Geri has a new publicist - music coming?

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Re: Geri has a new publicist - music coming?

Postby Javi » 03 Sep 2015, 23:43

Sideout wrote:Hopefully, we would get Geri's version of Supernatural, Dare You To Be Happy & Sweetest Pain.

Where do those songs come from?
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 04 Sep 2015, 00:09

IER wrote:
Sideout wrote:Hopefully, we would get Geri's version of Supernatural, Dare You To Be Happy & Sweetest Pain.

Where do those songs come from?

Geri didn't use them so they were given to other artists. Supernatural is from Schizophonic or SIYWGF. Dare You To Be Happy is from SIYWGF. Sweetest Pain is from early Passion sessions or a leftover from SIYWGF. The song was on the Raising Helen soundtrack. That movie was released in May 2004.
"Don't you break my heart. It's so plain to see that you should PM me.
Don't you break my heart. If these leaks should end I will never post again"
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 04 Sep 2015, 00:42

Can we imagine having this little gem in CD quality :D
mattykoo

Postby mattykoo » 04 Sep 2015, 04:28

tiagohm wrote:We... who? :confused:

My record label.

Agent_Spice wrote:How interesting. I understand her position - of course. I don't want anything to detract from her new album; however, I am extremely tempted by a four CD (and DVD!) package. I wonder if she would object to a reissue for a later release.

I'm curious whether the box set would be limited to the Schizophonic era (demos, remixes, instrumentals, unreleased tracks?), whether it would include the other eras, or whether the Box Set would consist of her 3 albums and a bonus disc. I only ask because I was under the impression that Geri didn't have any unreleased tracks from the Schizophonic era (which is why we got so many covers as b-sides and why Look at Me didn't have one). Given the fact that such boxsets really only apply to hardcore fans and not the casual listener, I question whether it would really draw attention away from her new album (since the loyal fans would likely buy both).

I do think if EMI wanted to press the issue, they could always throw out a Greatest Hits boxset and just include the material. If they're not going to sign or distribute Geri's new material, it's not like either side has anything to lose from such a release. And as it's been 10 years (not including Half of Me) since an official release, fans would appreciate the opportunity to purchase both a new album and a boxset.

The proposal was the original album + b-sides on disc one, with three bonus discs of remixes, most of which were vinyl- and/or promo-only. The DVD would have (preferably) included her four music videos, the remix video and her TOTP appearances.

PeruvianSpice wrote:I wonder what prompted EMI to reléase (or think about re-releasing) Schizophonic

It wasn't EMI. We approached Rhino, who controls the Parlophone/Chrysalis catalog, who gave us initial approval. As I said in my original post, Geri exercised her veto option, meaning that if we wanted to reissue the album, it would have to adhere to the original 1999 issue.
ForeverSpiceBoy
Location: Make it loud, 'cos the world is my dance floor! (Mexican living in Chile)

Postby ForeverSpiceBoy » 04 Sep 2015, 14:53

What's the name of your record label?
MAD

Postby MAD » 04 Sep 2015, 15:46

Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 04 Sep 2015, 17:15

Why would she want to re release an album with TOTP performances? And 3 cds of remixes? It's no wonder she said no
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 04 Sep 2015, 17:21

Samuel-Bennett wrote:Why would she want to re release an album with TOTP performances? And 3 cds of remixes? It's no wonder she said no

Erm money
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
mattykoo

Postby mattykoo » 04 Sep 2015, 17:58

Samuel-Bennett wrote:Why would she want to re release an album with TOTP performances? And 3 cds of remixes? It's no wonder she said no

Because many of those remixes have never been commercially released and have only appeared on vinyl. As for the performances, why not? BBC material is inexpensive to license.
do-it

Postby do-it » 04 Sep 2015, 19:25

Interesting info from mattykoo. I wonder if Geri would have approved a reissue if a new album wasn't imminent. Some artists are funny about that even when they have no new material coming out.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 04 Sep 2015, 19:28

mattykoo wrote:

Because many of those remixes have never been commercially released and have only appeared on vinyl. As for the performances, why not? BBC material is inexpensive to license.

So no unreleased songs then? :sad:
Halli

Postby Halli » 04 Sep 2015, 19:54

She's not credited as a writer to Dare You To Be Happy on Wikipedia, its says Tina Arena co-wrote it with Peter John Vetese?
my twitter: jamesyaaron85
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 04 Sep 2015, 21:01

Thanks for the info

I thought there would be at least a few unreleased tracks from "Schizophonic" era
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 04 Sep 2015, 21:05

I doubt there will be many from this era either xx
RCB84

Postby RCB84 » 04 Sep 2015, 22:26

schizophonic_spice wrote:

That "little gem" is a song from the 80s

[youtube=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg[/youtube]
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 04 Sep 2015, 22:35

Halli wrote:She's not credited as a writer to Dare You To Be Happy on Wikipedia, its says Tina Arena co-wrote it with Peter John Vetese?

