Passion era interview, talked about 100% Pure Love, Breaking Glass, True love never dies......

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
ep7210

Passion era interview, talked about 100% Pure Love, Breaking Glass, True love never dies......

Postby ep7210 » 31 Jul 2017, 18:56

Never really watched this interview before, it's quite cool that she talked a lot about tracks like 100% pure love, true love never dies, breaking glass, love is the only light, and the tracks on Passion of course, even talked about THAT documentary. although the enegry of the whole interview was so nay, but worthy watching.

PeruvianSpice

Re: Passion era interview, talked about 100% Pure Love, Breaking Glass, True love never dies......

Postby PeruvianSpice » 31 Jul 2017, 18:57

i've seen it back in the day... it was so intersting but still sad to see her so sad
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Re: Passion era interview, talked about 100% Pure Love, Breaking Glass, True love never dies......

Postby Andreas » 31 Jul 2017, 19:08

Back in the day I was kind of annoyed that she snubbed me for saying she was doing a "comeback" (when what I meant was a return), but looking back at how miserable she was and the facts that 1) she had been ordered by EMI to do this album, and 2) at the point of this An AudienceWith, she already knew that once the album was out, her contract with EMI was over and there would be no more "Passion", her attitude is somewhat understandable.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 31 Jul 2017, 19:22

Oh you got to ask her a question? :D

I wish one day I'll meet her

But her whole attitude was down... she was "lost" in a way...
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 31 Jul 2017, 20:16

PeruvianSpice wrote:Oh you got to ask her a question? :D

I wish one day I'll meet her

But her whole attitude was down... she was "lost" in a way...

Extremely lost. I think she was definitely without a sense of direction after "Passion" was released and her contract wasn't renewed. Not that I think she expected it to but I definitely think the third album was kind of a security blanket for her. That even if she hadn't managed to hit it big in the US or Hollywood by herself, she always had the option of that last album.

Fans from all over the world got to ask her questions, I think it was through a form on her website or possibly sent to an email address. My memory escapes me but the questions were sent electronically prior to the event. Then fans who attended was able to ask questions and also received a goodie-bag, if I'm not wrong.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 31 Jul 2017, 21:33

OH that sounds interesting

I remember Reading (dunno if during the Angels in Chains era or when) that Geri was kinda lost in the direction of the 3rd album and it was the record Company who suggested more songs and that's why it turned out so mismatched
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 01 Aug 2017, 00:02

Geri definitely seemed to have an idea of a direction when she started the album in 2004, and initially it was going to be called "Disco Sister" or "Disco Sister Music" (and, as we know EMI wanted "100% Pure Love" as the first single).

But I guess, even after scoring a top 4 hit with "Ride It", EMI wasn't too confident with the album, so they "suggested" she'd take more time making it, which she apparently agreed to do. She changed her management aswell in the beginning of 2005, the announced tour fell apart... Must have been such a confusing time for her. And for some unknown reason, EMI didnt push another single between november 2004 and May 2005. Possibly because Geri was still reluctant about releasing "Love Never Loved Me" in fear it was too personal. And with the album being pushed back, so was the 2nd single, I guess. "Ride It" was only meant to be testing the waters anyway, but they should have taken advantage of its success.

Then she was presented with "Desire" (through Ian Masterson I believe) who knew how badly Geri had wanted "Some Girls" (that Richard X made for Rachel Stevens), Ian thought the two songs sounded very similar.

It was here that Geri decided to release "Desire (Your Kiss Kills)" (as the working title was) to launch the album, she loved "Desire" and thought it would be a hit.
Fenrik
Custom Title: OSLOVE

Postby Fenrik » 01 Aug 2017, 02:30

Desire is my favorite Geri single! :love:
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 01 Aug 2017, 04:27

Andreas wrote:
Then she was presented with "Desire" (through Ian Masterson I believe) who knew how badly Geri had wanted "Some Girls" (that Richard X made for Rachel Stevens), Ian thought the two songs sounded very similar.

