04:11

For me, her putting on so much weight for Passion was a strategy, since she thought the public didn't like the skinny her for Scream and why it didn't do as good as Schizophonic.
And honestly, she wouldn't have been satisfied with ANY management at that time, she was so bloody cocky at that time of her life...
Last edited by ep7210 on 06 May 2017, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
menime123

Postby menime123 » 06 May 2017, 15:21

To say Geri purposely gained weight as a publicity stunt, or as a method of reconnecting with the public is a terrible thing to say. Geri had a very, very public eating disorder and if anything, her gaining weight before Passion imo was part of her recovery - which I'm very please to see has continued to this day.

Passion flopped a whole load of reasons, but not a single one of them is weight related.
menime123

Postby menime123 » 06 May 2017, 15:44

I think Geri probably has spent a lot of money on her album - she has collaborated with so many people that those people will definitely invoice her for their time.

Yes she's worked in her own studio but she has also worked with producers who I assume also have been paid - anyone who entered into a 'work now, pay upon release' contract with Geri at this point must be mad because it's akin to working for free.

The other issue we have is we know she had something going on with Warner - for all we know they could have offered her a bit of cash to develop an album, with an opt out option if they didn't like it or felt it wasn't for them. If so, they could own some of her music.But as it stands we simply don't know who owns her music.

The biggest thing I fail to understand is how any label could have passed on MOTM. It is a fantastic album with strong songs. Yes, granted it goes against current trends sonically, but there will always be a market (however big of small) for pop music.

I know I sound like a crazed fan, but it is a solid pop album and genuine pop music fans have been ignored now for such a long time - anyone who was a teenager around the millennium who was a fan of pop music knows what I mean. I love MOTM because that's the music I grew up with. It's unashamed, full on singalong harmless pop music. You have no idea how excited I was when All Saints did it last year and Steps have done it this year on their albums.

Their success imo proves there is a market for this type of pop music and I really hope Geri finds a way to tap into it - she is one of the genres biggest success stories, and as a Spice Girl, helped shape that entire trend back at the end of the 90s.

If labels genuinely did pass on MOTM then frankly there's nothing else Geri can do to change their minds, because imo the album quality speaks for itself. My only hope now is that she has it in her to do another album and is inspired by the reception of Steps and All Saints to get the album out there.

Steps went to #2 on the charts with less than 40,000 albums sold. In their second week they sold around 15,000 albums and are at #4. Surely Geri could promote enough to sell 15,000 albums for a top ten album? It amazes me Mel C can't get those sort of sales actually and break into the top 10.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 06 May 2017, 18:04

I also think MOTM is quite a solid record... even if it needed a little polishing. But it's got a nice positive feeling and it's pure pop... Something I haven't found either for a long time...
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 07 May 2017, 22:36

I hope she does more uptempo tracks and go back to her roots I really enjoyed MOTM but it's missing that good uptempo tracks :music:
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 08 May 2017, 14:06

I think they need to pitch MotM as an "adult contemporary" album (Celine Deion, Sarah Brightman, etc) rather than a pop album.
tommie

Postby tommie » 09 May 2017, 11:25

SpiceWonderland wrote:I think they need to pitch MotM as an "adult contemporary" album (Celine Deion, Sarah Brightman, etc) rather than a pop album.

Yep. Pitch it to the Radio 2 audience - that's where Geri is most likely going to get airplay. It won't get a hit single, but a decently selling album isn't off the cards.

With that said - as nice as Man on the Mountain is, it doesn't have a single track that screams "single!!!". She needs to find that first single and then put her album together.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 09 May 2017, 13:06

^Really, you think so? In my opinion "Love and Light" and especially "Humanity" are very much single-material. I also think a "Man on the Mountain" would do well, and a double A single of "Get Involved" / "Without Love".

Return to “Geri Halliwell”