Scream If You Wanna Go Faster

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
RobKelly666

Scream If You Wanna Go Faster

Postby RobKelly666 » 21 Feb 2017, 20:09

I always think the 2nd album Scream If You Wanna Go Faster was overshadowed by the cover version It's Raining Men and its successes. I think Geri stated in her 2nd autobiography that she felt the single overshadowed the albums actual release. I was wondering what others thoughts would be about this as a topic of discussion? I think she should definitely have still gone ahead with the release of Its Rainung Men - it was a huge success - but included it more as a bonus track and I feel her releases should have gone a bit like this;

- Its Raining Men released in May 2001 but not to launch the album. A soundtrack release to promote the Bridget Jones movie and re-introduce Geri to the pop world!

- September 2001 a publicity campaign announcing the comeback of Geri with the leading single for her new album. The leading single would be Love Never Loved Me.

The album Scream If You Wanna Go Faster could then follow 2 weeks later in late September with the promotional campaign of Geri returns with her 2nd solo album release which include the number 1 hit and soundtrack to Bridget Jones Its Raining Men and recent release, the love anthem Love Never Loved Me.

The quiet week in late December / early January (not the Xmas week) I would have released Calling. I think this would have guaranteed a better chart position as these weeks are usually quieter, the fan base would have bought it and it does have a nice wintry feel as a single.

Then Feels Like Sex in late March. I think a performance at The Brits could have been on the cards if the releases followed this formula! She could have outdone her raunchy Bag It Up performance with Feels Like Sex!

If the above released had proven successes, a consideration could then be made which would really be a fifth single release. I would say to close it with Scream If You Wanna Go Faster in July to coincide with a summer arena tour.

Apologies if this topic has been done before - sure I will be more than told if so! Hindsight though is of course a wonderful thing and everything happens for a reason!
RobKelly666

Re: Scream If You Wanna Go Faster

Postby RobKelly666 » 21 Feb 2017, 20:34

RobKelly666 wrote:I always think the 2nd album Scream If You Wanna Go Faster was overshadowed by the cover version It's Raining Men and its successes. I think Geri stated in her 2nd autobiography that she felt the single overshadowed the albums actual release. I was wondering what others thoughts would be about this as a topic of discussion? I think she should definitely have still gone ahead with the release of Its Rainung Men - it was a huge success - but included it more as a bonus track and I feel her releases should have gone a bit like this;

- Its Raining Men released in May 2001 but not to launch the album. A soundtrack release to promote the Bridget Jones movie and re-introduce Geri to the pop world!

- September 2001 a publicity campaign announcing the comeback of Geri with the leading single for her new album. The leading single would be Feels Like Sex.

The album Scream If You Wanna Go Faster could then follow 2 weeks later in late September with the promotional campaign of Geri returns with her 2nd solo album release which include the number 1 hit and soundtrack to Bridget Jones Its Raining Men and recent release, the love anthem Feels Like Sex.

The quiet week in late December / early January (not the Xmas week) I would have released Calling. I think this would have guaranteed a better chart position as these weeks are usually quieter, the fan base would have bought it and it does have a nice wintry feel as a single.

Then Scream If You Wanna Go Faster in late March. I think a performance at The Brits could have been on the cards if the releases followed this formula! She could have outdone her raunchy Bag It Up performance with a mash up of Scream If You Wanna ago Faster / Feels Like Sex!

If the above released had proven successes, a consideration could then be made which would really be a fifth single release. I would say to close it with Circles around The Moon in July to coincide with a summer arena tour.

Apologies if this topic has been done before - sure I will be more than told if so! Hindsight though is of course a wonderful thing and everything happens for a reason!
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 21 Feb 2017, 20:34

Realised Love Never Loved me was from the 3rd album after I posted!
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 21 Feb 2017, 20:39

I also think she should've gone with another single before releasing the album...

And for me she should've gone with a campy single not "Scream..."... sadly no song on the album had the campness to follow it up... maybe "Set Me Off" a bit
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 21 Feb 2017, 20:42

PeruvianSpice wrote:I also think she should've gone with another single before releasing the album...

And for me she should've gone with a campy single not "Scream..."... sadly no song on the album had the campness to follow it up... maybe "Set Me Off" a bit

Shake Your Bootie Cutie could have worked?
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 21 Feb 2017, 20:55

RobKelly666 wrote:
PeruvianSpice wrote:I also think she should've gone with another single before releasing the album...