From Wikipedia

"Some Girls" was written by producer Richard X and songwriter Hannah Robinson. They spent several days working on the song, with girl group Girls Aloud in mind as potential performers.[1] Warp Records and Simon Fuller of 19 Entertainment contacted Richard X by email to ask that he give the song to Geri Halliwell or Stevens, respectively, to record. He agreed to have Stevens record the song after Richard Curtis asked about using the song for Sport Relief 2004.[2] Richard X later stated that he was surprised Sport Relief chose such a sexually suggestive song.[1] When Halliwell found out that the writers were having Stevens record the song, she locked herself in her car in an attempt to change their minds, and she later wrote Richard X a love song.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 01 Aug 2017, 05:13

WhatTheHell wrote:
From Wikipedia

"Some Girls" was written by producer Richard X and songwriter Hannah Robinson. They spent several days working on the song, with girl group Girls Aloud in mind as potential performers.[1] Warp Records and Simon Fuller of 19 Entertainment contacted Richard X by email to ask that he give the song to Geri Halliwell or Stevens, respectively, to record. He agreed to have Stevens record the song after Richard Curtis asked about using the song for Sport Relief 2004.[2] Richard X later stated that he was surprised Sport Relief chose such a sexually suggestive song.[1] When Halliwell found out that the writers were having Stevens record the song, she locked herself in her car in an attempt to change their minds, and she later wrote Richard X a love song.

Some of that I find questionable. Like 19 management/Simon Fuller asking Richard X for the song to give it to either Geri or Rachel, as Geri was not with 19 Management at this point. Neither did Richard X want Geri to do the song, as he has never liked her very much. Which he stated very clearly after the incident where Geri locked herself in a car with Richard, by writing the song "Me plus One" about Geri (recorded and released by Norwegian singer/DJ Annie).

Also, that Geri later wrote a love song to Richard I've never heard of before, and I wonder what source there is that says this.

But then, anyone can edit a Wikipedia page, so whatever's on there should be taken by a good pinch of salt anyway.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 01 Aug 2017, 05:20

Geri was all camp and Geri with "Ride It" (Even with its awful video) and she changed so much in style with "Desire" ... but oh well
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 01 Aug 2017, 05:27

PeruvianSpice wrote:Geri was all camp and Geri with "Ride It" (Even with its awful video) and she changed so much in style with "Desire" ... but oh well

I think her direction and motivation for the album changed a lot once EMI informed her this was going to be the final album. So out went some of the silly disco tunes (like Set Me Off and Turn It On (was it?)), and in came the more "serious" pop- and cabaret-songs (like Desire, Passion, etc).
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 01 Aug 2017, 05:28

Hmm I think she wanted to transition into a "serious" artista at some point... but I wish she'd released her "Disco Sister album
PoshInMaine
Previous username(s): BostonBeebs

Postby PoshInMaine » 01 Aug 2017, 19:40

She looks absolutely gorgeous in this interview. I love her fringe and hair color. Her skin is absolutely glowing.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 01 Aug 2017, 20:37

Somehow, I think that look makes her look older
spicyjellybaby
Custom Title: AKA Kingellybaby

Postby spicyjellybaby » 02 Aug 2017, 01:31

In hindsight she seems a bit of a knob here. Clearly depressed about the mess of it all and having to host a small meet and greet but just has one of those "artist" arrogant chips on her shoulder.

She seems a bit more humble these days
Adam
Mod

Postby Adam » 02 Aug 2017, 08:21

I was here and it was all very depressing.

The point was to reward those people who signed up to the failed Geri fan club. Which was then abandoned. To make up for it members were invited to bring themselves and. Friend to an exclusive meet with Geri. So the reason for the meeting was sad - ie her fan club failed (probably due to low numbers).

