Chart Updates Topic - iTunes, Spotify etc.

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Re: Chart Updates Topic - iTunes, Spotify etc.

Postby Official Spiceworld » 26 Jun 2017, 22:00

Angels in Chains - #101
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
Kevsie

Postby Kevsie » 26 Jun 2017, 22:12

ilovepollo
Previous username(s): Josesainz19, Josealcazar87

Postby ilovepollo » 27 Jun 2017, 00:27

Has the song entered in any official chart?
I was looking for it in the official charts of UK and I can't find it.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 27 Jun 2017, 02:39

Jay wrote:The UK chart is set to have a rule change, starting from the chart of 7th July: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.ph ... &p=5745676

It's all rather complicated stuff about data manipulation, but I think the main thing to take from it is that it'll benefit new releases. I reckon Geri would have stood a greater chance of charting under these conditions, so it's a shame the new rules are being introduced a little too late.

As long as they benefit the girls

I just wish streaming wasn't part of the official charts
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 27 Jun 2017, 03:07

Only rising to 99 is very disappointing given she just had a pretty big tv slot performance that is like 35 extra sales.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Halli

Postby Halli » 27 Jun 2017, 10:58

Yeah really disappointing The One show hardly seems to have helped. It's not in the iTunes top 100 this morning, is it?
my twitter: jamesyaaron85
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 27 Jun 2017, 11:21

Down to #109 on iTunes.

'Angels in Chains' didn't enter the official UK Top 200 chart unfortunately. :(

Streaming really let her down, inevitably. Her team should have let her stick to Friday, and arranged for her to be included in Spotify's New Music Friday playlist. That's really the only way she'd have managed to enter the official chart.

The annoying thing is that there's a lot of new entries in the official Top 200 chart that didn't even make it into the Top 100 sales-only chart (which Geri did, she got to #65 in this chart), but those new entries had strong enough streaming to manage to chart overall.
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 27 Jun 2017, 23:55

Don't forget The One Show is on at the same time at Emmerdale. I bet the viewing figures are a lot less. Not saying no one watches though cuz it's been on a long time now so yeah it's still really disappointing
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 27 Jun 2017, 23:57

I still stand by what I said in the beginning though. It's not an instant like song. It needs a lot of listens to like it. I love it now. Non fans won't give it the chance. They'll hear it once... Not like it then next time it comes on they'll turn it off
Amaranthine18

Postby Amaranthine18 » 28 Jun 2017, 04:31

I just hope she won't be brokenhearted and will still release her new album.
Fulvio84

Postby Fulvio84 » 28 Jun 2017, 09:14

this is not goin to be a huge hit but I Think she can feel a lot of support from us and even from the press, no one is attacking her as for Half of me, so she is gettin confidence to come back100%.
I am sure this single is really just to bring her back , next step will be much more interesting, I am not gonna loose faith, I know she can get back a music career and she understood the limitation of being a solo spice in 2017.
WHAT DOESN'T KILL ME IS MAKING ME STRONG!
upload immagini gratis
http://fulvio84.deviantart.com/
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 28 Jun 2017, 10:54

Well it was as safe as a safe release can get. She was never really going to get 'attacked' over doing a song for George or charity.

This is what kind of bugs me about this release, it is so safe and boring. The type of song and reason were never going to lead to some club banging remixes and of course no interesting or expensive video. It is like Geri needed something where there was no real risk and was safe which is like the opposite of what she was as an artist.

Also to waste the promo she has got on such a damp squib of a song too.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 28 Jun 2017, 13:06

I think the problem with the song is that it's highly unrelatable to unless you're a George Michael fan or his family. It's not one of those charity/tribute songs (like Candle In The Wind) that are aimed at a person but are "generic" enough for people to interprete them in their own way and relate them to their own lives, etc. This one is about George Michael and nothing else. And it's not such a great song that makes you love it even if you can't relate to its lyrics.

