Constructive criticism for her voice

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
pinkbecca12

Constructive criticism for her voice

Postby pinkbecca12 » 26 Jul 2017, 16:16

this is not making fun of Geri, I love her to death and Man On The Mountain is an amazing album overall, but this vocal register she's using that sounds like a skeleton speaking is not nice to the ears, she wasn't doing this in past songs, I can't believe no one is telling her that this register doesn't suit her, I put clips together of the sound she makes as she prounounces some words:

Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Re: Constructive criticism for her voice

Postby Javi » 26 Jul 2017, 16:24

I don't mind that sound she makes. I don't think that's related to her register at all. That's something Victoria did too back then in some songs (I.O.U. comes to mind). It's just a way of dragging the words, it has nothing to do with the register. I do agree she does it way too much, though.

But what really annoys me is the way she sings the ea/ai sound (heal, pain, chains...) that seems to be out of tune and also the fact that her new songs are too high and she doesn't sound that good in a lot of moments because of it. She could use a lower key in most of her new efforts.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Bubble_Butt
Previous username(s): Irish_Eyes
Custom Title: OxyMORON

Postby Bubble_Butt » 26 Jul 2017, 22:54

I dont think that particular style she has adopted in recent times is connected to her register. But it feel forced, like shes trying to force emotion into the words. It doesn't sound good (maybe a few times is ok) but she does this all the time now and it is very grating. It's now become a habit for her - a bad habit.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 27 Jul 2017, 00:04

I don't mind that too much although I have noticed it too and I don't think it's got to do with her register

Butt she's just finding a way of sining...

A bit late in the game, yes. But she's still trying.

Let's remember she's never been that good and we've heard of producers saying she struggled or they used autotune so well... hope she finds her path in the way of singing
kamel

Postby kamel » 27 Jul 2017, 00:19

I miss her old voice,i dont like her new voice,its not good, the way she prounounces some words, she sounds like she is doing the vocal fry while she sing :death: someone needs to tell her to stop, i didnt like Britney use the vocal fry :death:
https://www.becomesingers.com/technique ... ry-singing

Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 27 Jul 2017, 00:34

Geri: stop doing music. Now. When you weren't doing music you were shit. When you were baking you were shit. When you decided to ruin a Spice Girls reunion by being pregnant, you were shit. When you finally decided to do music again, your singing was shit. When you decided to perform live you were shit. Your song didn't chart because it was shit (as obviously the current UK top 5 chart is the best music ever recorded in history of man). In short, unless you behave and do exactly as we tell you to, you will be shit. So stop it immediately. We are the experts here, not you.

However, if you do ask us, please don't feel the need to develoup and experiment as an artist, repeat these four songs as singles over and over again; Look At Me, Mi Chico Latino, Summertime, and Bag It Up, and release the same album over and over again (Schizophonic, as both Scream If You Wanna Go Faster and Passion were obviously shit).

As you clearly seem to have forgotten, you are fans of us, not the other way around. Capeesh?
pinkbecca12

Postby pinkbecca12 » 27 Jul 2017, 08:09

Andreas wrote:Geri: stop doing music. Now. When you weren't doing music you were shit. When you were baking you were shit. When you decided to ruin a Spice Girls reunion by being pregnant, you were shit. When you finally decided to do music again, your singing was shit. When you decided to perform live you were shit. Your song didn't chart because it was shit (as obviously the current UK top 5 chart is the best music ever recorded in history of man). In short, unless you behave and do exactly as we tell you to, you will be shit. So stop it immediately. We are the experts here, not you.

However, if you do ask us, please don't feel the need to develoup and experiment as an artist, repeat these four songs as singles over and over again; Look At Me, Mi Chico Latino, Summertime, and Bag It Up, and release the same album over and over again (Schizophonic, as both Scream If You Wanna Go Faster and Passion were obviously shit).

As you clearly seem to have forgotten, you are fans of us, not the other way around. Capeesh?

:laugh:
pinkbecca12

Postby pinkbecca12 » 27 Jul 2017, 08:17

Andreas wrote:Geri: stop doing music. Now. When you weren't doing music you were shit. When you were baking you were shit. When you decided to ruin a Spice Girls reunion by being pregnant, you were shit. When you finally decided to do music again, your singing was shit. When you decided to perform live you were shit. Your song didn't chart because it was shit (as obviously the current UK top 5 chart is the best music ever recorded in history of man). In short, unless you behave and do exactly as we tell you to, you will be shit. So stop it immediately. We are the experts here, not you.