To make things worse the venue was only 2/3s full. There was a tonne of empty seats that you cannot see. So essentially her fan club looked like it was made up of 40 people. Some of which were very strange people indeed! Ha!

It all felt very sad especially as we all knew that Passion had failed in the charts (it had either charted already or the midweeks has already been shared).
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 02 Aug 2017, 08:56

Adam wrote:I was here and it was all very depressing.

The point was to reward those people who signed up to the failed Geri fan club. Which was then abandoned. To make up for it members were invited to bring themselves and. Friend to an exclusive meet with Geri. So the reason for the meeting was sad - ie her fan club failed (probably due to low numbers).

To make things worse the venue was only 2/3s full. There was a tonne of empty seats that you cannot see. So essentially her fan club looked like it was made up of 40 people. Some of which were very strange people indeed! Ha!

It all felt very sad especially as we all knew that Passion had failed in the charts (it had either charted already or the midweeks has already been shared).

That's right! I completely forgot about this! Must have been very depressing for her, as she managed to score a top 4 hit with Ride It and seemed happy enough with that, and then have the album and single perform the way it did (or didn't).

I really do hope she will continue to do music and release the album she is working on right now. But there definitely seem to have been a specific era where Geri ruled the charts, an era which had passed already back then.
Bubble_Butt
Previous username(s): Irish_Eyes
Custom Title: OxyMORON

Postby Bubble_Butt » 02 Aug 2017, 18:46

Ugh, I'd forgotten about that annoying interviewer who had as much charisma and personality as Morrissey on a depressant.

This was also around the same time that TSAG was shown on TV which made her look crazy and unstable, and she took a bashing from the media. Not a good time at all to be a Geri fan and there was an air of finality in the whole thing.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 02 Aug 2017, 20:51

She (or the label) took to long to make decisions.

So long between 2nd and 3rd album (well, this probably had to do with Geri wanting a time off)
So long between "Ride It" and "Desire"
Announcing a tour when they weren't sure how her fans would reacht (she wasn't at the top anymore, sadly)
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 02 Aug 2017, 21:33

With the tour it was the management she had during the release of "Ride It" that failed completely, booking big arenas when she should've focused on smaller venues. The same people was behind the fan club fiasco, if I'm not wrong.
Adam
Mod

Postby Adam » 02 Aug 2017, 22:31

Andreas wrote:With the tour it was the management she had during the release of "Ride It" that failed completely, booking big arenas when she should've focused on smaller venues. The same people was behind the fan club fiasco, if I'm not wrong.

Yeah same company.

I reckon they flattered Geri when they approached her. Told her she was a huge star. Said they had huge plans for her. Sold her on her own fan club and doing her own tour. Sadly they completely overestimated her audience reach and I suspect, wasted a tonne of her money 'going big'.

She should have known better than let a company feed her ego. They seemed like a bunch of amateurs.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 02 Aug 2017, 23:02

Adam wrote:Yeah same company.

I reckon they flattered Geri when they approached her. Told her she was a huge star. Said they had huge plans for her. Sold her on her own fan club and doing her own tour. Sadly they completely overestimated her audience reach and I suspect, wasted a tonne of her money 'going big'.

She should have known better than let a company feed her ego. They seemed like a bunch of amateurs.

She definitely should've known better. Especially since she already had closed down her first fan club several years prior due to low membership I assume.

But the more I look back the more I'm convinced she was very lost in the middle of this, not knowing if she wanted to commit to music again... Or she was kind of oblivious that her fame, or relevance, at that point was fading (as it was with all the girls at this point). The space where she previously had something to offer, just wasn't there anymore.
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 03 Aug 2017, 00:25

The tour should have been done right after It's raining men.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 03 Aug 2017, 00:48

She always went on and on about touring during the Scream-era, though nothing happened. She performed in Russia and for the british troops in Oman. That's it. Even if she didn't sing a single note live, at least she was performing...

Luckily the Oman-footage is available though.

Return to “Geri Halliwell”