G-A-Y Gig on June 24th

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
Kareem

Re: G-A-Y Gig on June 24th

Postby Kareem » 25 Jun 2017, 23:16

Andreas wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Whatever happened to this Geri. It's raining men was a disaster . Look at me was even worse . If she enjoys singing ballads so much someone needs to tell her she is no Adele and that's not what she is famous for.

Uhm, maybe because she's 16 years older now? Back then she was 1 year short of 30, now she's 5 years short of 50? :dizzy:

Already in 1998 she was very clear that she never wanted to be like Madonna or Cher when she got older.

Not an excuse , she used to own the stage , she was confident , with a big charismatic personality. Age is not an excuse. Kylie Minogue is older than her and she still owns it. Geri wants to be. Serious singer but she is aiming for something outside her capabilities, I feel bad for her and us as fans to witness this.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 25 Jun 2017, 23:41

Why not give her the benefit of the doubt and let her grow a little more confident before judging her too hard? Maybe once she sees that she can actually do this she will want to be Showgirl-Geri again? Perhaps just maybe she feels she failed with her previous pop songs (Desire, Passion, Half of Me) that made her insecure and reluctant to step back into that popgirl-box?

Cause seriously, it's not her job to meet your expectations on how she's supposed to be, or not supposed to be.

I don't know what it is with Spice Girls fans that expect everything to stay the way it was 15-20 years ago, instead of dropping the delusion that nobody stays the same and everything is in a constant, ever changing process and just because she was jumping around and lip-syncing 15+ years ago doesn't mean she signed up to do that for life.

And no one is obliged to like her or buy her music... Don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 25 Jun 2017, 23:48

When did Geri say she wanted to be like Kylie? Cause Geri is not Kylie and Kylie is not Geri.

And to be perfectly honest, Kylie's last album was weak and predictable. Just like the tour that accompanied the album.

Try not to have too many expectations in life. It's never other people's job to live up to them. Expectation leads to disappointment and disappointment leads to resentment.
Kareem

Postby Kareem » 26 Jun 2017, 00:01

You clearly did not understand my point. Geri is famous for her pop upbeat pop songs . She can evolve as an artist by keeping her substance as a base and work around it. what we are seeing here is not an evolution, it's someone with limited vocal capabilities trying hard to prove that she can bypass her vocal range and clearly failing. Someone who thinks if she'd rather proof that she can sing than have a strong presence on stage, not to mention trying to distance herself from her past success ..
She associates bag it up to hot pants era , and she clearly didn't want to sing it's raining me. 'You guys would kill me if I don't sing this'. All artists have pride in their old hits even when they are in their 50s . I understand she was nervous but she also did not give it any efforts , her performance had no energy, its sad.
Kevsie

Postby Kevsie » 26 Jun 2017, 00:28

Oh DenDen

When she doesn't do music, she's lazy and a bitch

When she does, she's crap and can't do anything right

She was brilliant. She needs to grow in confidence again, so what?
faster84

Postby faster84 » 26 Jun 2017, 00:38

She was very nervous at the very beginning with look at me (you can hear it was not very good) but she got warmed up with our love, she relaxed and she gave me goosebumps with Freedom. She was so so so sweet and genuine and I appreciated the courage she had to come back and share this song with us.

Those are my videos, enjoy

Last edited by faster84 on 26 Jun 2017, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
faster84

Postby faster84 » 26 Jun 2017, 00:39

Kevsie wrote:Oh DenDen

I completely agree!
Peter

Postby Peter » 26 Jun 2017, 00:42

faster84 wrote:She was very nervous at the very beginning with look at me (you can hear it was not very good) but she got warmed up with our love, she relaxed and she gave me goosebumps with Freedom. She was so so so sweet and genuine and I appreciated the courage she had to come back and share this song with us.