Shake Your Bootie Cutie could have worked?

Hmm I know it's camp but, for me, it's a crap song. It's all over the place...
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 21 Feb 2017, 21:09

And whilst I got the original topic wrong, I think her releases from Passion could have been done differently too. Maybe as follows;

- Ride It as a teaser release for Geri's comeback to pop.

- Love Never Loved Me as the lead single prior to the albums actual release.

- Passion the album released.

- Desire released following the album - I still like this as a release.

- So I Give Up On Love - maybe - something a bit different and can't think of anything else that sticks out as a release?
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 21 Feb 2017, 21:34

We'll never know how that era would have panned out without It's Raining Men as lead single. Personally I love Geri's cover of IRM but it annoys me also that her signature hit is a cover especially as she's such a talented songwriter.

It certainly would've been interesting to see how Feels Like Sex would've been received as original planned lead but I have a feeling it would've been too taboo in content for her main audience of that time and may well have underperformed. We'll never know.

It's Raining Men definitely overshadowed the entire era though there's no doubt about that. The album did have the highest first week sales of any solo spice girl album though so the interest was certainly there at first.
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 21 Feb 2017, 22:07

schizophonic_spice wrote:We'll never know how that era would have panned out without It's Raining Men as lead single. Personally I love Geri's cover of IRM but it annoys me also that her signature hit is a cover especially as she's such a talented songwriter.

It certainly would've been interesting to see how Feels Like Sex would've been received as original planned lead but I have a feeling it would've been too taboo in content for her main audience of that time and may well have underperformed. We'll never know.

It's Raining Men definitely overshadowed the entire era though there's no doubt about that. The album did have the highest first week sales of any solo spice girl album though so the interest was certainly there at first.

I see what you mean about Feels Like Sex. The controversy it may have cause may have given it more attention though. For example, It Wasn't Me which was released the same year was quite controversial in parts? We will never know of course. All we do know is how huge Its Raining Men was but how the other singles didn't sell as well? Even though they were good imo . . .
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 21 Feb 2017, 22:24

I never thought she picked the right singles

I mean, people knew her for her campy songs... but "Scream..." isn't campy (the video is though) it's just a rock-y song and "Calling" was too serious for her
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 21 Feb 2017, 22:28

PeruvianSpice wrote:I never thought she picked the right singles

I mean, people knew her for her campy songs... but "Scream..." isn't campy (the video is though) it's just a rock-y song and "Calling" was too serious for her

I guess Scream had a more rocky edge than her other stuff. Calling did really well in some countries though didn't it? Circles around the moon seemed a more obvious choice perhaps?
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 21 Feb 2017, 23:25

I actually think "Circles" is in the same vein as "Lift Me Up" which is cool and campy. But still, after "It's Raining Men", something more uptempo should've followed

I adore "Circles" and its remixes
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 22 Feb 2017, 00:35

I think IRM saved this album. I don't see Feels Like Sex going higher than top10.
MAD

Postby MAD » 24 Feb 2017, 15:11

I agree that IRM saved this album. Since 2001 until now I've always thought that SIYWGF has some great songs but none of them is a hit, at least in the released version. I wish Geri experimented more for her second album, she already made 2 spice albums and her first solo with the same sound. The only reason to release SIYWGF at the end of 2001 was the chance to include Breaking glass and Destiny that in my opinion are her best songs of that era (Brave new world too).
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 25 Feb 2017, 01:07

She should've shifted more toward the dance route "Destiny", "Brave New World"...
Sergiospice
Custom Title: El chico latino

Postby Sergiospice » 25 Feb 2017, 15:39

Set me Off belongs to the Passion era.

I agree with what some of you said: though there were many good tracks on the album, neither of them would've had the impact that IRM had. I guess the second and third singles were excellent choices, though it is unclear to me why they didn't work perfectly - though they can still be considered minor hits.
A last single could've been H&H (BGH). I imagine it having a video shot in a circus
Samuel-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Samuel-Bennett » 27 Feb 2017, 02:10

Melanie C said Reason was probably her worst album with some of her best songs on. I think it's the same for SIYWGF. There are some really good songs on the album. Overall though I've never thought it was that good as an album. It's really no surprise it didn't so as well as Schizophonic
Trace Adam

Postby Trace Adam » 27 Feb 2017, 05:26

SIYWGF overall is just a really weak album with tons of filler.
All of its b-sides are better than most of the album tracks. If you were to take the decent songs and add the b-sides you'd have a relatively solid 10-track album. Not as good as Scizophonic, but better than what was released.