She is credited as a writer on the song on EMI Publishing.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 04 Sep 2015, 23:06

RCB84 wrote:
schizophonic_spice wrote:

That "little gem" is a song from the 80s

[youtube=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg[/youtube]

I was aware of that :p
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 05 Sep 2015, 00:09

Sideout wrote:
Halli wrote:She's not credited as a writer to Dare You To Be Happy on Wikipedia, its says Tina Arena co-wrote it with Peter John Vetese?

Maybe they changed the lyrics Geri wrote. Melanie c wrote 'Follow Me' with Bryan Adams, but when Do released it, Melanie wasn't on the credits and the song indeed had some changes. I guess when artists write songs, they have a way to mark what parts are written by each person, so they can rework the song without giving that person credit?
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 05 Sep 2015, 00:55

IER wrote:
Sideout wrote:

Maybe they changed the lyrics Geri wrote. Melanie c wrote 'Follow Me' with Bryan Adams, but when Do released it, Melanie wasn't on the credits and the song indeed had some changes. I guess when artists write songs, they have a way to mark what parts are written by each person, so they can rework the song without giving that person credit?

Most of the time songwriters will agree to split the royalties evenly no matter if one person contributed more to the song. Songwriters normally agree to that before they even begin writing. This is so there is no he said, she said when it comes to collecting royalties. For example, we know Geri contributed the most when it came to writing the Spice Girls songs, yet the group decided from day one to split the royalties evenly between each other. That way no one in the group gets jealous over one member making more money.

Creating the vocal arrangement of the song is also classified as part of the songwriting process. It could be the lyrics to those songs were solely written by Peter Vettese (Dare You To Be Happy) & Bryan Adams (Follow Me). Melanie C & Geri only contributed to the vocal arrangement of the song. When the songs were given to other artists Vettese & Adams changed the vocal arrangement which would erase Geri & Melanie C's songwriting credit.
mattykoo

Postby mattykoo » 05 Sep 2015, 02:09

Sideout wrote:So no unreleased songs then? :sad:

Had she approved of what we had wanted to do, we would have pushed for ANY unreleased material, even demos of released songs.

DoIt wrote:Interesting info from mattykoo. I wonder if Geri would have approved a reissue if a new album wasn't imminent. Some artists are funny about that even when they have no new material coming out.

Geri's not the first artist to turn us down because of new material on the horizon; Dannii did as well. A couple of older artists, however, have come on board with some potential releases in the first quarter of 2016 that I will be very excited to announce.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 05 Sep 2015, 02:52

mattykoo wrote:Had she approved of what we had wanted to do, we would have pushed for ANY unreleased material, even demos of released songs.

Do you have a list of the unreleased songs you would have included if she would have agreed to the reissue? ;)
Agent_Spice
Custom Title: Escrow Spice

Postby Agent_Spice » 05 Sep 2015, 04:58

Well we know there's at least an alternate version of You're in a Bubble with the Hello and OK Magazine references in the Middle 8. That would be nice to have readily available.

Obviously, I'd love nothing more than a comprehensive boxset of unreleased tracks, alternate versions, and rare remixes. But having spent hundreds of dollars over the years on promos to get those rare remixes on CD, I would be thrilled with the current proposal which includes the music videos (and remix versions) on DVD which is something that has previously been promo only. I realize that the project might not appeal to every fan and/or a mainstream audience, but it would make this fan very happy. And Spice fans are known for purchasing physical formats - we persuaded an independent label to issue a physical single.

I hope Geri gets the album out and authorizes the release of the boxset and that Mattykoo and his label persist in getting it out. It would be nice to know there's a fan behind this effort and that it succeeded. It would set a great precedent that will hopefully encourage the other girls to follow suit.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 05 Sep 2015, 05:10

Maybe after her album you could try and release it again? Did she give a tentative date when she might release her 4th album?

I'd love unreleased material
Melancholie

Postby Melancholie » 05 Sep 2015, 16:13

I'm sure it'll be easier just to ask Victoria for permission to release all the stuff she recorded for Virgin from 1999 til they split.

So many small record labels do those re-releases these days. Even LaToya Jackson gets brand new re-re-re-releases (the labels must be selling the license for a penny) targeted to the 10 fans she has.
NearlyCivilized
Custom Title: vegans do it better

Postby NearlyCivilized » 05 Sep 2015, 18:24

The proposed Schizophonic box set definitely interests me. I know 3 cd's of remixes doesn't appeal to everyone, but I for one am constantly searching eBay & such for promos to get my hands on promo-only remixes.
This release sounds similar to the one Garbage is releasing with their debut album. It's the original album remastered, b-sides, tons of remixes and demos. Hopefully Mattykoo has some luck with the release in the future… I'd buy it!
@jonnyrecord #horror

Return to “Geri Halliwell”