[youtube=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pkc6RYR-lY[/youtube]

[youtube=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWR1B2eOhTw[/youtube]

[youtube=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbvU1DZ_25k[/youtube]

[youtube=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK7_qnUwFtc[/youtube]

After the = you need to put what actually appears in your link after =.
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 26 Jun 2017, 00:48

I just watched Angel in Chains again and I truly think this is the most genuine, affecting and sincere performance of anything by any of the SG ever. The intro was lovely and self effacing. She meant every word of what she sang and directed all of her sentiments towards George and the band. No hint ambition or wanting more, just living for that performance moment. Isn't that what it's supposed to be about? I think she's now 'got it' - she has really got what the performance thing is all about. It may have been messy and unpolished, but she has got a deeper understanding somehow.
-Claudia-

Postby -Claudia- » 26 Jun 2017, 00:50

I like Geri singing with a band behind her, I think that suits her. She was clearly nervous though and she'll only improve the more shows she does. Hopefully the reaction she had will give her the confidence to do more at some point.

Also - do we think maybe she downplayed it all a bit because this slot was predominantly for performing Angels In Chains and because it would've been George's birthday today? :shrug:. Out of all the songs she did, I thought Angels In Chains was the one she put most effort into. And in contrast, she probably sang IRM because the crowd would like it.
Cory-Jayne
Previous username(s): Corky & CoryJ

Postby Cory-Jayne » 26 Jun 2017, 00:59

The G-A-Y YouTube channel uploaded the whole performance!
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 26 Jun 2017, 01:00

Totally agree Claudia. I think if she can channel the sincerity and conviction she demonstrated in 'Angel', it won't matter a bit that she hasn't got the best voice in the world, she has something far more important in terms of audience connection.
faster84

Postby faster84 » 26 Jun 2017, 01:02

The Spice Girls wrote:
faster84 wrote:She was very nervous at the very beginning with look at me (you can hear it was not very good) but she got warmed up with our love, she relaxed and she gave me goosebumps with Freedom. She was so so so sweet and genuine and I appreciated the courage she had to come back and share this song with us.

I fixed it, thank you
Peter

Postby Peter » 26 Jun 2017, 01:18

faster84 wrote:
The Spice Girls wrote:

I fixed it, thank you

Amazing, will watch them when am sober/back to life, alrirte cheers pal!
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 26 Jun 2017, 01:43

I was there last night and it sounded amazing! Me and Craig met Geri today and she said she wasn't happy with it and didn't think it was very good. She said it was too loud and she couldn't hear herself and thought she was very pitchy. She was completely honest about how she felt. Her smile beamed when we said how good she was but you could see she was really disappointed in herself and the whole thing. She was lovely though and wrote us a personal congrats message for our wedding which she picked out the wedding dress postcard from the Look At Me CD to write it on. I thought that was a real nice and genuine Geri thing to do
MarksGroove

Postby MarksGroove » 26 Jun 2017, 02:03

faster84 wrote:
Kevsie wrote:Oh DenDen

I completely agree!

+1
Jer

Postby Jer » 26 Jun 2017, 02:24

Samuel-Bennett wrote:I was there last night and it sounded amazing! Me and Craig met Geri today and she said she wasn't happy with it and didn't think it was very good. She said it was too loud and she couldn't hear herself and thought she was very pitchy. She was completely honest about how she felt. Her smile beamed when we said how good she was but you could see she was really disappointed in herself and the whole thing. She was lovely though and wrote us a personal congrats message for our wedding which she picked out the wedding dress postcard from the Look At Me CD to write it on. I thought that was a real nice and genuine Geri thing to do

Aww that makes me really feel for her. That's what gravitates me (and I suspect many other fans) towards Geri; her vulnerability and sincerity. She's always worn her heart on her sleeve. Throughout her career people have shit on her. The press, the general public, and even her fans (as this forum often illustrates, sadly) have always gladly pointed out her short comings. However, her willingness to not let the naysayers stop her is what makes her one of the most admirable musicians out there in my opinion. She could easily clap back or even quit the industry altogether, but she perseveres and doesn't give up on her dream. Whether 29 or 44, this woman has fucking girl power and that's why I will ALWAYS have her back. As a fan, she made me proud with her performance :inlove:
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 26 Jun 2017, 02:34

Cory-Jayne wrote:

The G-A-Y YouTube channel uploaded the whole performance!