Even if Adele released this song, it wouldn't be a big hit cause even her fans wouldn't play it that much.

Imo, she should've went for something more in the vibe of Someone's Watching Over Me. That song felt just as sincere and emotional but the lyrics are a little more relatable to because they're not that specific (except for the "I'll always be my daddy's girl" and still girls who lost their father could relate to it). Or something along the lines of Goodbye, which was a song about Geri but it could be related to anyone really. I think Geri shut a lot of doors when she made AIC such a representative song of George Michael and only him. As a tribute it was great, but when it comes to being a song to collect money for charity it was a bad choice.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
JubileeRoad
Custom Title: SUPERfan

Postby JubileeRoad » 28 Jun 2017, 13:20

sammy01 wrote:Also to waste the promo she has got on such a damp squib of a song too.

I think she can get a lot of promo off her own name but I bet people have been interested and given it a shot because IT IS about George Michael. It's not just another single she's releasing. You know?
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 28 Jun 2017, 15:02

JubileeRoad wrote:
sammy01 wrote:Also to waste the promo she has got on such a damp squib of a song too.

I think she can get a lot of promo off her own name but I bet people have been interested and given it a shot because IT IS about George Michael. It's not just another single she's releasing. You know?

I think given it is her first UK release in 12 years she would have nabbed these promo slots anyway (with the help of her good manager), the next song she releases if she does release one I'm not so sure she will get much promo or press. She has essentially 'wasted' the big 'Geri comeback single' on this song.

I really feel it should have been an album track she could have talked about in interviews about it being for/about George and dedicated it to him in the album notes.
Kevsie

Postby Kevsie » 28 Jun 2017, 15:12

#94 on iTunes
Halli

Postby Halli » 28 Jun 2017, 15:33

What this song needs to catch on a little bit is AIRPLAY - I am surprised Radio 2 didn't add it last week.
my twitter: jamesyaaron85
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 28 Jun 2017, 16:13

Javi wrote:I think the problem with the song is that it's highly unrelatable to unless you're a George Michael fan or his family. It's not one of those charity/tribute songs (like Candle In The Wind) that are aimed at a person but are "generic" enough for people to interprete them in their own way and relate them to their own lives, etc. This one is about George Michael and nothing else. And it's not such a great song that makes you love it even if you can't relate to its lyrics.

Even if Adele released this song, it wouldn't be a big hit cause even her fans wouldn't play it that much.

Imo, she should've went for something more in the vibe of Someone's Watching Over Me. That song felt just as sincere and emotional but the lyrics are a little more relatable to because they're not that specific (except for the "I'll always be my daddy's girl" and still girls who lost their father could relate to it). Or something along the lines of Goodbye, which was a song about Geri but it could be related to anyone really. I think Geri shut a lot of doors when she made AIC such a representative song of George Michael and only him. As a tribute it was great, but when it comes to being a song to collect money for charity it was a bad choice.

I said the same thing not in the same words the first day. She probably thought "it's charity so people will want to support that" "it's George Michael so people will care" but George was like Madonna the past 7-8 years. He couldn't chart with new music but had sold out tours.

Plus the blade runner lyrics which the spice girls used on who do you think you are and viva forever to me proved that she lost her inspiration. Like I said before, it's catchy but lame.
1000 monks. 1000 religions.
gay4geri
Custom Title: JUST SO GAY 4 GERI

Postby gay4geri » 28 Jun 2017, 22:18

Maybe it's time to dust those hot pants off??? I'll always support her no matter what though, all us real fans will. :music:
Spengler

Postby Spengler » 28 Jun 2017, 22:38

It's #91 today on the digital sales chart for the U.K., sold 100 copies.
wally_br

Postby wally_br » 30 Jun 2017, 21:36

Very embarrasing it only did better than Dear Life and Hold On at the moment.