I also don't think it was a good move including Feels Like Sex on the album at all. Remember that a large amount of her fanbase at the time still consisted of kids. I'm sure that lost her some sales.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 27 Feb 2017, 09:45

The album might be overshadowed by "It's Raining Men" but it's far from a bad album. Production and sound-wise its way better than "Schizophonic" - that really sounds like an album made in 1998. Very basic. Not many chances were taken. Kind of like Spice Girls' "Forever" did a few years later.

"Scream If You Wanna Go Faster" always felt happier and more curious/experimental than "Schizophonic" in my opinion (anyone saying "Scream If You Wanna Go Faster" is not experimental to be Geri needs to read her book again). It might not have the same amount of tracks with deep/personal lyrics, but to me Geri clearly found inspiration from George Michael's debut album "Faith".

It also might be cheesy and camp, but it doesn't present itself to be anything else (just look at the cover!), the ballads are awesome (did you listen to "Love Is The Only Light" and "Calling"?). Personally my favourite Geri-single is "Scream If You Wanna Go Faster". It's pop clearly inspired by rock, it's fun, it's catchy, the video is awesome (doesn't matter who stole who's idea, Geri did it better), I could go on and on.

Content is not the reason why this album underperformed. Music changed a lot at this point, and everything about it. The early 2000's had shit music written all over it. This is one of the albums that saved it for me. Geri was too much in the media. Too much in the press. The same way she managed to sell "Schizophonic" she tried to sell "Scream If You Wanna Go Faster" and it didn't help. People were fed up with her. She was over-exposed.
menime123

Postby menime123 » 27 Feb 2017, 12:23

Whilst I agree IRM 'saved' the era, IRM did not make the album. Take IRM away and I think you still have a pretty decent album actually and if Geri wasn't so against achieving anything other than a #1 single, this era could have lasted a while longer.

I still think the obvious singles were:

1. Feels Like Sex
2. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster*
3. Circles Around The Moon
4. Strength of a Woman

Geri would have pulled the stops out for FLS as lead single - the video I think would have been controversial and garnered quite a bit of attention. It just bugs me that if that was lead single up until the last minute, that it never got released.

*Scream is missing a second verse before each bridge. It might have been a better song with a little more content.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 27 Feb 2017, 15:07

Geri wanted to release "Circles Round The Moon" as the 4th single, remixes were made and it was ready to go, when EMI/Chrysalis told her that if it didn't do better than the two previous singles her contract was over.

So Geri decided not to risk her 3rd album just to push a 4th single. That way we got Passion.

Granted, EMI called her back to the UK in late 2003/early 2004 and ushered her to make the record even though she didn't really want to, but at least we still got a 3rd album (and a 4th).
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 27 Feb 2017, 18:05

How do we know she didn't wanna make a 3rd album?

It seems like it though...
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 27 Feb 2017, 18:30

Geri said in a radio interview in late 2003 that she was "approached by EMI to start working on a new album" (this was prior to her UK-return).

Her manager in LA later revealed that Geri really didn't want to go back to London to make a new album. Judging the state of mind Geri was in, I have no problem believing it.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 27 Feb 2017, 19:08

Oh, yeah seems possible

Geri wasn't really into it.

It has GREAT songs but others a bit too odd
menime123

Postby menime123 » 27 Feb 2017, 23:53

Andreas wrote:Geri wanted to release "Circles Round The Moon" as the 4th single, remixes were made and it was ready to go, when EMI/Chrysalis told her that if it didn't do better than the two previous singles her contract was over.

So Geri decided not to risk her 3rd album just to push a 4th single. That way we got Passion.

Granted, EMI called her back to the UK in late 2003/early 2004 and ushered her to make the record even though she didn't really want to, but at least we still got a 3rd album (and a 4th).

That's really interesting, if not a little odd: why would EMI allow Geri to cancel a single (with very little cost) in order to ensure she makes a 3rd album down the line, which is a more expensive enterprise?

I know the album didn't sell buckets, but the 3 singles went top 10 (including a #1) and the album went to #5 - not at all shabby for 2001.

Return to “Geri Halliwell”