She should become a full time lyricist.
1000 monks. 1000 religions.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 26 Jun 2017, 08:32

Jer wrote:
Samuel-Bennett wrote:I was there last night and it sounded amazing! Me and Craig met Geri today and she said she wasn't happy with it and didn't think it was very good. She said it was too loud and she couldn't hear herself and thought she was very pitchy. She was completely honest about how she felt. Her smile beamed when we said how good she was but you could see she was really disappointed in herself and the whole thing. She was lovely though and wrote us a personal congrats message for our wedding which she picked out the wedding dress postcard from the Look At Me CD to write it on. I thought that was a real nice and genuine Geri thing to do

Aww that makes me really feel for her. That's what gravitates me (and I suspect many other fans) towards Geri; her vulnerability and sincerity. She's always worn her heart on her sleeve. Throughout her career people have shit on her. The press, the general public, and even her fans (as this forum often illustrates, sadly) have always gladly pointed out her short comings. However, her willingness to not let the naysayers stop her is what makes her one of the most admirable musicians out there in my opinion. She could easily clap back or even quit the industry altogether, but she perseveres and doesn't give up on her dream. Whether 29 or 44, this woman has fucking girl power and that's why I will ALWAYS have her back. As a fan, she made me proud with her performance :inlove:

Even her so-called fans are shitting on her...

Thanks for sharing this, Sam. I feel for her feeling it went so terribly wrong (though it was kind of obvious she couldn't hear herself, struggling with her earpiece and so on... Thankfully she performed for an audience that (generally) are very forgiving and love Geri for being Geri.

And I completely agree with you also, Jer. I love her for being vulnerable. For continuously trying and giving it her best, even though it must feel like the world is against her sometimes.

She's like the equivalent of a bumble bee. Despite the odds not in her favour, she still flies simply because of pure determination and will-power! I love her for that! Such an inspiration <3
mattchat

Postby mattchat » 26 Jun 2017, 10:27

I thought she sounded great Saturday night . Enjoyed look at me and the pop version of Its raining men. Missed the dance routines but she definitely had stage presents. Hopefully it will encourage her to do more 'pop/ dance music' as that's what her fans want !!
DannyDirnt

Postby DannyDirnt » 26 Jun 2017, 11:54

I think she only needs to warm up. You can see how during Look At Me she's so scared she cdoesn't even put any emotion into what she's singing. Her performance of AIC is amazing and IRM too.
AmAdEus.lb

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 26 Jun 2017, 12:12

Lol at Geri trying to be 'Credible Spice'. In fact we already have one called Melanie C. It is boring as fuck.
Please take away the microphone from her and put her in some sexy outfit and make her record a big dramatic bop a la Look At Me.
Geri we fell in love with you because of you were Showgirl number 1 and because of your catchy melodies, persona and sass. Bring it all back girl.
I am sure the entire world would support her if she comes back with a sassyy new image, a catchy mature , orchestra filled tune and some of that spice she injected in the past.
Thom
Previous username(s): THOM
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 26 Jun 2017, 12:23

i don't mean to dish cause i think she's brave and very vurnerable with preforming live.
But in advance i don't who i told here: 'she will have trouble with her earpieces if she sings some dodgy notes' and look at this. she rehearsed a week long AND on the night her earpiece doesn't work. hmmm. that's oldest trick in the book, Mariah Carey does it all the time.

the thing i think is she shouldn't want to try and be who she isn't. She isn't Adele. She isn't a decent songwriter. She can write a hell of good popsong but don't try to make it out that is more that than that. And she's a hell of preformer with wicked concepts (legs, banana, ...) My humble advice is stick to that 'cause that is what you do best and evolve IN that way not in a different direction.

imo she should find a way between preforming and singing live - a kylie minogue way not a Britney way.

but again, just my two cents. loved her bravery and vurenability
...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

http://youtu.be/oxRWqirflxk
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 26 Jun 2017, 12:39

Some people really need to balance their opinions. Those saying she was terrible and she should retire are being too unnecessarily negative (let the girl do what she wants, it's not like she was performing to an empty venue and it was sad to see, she still has fans). But those saying she was brilliant are too deluded cause she wasn't. Not everything is brilliant vs terrible, you know. She was somewhere in between, there's not need to be on the extremes.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Schurli_22

Postby Schurli_22 » 26 Jun 2017, 13:01

I´m proud of her for this Gig!! Love her and can´t wait to hear more of her!!

Return to “Geri Halliwell”