40 CAROLYNA MELANIE C 49 2007
41 ALL I NEED TO KNOW EMMA BUNTON 60 2007
42 THINK ABOUT IT MELANIE C 95 2011
43 I KNOW HIM SO WELL MELANIE C FT. EMMA BUNTON N/A 2012
44 ANYMORE MELANIE C N/A 2016
45 TODAY MELANIE BROWN 41 2005
46 THIS TIME MELANIE C 94 2007
47 FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE MELANIE B N/A 2013
48 WEAK MELANIE C N/A 2011
49 ANGELS IN CHAINS GERI HALLIWELL N/A 2017
50 DEAR LIFE MELANIE C N/A 2016
51 HOLD ON MELANIE C FT. ALEX FRANCIS N/A 2017
Source: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... s-__19520/
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 01 Jul 2017, 07:11

Yeah, it's sad but I guess we were prepared for it.

It's not like a comeback for her, it's more like a new artista starting new and that song is not exactly what's current nowadays. Nice, yes, but not current.
King

Postby King » 01 Jul 2017, 11:26

Jay wrote:Down to #109 on iTunes.

'Angels in Chains' didn't enter the official UK Top 200 chart unfortunately. :(

Streaming really let her down, inevitably. Her team should have let her stick to Friday, and arranged for her to be included in Spotify's New Music Friday playlist. That's really the only way she'd have managed to enter the official chart.

The annoying thing is that there's a lot of new entries in the official Top 200 chart that didn't even make it into the Top 100 sales-only chart (which Geri did, she got to #65 in this chart), but those new entries had strong enough streaming to manage to chart overall.

I don't get streaming at all. Is it free or people pay for it? If they pay then i guess it should count as artists have some money out of it too.
King

Postby King » 01 Jul 2017, 11:39

PeruvianSpice wrote:
Jay wrote:The UK chart is set to have a rule change, starting from the chart of 7th July: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.ph ... &p=5745676

It's all rather complicated stuff about data manipulation, but I think the main thing to take from it is that it'll benefit new releases. I reckon Geri would have stood a greater chance of charting under these conditions, so it's a shame the new rules are being introduced a little too late.

As long as they benefit the girls

I just wish streaming wasn't part of the official charts

This new rule is pretty stupid. If they want a SINGLES chart, then only officially released singles can chart, and they should count only what people pay, not YT views and such shit. Album songs shouldn't be eligable to chart no matter how much they sell.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 01 Jul 2017, 17:53

King wrote:I don't get streaming at all. Is it free or people pay for it? If they pay then i guess it should count as artists have some money out of it too.

Streaming data counts whether you subscribe to the streaming service or if you're listening for free! When it comes to Spotify, if you're a free user then you hear adverts after every few songs listened to, and it's the adverts that generates money for Spotify, who then give a cut to the artists/labels. So either way, money is made.

What I don't particularly like about the influence of streaming on the charts is this: a lot of listeners simply stream songs which feature on the most popular playlists, curated by Spotify. A lot of people don't search songs out specifically, they'll just passively let a playlist play. It only takes listening to the first 30 seconds of a song for it to count - so if you end up disliking a song but haven't skipped in time, you've contributed to its sales. Plus a lot of businesses use Spotify for offices/shopping centres, so they're contributing to the charts even though it's just background noise.

It's widely believed that labels have to pay for their songs to feature in prominent playlists (and for a good position within that playlist). So essentially the label is paying for additional exposure to ensure people listen to it, to make it into a hit.

All in all, streaming feels a lot less "genuine" than people choosing to part with money for a song by downloading it.

So really... if Geri's label had been very committed to wanting Angels in Chains to chart, they'd have tried to ensure she had great visibility on popular playlists. However doing this would probably have negated the money that was raised from downloads, so perhaps they didn't see the point.

Having said that, I've noticed that it's currently included on these playlists: 'Aktuellt' (27k followers - Sweden, 66th song in 69) & 'KOFFIETIJD' (14k followers - Netherlands, 25th song in 100). Don't think it's included on any major UK playlists though.

Return to “Geri Halliwell”