Everyone has opinions on whatever she does or doesn't do, this is human nature, its normal to want something similar to what the artist gave in the past, I'm so happy that she's making music, I don't mind this sound she makes, I'm just pointing out that she does it a lot lately and its my only annoying part of her voice but I'll take it rather than her baking, and like I said, Man On The Mountain is a great album overall. :)
-Claudia-

Postby -Claudia- » 27 Jul 2017, 12:01

pinkbecca12 wrote:this is not making fun of Geri, I love her to death and Man On The Mountain is an amazing album overall, but this vocal register she's using that sounds like a skeleton speaking is not nice to the ears, she wasn't doing this in past songs, I can't believe no one is telling her that this register doesn't suit her, I put clips together of the sound she makes as she prounounces some words:

I'm assuming this is you that's tweeted it to her, just to make sure she's seen it... :think: https://twitter.com/PinkBecca/status/890458640053915648
Sorry maybe I'm alone in this, I just think that's rude rather than constructive.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 27 Jul 2017, 13:59

^Look at her twitter feed, it's mostly tweets telling everyone what they should or shouldn't do.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
GZ10

Postby GZ10 » 27 Jul 2017, 14:20

-Claudia- wrote:
pinkbecca12 wrote:this is not making fun of Geri, I love her to death and Man On The Mountain is an amazing album overall, but this vocal register she's using that sounds like a skeleton speaking is not nice to the ears, she wasn't doing this in past songs, I can't believe no one is telling her that this register doesn't suit her, I put clips together of the sound she makes as she prounounces some words:

I'm assuming this is you that's tweeted it to her, just to make sure she's seen it... :think: https://twitter.com/PinkBecca/status/890458640053915648
Sorry maybe I'm alone in this, I just think that's rude rather than constructive.

Came here to say this as well. You emphasize that it is not meant to be "rude", but it is rather rude to make a video compiling clips of what you "don't like" about her voice, and then let alone tweeting it to her to try and make your opinion even more known/validated. It is not your place to do so. Let the woman live and do what she wants as long as she's happy. If you don't like the way she sings certain things, don't listen to her :)
pinkbecca12

Postby pinkbecca12 » 27 Jul 2017, 14:42

-Claudia- wrote:

wow, please tell me where's the rude part when I explained how much I love Geri and the album!!, we are all listening to her songs, maybe nobody is telling her that this particular voice she makes is not nice, that's why I wrote "constructive", I could've been negative but luckily the album's full of great songs so they outweigh the bad vocals.
pinkbecca12

Postby pinkbecca12 » 27 Jul 2017, 14:45

Javi wrote:^Look at her twitter feed, it's mostly tweets telling everyone what they should or shouldn't do.

if you follow celebs then what are you going to tweet them??, compliments and things you'd like to see from them, I'm just overly passionate, I hope you didn't waste your time reading my tweets :satan:
pinkbecca12

Postby pinkbecca12 » 27 Jul 2017, 14:51

GZ10 wrote:
-Claudia- wrote:

Came here to say this as well. You emphasize that it is not meant to be "rude", but it is rather rude to make a video compiling clips of what you "don't like" about her voice, and then let alone tweeting it to her to try and make your opinion even more known/validated. It is not your place to do so. Let the woman live and do what she wants as long as she's happy. If you don't like the way she sings certain things, don't listen to her :)

did you not read what I wote?? "I love her to death and Man On The Mountain is an amazing album"
so if you love someone and they're standing in front of you with a ketchup stain next to their mouth, would you not tell them??, I hear this new vocals as a ketchup stain on Geri, so I am telling her that its not nice on her, no big deal if she doesn't change, I still love her unconditionally, have a good day, and go search for the meaning of constructive criticism.
pinkbecca12

Postby pinkbecca12 » 27 Jul 2017, 15:14

everyone is welcomed to read my twitter @pinkbecca
I don't lick anyone's ass, if I love something I say it and if I dislike something I say it, and I accept the same in return, if there's constructive criticism being said to me I accept it with open arms, I don't see that its negative and "rude'' like some of you said, I already said I love Geri, we all love her, bring me 1 song from the past that has this current vocal register, there's a reason why she wasn't singing like this because she knew her limit with her voice, its not wrong telling her what part of her voice suits her, I love all her vocal tones except for this one she's doing lately, I am not a judge on X Factor or a professional voice coach but everyone knows what they like to hear from their favourite singers, when you see those judges giving constructive criticism to the contestants on how to use their voice, does that mean that they're being "rude"???
spicyhot

Postby spicyhot » 27 Jul 2017, 15:27

I quite like that croaky sound she makes.
-Claudia-

Postby -Claudia- » 27 Jul 2017, 15:44

pinkbecca12 wrote:wow, please tell me where's the rude part when I explained how much I love Geri and the album!!, we are all listening to her songs, maybe nobody is telling her that this particular voice she makes is not nice, that's why I wrote "constructive", I could've been negative but luckily the album's full of great songs so they outweigh the bad vocals.

^^ Well that's great but when you tweeted her the video with the title "Geri singing in the wrong vocal range" or whatever it was, you didn't say anything like that. You've taken the time to clip and point out all the "bad" bits and tweet it to her :dizzy: In my opinion that's rude, not constructive.

But, anyway.
AcidBurn
Custom Title: Triple Goddess Three

Postby AcidBurn » 27 Jul 2017, 21:35

Don't feel the need to defend or explain yourself. It's just your opinion.

Anyway, I absolutely do not like when people sing like that either. Victoria does this a lot in her songs as well (in "Resentment" it's particularly bad) and it's always been a pet peeve of mine.
Kareem

Postby Kareem » 28 Jul 2017, 09:43

More and more geri is becoming like Florence Foster Jenkins. Someone need to give her a wake up call tbh.

Return to “Geri Halliwell”